English teaching reform in Thailand to begin this year

I agree that Thai students have spent a lot of time learning grammar, reading and writing skills but few have the real experience of speaking.

I found many Thai students afraid to make a mistake when speaking English so they don't. Call it saving face or whatever but it's a real fear that they have.

As a certified and experienced life coach, I started adding some coaching skills into my classes and found this worked for most students.

I went from being an English language teacher to an English language coach and many of my students benefited from this. They didn't need some one to teach them English... they already know it... what they needed was some one to help them develop the confidence to "use the language" without fear of making a mistake.

My Thai partner speaks good English and teaches 5 to 15 year olds English. They know how to read and write but cannot speak it. I volunteer an hour a week to talk English with the better students. They are at first very shy with little ability to pronounce many words. After a few hours it is amazing how quickly they can pick things up. They are a delight to chat and joke with while they learn to talk at the same time. Pehaps those with a bit of time could help out in the same way with family and friends who have students strugling with speaking English.

I am retired living in a village, gave free English lessons to who ever wanted them, helped with English homework etc. I was then approached by the local primary schools' English teacher to assist with vocabulary as he was proficient in reading and writing. End result I was threatened with deportation because I had no work permit. Figure it out for yourself.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have noted before in these types of threads, the elderly prathom teachers should be retired unless they have some decent English skills. I understand some small schools have teachers that teach all subjects including English but instead of wasting these students time with rote learning of the same song for the whole term as that's all they know they should employ decent Thai English teachers to visit all schools in the area.

At many primary schools I have encountered "English" teachers who have zero understanding of the language but have met maths and science home room teachers who have made a hell of a lot of difference to the way the students feel comfortable using conversational English.

My point is that the MoE should get tough on the dead wood English teachers instead of talking up the tablets etc.

I agree that Thai students have spent a lot of time learning grammar, reading and writing skills but few have the real experience of speaking.

I found many Thai students afraid to make a mistake when speaking English so they don't. Call it saving face or whatever but it's a real fear that they have.

As a certified and experienced life coach, I started adding some coaching skills into my classes and found this worked for most students.

I went from being an English language teacher to an English language coach and many of my students benefited from this. They didn't need some one to teach them English... they already know it... what they needed was some one to help them develop the confidence to "use the language" without fear of making a mistake.

My Thai partner speaks good English and teaches 5 to 15 year olds English. They know how to read and write but cannot speak it. I volunteer an hour a week to talk English with the better students. They are at first very shy with little ability to pronounce many words. After a few hours it is amazing how quickly they can pick things up. They are a delight to chat and joke with while they learn to talk at the same time. Pehaps those with a bit of time could help out in the same way with family and friends who have students strugling with speaking English.

I do exactly the same with my Thai partner it is very rewarding , the kids are so shy to start with but after awhile they open up and we have many a good laugh . We started with the kids next door now there are 15 kids coming every day for 2 -3 hrs . The added bonus in a small community is you become well known very quickly and we get invited to parties ,weddings ect and quite often one of the kids will bring fruit , fish or veggies for us . All just being part of a community .
  • Like 1

1. You have to educate your teachers in English. Right now many in the rural areas can not even answer simple questions like "What is your name?"

2. Teachers now adays teach grammar more then anything else as it is easy for them to, even if they teach it wrong.

3. If you are use a text book, there are other material that goes with it like CD's, work books and more. But the schools dont have them or use them.

Even if there is an offer for Thai teachers to learn English free, they are not even interested. Much more with the students.

diehard60, are you a teacher?

Aeehh...sorry. I'd taught English at at a "good" high school in lower northeast and had trained quite a few students for all sorts of competitions.

Two of them bet the <deleted> out of the other attending students/ schools. When we'd trained her speeches, we came to a topic which was...

One speech was about the English language.-blink.png

Part of her speech, a grade nine student, was:: Thai students in Thailand's schools have to learn a lot of GRAMMAR, but they don't have enough vocabulary to use it.

