Tours Khao Sok Lake behind the Dam

timber

Does anyone know of a good tour of the lake behind the dam, (Khao Sok) Would like to spend

a day on the lake touring and doing photography. I looked up some tours and they are talking about

picking you up at 8:30 am and having breakfast and going to lake and coming home at 9:30 am for lunch.

I would like a serious tour starting early and traveling. Would appreciate recommendations. Our maybe

you can recommend a guide that can set things up.

Yeah, I wrote a report on GT-Rider at xmas ..

Are you talking about Khao Sok National park or Ratchapa Dam ( Cheiw Larn Lake ) ?

Khao Sok, is just a farang ghetto and Cheiw Larn kitted out for local tourists.

I left a name and telephone number of a good boatman on the GT report, book a government resort for 600B, he will stay on the pontoon with you, and head off on your mission just before sunrise. Another thing, canoes are free, just set your alarm early and get physical.

Cheiw Larn is Expensive, from what you have already seen, but it doesnt have to be if you screw your head on .. PM me if you have any questions.

• Like 2

Great report there, recom273, thanks .thumbsup.gif ... planning to head through this area in a week or two...

Khoa Sok area, should have the Raffleasia blooming.... (Jan - April) worth asking about the hikes to go see that.... if is currently in bloom.

Surratthanii's provincial flower.

IMG_0108.JPG

Worth the hike to see!

The back country lake area looks fabulous!

• Like 1

It would be great to hear how you got on, we walked the trail from the entrance to the first set of rapids .. say 3-4 hours, it was just a walk down a big signposted track, no guide needed.

However, there was a moment that there was some unusual monkey appeared, all the guides started screaming to their customers and the monkeys FO'd. We also heard guides at the entrance warning tourists they should take a guide due to the dangers of snakes ..

I saw guides carrying the tents, which i thought was pretty hard work .. but if you get a good service and see the Raffleasia then let me know.

For us the high point was the staying on the raft and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Are you talking about Khao Sok National park or Ratchapa Dam ( Cheiw Larn Lake ) ?

I left a name and telephone number of a good boatman on the GT report, book a government resort for 600B, he will stay on the pontoon with you, and head off on your mission just before sunrise. Another thing, canoes are free, just set your alarm early and get physical.

Cheiw Larn is Expensive, from what you have already seen, but it doesnt have to be if you screw your head on .. PM me if you have any questions.

Cheiw Larn Lake Thanks for the info. Bringing the wives no can't have too low of profile, have to have more of a plan

my wife loved it, just put 2 of them in a kayak and tell them there is a winning lottery ticket on that island. They will be going around in circles fro hours,

Cheiw Larn Lake Thanks for the info. Bringing the wives no can't have too low of profile, have to have more of a plan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of tour companies, that offer trips in the area..... (it was not on my agenda for this trip) .... spoke to several people who had done day trips and over night trips and said it was worth while....but not that cheap!!!.... perhaps one day will try! (?)

It's worth the 12 kms off the highway for the views from the view point area.... at the dam.

DSCN5356.JPG

^

Very nice photo. As it happens we took the time to drive out to this area from Phuket last year. I guess it was over 2 hours to get there. Spectacular scenery, but pick a good weather day to get the best of your day. We picked a cloudy, light rain day, so did not get the best sight of the views.

• Like 1

^

Very nice photo. As it happens we took the time to drive out to this area from Phuket last year. I guess it was over 2 hours to get there. Spectacular scenery, but pick a good weather day to get the best of your day. We picked a cloudy, light rain day, so did not get the best sight of the views.

Only two hours from Phuket ..... I had an hour and a half ferry ride just to get to Donsak! tongue.pngbiggrin.png But the roads are good in all areas, even for a motorbike!

I have misplaced one more set of images, I took of the area, when I find I will try to post more....

Yes, a rainy or cloudy day would not be worth while! whistling.gif ... I would guess with the west coast rainy season in the "summer months" would not be so good... this is what makes traveling on a bike a little harder! ..... I got caught in rain showers going to Penang (My) last year....sad.png