Car ferry Chumphon to Koh Tao

I've done a search and can't find any recent posts. Has anyone taken their car over to Koh Tao recently? Wondering how easy this is to do and the cost. Any thoughts/experiences welcome!

Thanks for the responses

For reference for anyone wanting information it is possible to take your car over on the ferry but at 2500 one way and 4000 return it's quite pricey.

There are no restrictions on bringing your car over to the island nor driving around although you really need a 4x4

You get the Ko Jaroen night ferry from the river just outside Chumphon town. I have done it many times. It sets off around 10 - 11 pm and arrives around 5 - 5 30 am the next day. As said it is quite expensive and I wouldn't be taking an expensive motor over there as the ferry is a landing craft type ferry that just drops the front of the boat onto the beach and off you drive. they even have air conditioned ferries now as well thumbsup.gif

You get the Ko Jaroen night ferry from the river just outside Chumphon town. I have done it many times. It sets off around 10 - 11 pm and arrives around 5 - 5 30 am the next day. As said it is quite expensive and I wouldn't be taking an expensive motor over there as the ferry is a landing craft type ferry that just drops the front of the boat onto the beach and off you drive. they even have air conditioned ferries now as well thumbsup.gif

In the end I left my car by the lomprayah ferry pier in their secure parking (50B per day) as I the cost didn't justify the length of my stay.

I did have a look at the ferries berthed in koh tao and would actually be fine bringing a car over on them: they now dock onto a solid concrete jetty and you literally just drive off, straight onto the road. That said it's probably not worth bringing a normal car over as the roads it's usable on are limited, a 4x4 would be fine though.

If I come again for longer, with friends with kids or with a lot of dive gear then I'll definitely be putting the car on the ferry..

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig this post back up, but I was thinking about taking my truck over to KoTao for a short break. is it still 4,000 return? I was thinking it would be cheaper and the cost would be covered by taxis to and from the place I am staying in Aow Luk.

Could anybody let me know the price of a taxi from the ferry port to Aow luk (there are 6 of us plus all the baggage)?

Would it be better, if we wanted to visit a beach on the west of the island, to take a boat rather than a taxi?

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Try to contact www.phuketferry.com for the exact information that you need. I always use this ferry booking agent and they have been very accommodating and are more than willing to provide helpful travel advice. They have the cheapest rates so far.

59 minutes ago, NYGuy816 said:

Try to contact www.phuketferry.com for the exact information that you need. I always use this ferry booking agent and they have been very accommodating and are more than willing to provide helpful travel advice. They have the cheapest rates so far.

How does Phuket Ferry Co.  help any one get to Samui, Koh Phangan or Koh Toa?

There are several options, Car ferry and walk on... Check Seatran, Lomprayah, Raja Ferries, websites. 

• 2 weeks later...

FerrySamui actually don't have best prices. They are just a front for the various ferry companies and receive discounted agent prices from them and then resells the tickets.

Some prices on their site appears at first glance to be cheaper, but actually when you click all the way through, then suddenly they'll add "taxes and surcharges" so the total price will actually cost more than if you booked directly from the ferry company websites.