It's like flying to the moon without the Apollo.-wai2.gif

I have been following your posts of late and it strikes me that you are getting more and more frustrated as time goes by. I suspect you no longer love your job and have come to the point where the whole system frustrates you completely. It is also worth noting, that I feel you genuinely feel that you are a good teacher. However on a continuous basis, I see that when you post, your English grammatical skills are weak at best. At first, I thought it was just the typical typing errors that occur when we try to say what we want via the key board. You are obviously not a native English speaker, correct ? Anyway, I feel it's time for you to take a step back and have a long, hard look at yourself. Possibly, when you try to communicate with your Thai counterparts, they are indeed a little confused as to what you are trying to say, much like myself when I read your posts.

When I moved to Thailand, I tried the teaching game (because that's what it is) and it suited me. ...

sirchai hates teaching games in his recent post as he heard his co-teacher doing it. He doesn't know that it is one way of getting the attention of students. With games, you can see that children are happy and enjoying. I don't mean that you play football in the class that the students just need to run and kick the ball and keep their mouth shut.

It's not JUST about teaching and learning. It's also about using the language. It is very difficult to become proficient in a language that is not used. In addition to the number of hours in class, the students need to be listening and speaking in English on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Wasn't this the same monkey that did not want English to be Thailand's second language because he did not want the world to think that Thailand had been colonized?

At my provincial school, last year they started to teach English language Math(s) to the p2s and in May the now p3 students will also have science. Three subjects to be taught in English. There is hope after all!!!

As a teacher of English I have to say I am totally fed-up with this topic. Time and time again they blame the teachers.

Teachers in Thailand are told what to teach and how to teach it and to finish the book no matter whether the kids understand or not.

I have just completed marking their exams and have students with 3, 4 or 5 out of 30, and a total of 6,7,or 8 from 100, but I must pass them. These kids have no idea, they are lost at "good morning" and don't understand a thing.

It's not the teacher's fault, these kids are introduced to English for the first time way beyond their level of understanding.

For the sake of the kids, M.O.E. get your act together.

The existing Thai curriculum doesn't really clearly specify what they have to teach them. Our Thai teachers are using four different text books, not one of them is suitable for learners of a second language ( wrong English. grammar, sentence structure,etc..)

Whenever there's a "seminar" held by a book selling company, there's also at least one new English text book, as the teacher who made the deal with them, gets a good kickback.

If it's not the teachers' fault, whose fault is it then? Whenever we've got a meeting, all of them English teachers, it's always conducted in Thai.

When we hold seminars for Thai English teachers how to teach English effectively, the majority are similar to kids, as they're scared to speak at all.

I always tell them that they have to speak English with the kids, doesn't matter if a word is mispronounced. .

I use some words-in Thai when explaining a word, but not a whole sentence to explain. Simultaneous translation doesn't work.But that's what they're doing.

If foreign teachers, not being native English speakers, have to pass a let's say TOEIC examination, fair.Even flight assistants have to pass with not less than 700 points out of possible 990 points

How many Thai English teachers would even pass such a test? I know quite a few with a Master's in English, the thesis written by a foreigner.

Even the newcomers' English is more than questionable. Those who'll be teachers this May.....

It's not rocket science to find ways to change that. Send those who want to become English teachers to an English speaking country, let them attend a university for four years and when they come back, they speak English and don't lose that much face anymore.

Amazing is that this goes on for so many years.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

My girlfriends son has been learning english now for 2 years,the only words he knows are wheres my mum,i went to his school and asked teacher why he cant speak english after 2 years,he said we teach them english but they dont speak back to us in english just thai,he said they are not bothered because when they leave school they wont need to speak english.

My girlfriends son has been learning english now for 2 years,the only words he knows are wheres my mum,i went to his school and asked teacher why he cant speak english after 2 years,he said we teach them english but they dont speak back to us in english just thai,he said they are not bothered because when they leave school they wont need to speak english.

The "ordinary English lesson", without experienced foreign teachers usually consist of just copying a page, or a passage of an English book into their notebooks.

When I say experienced, I mean that those teachers should understand by the look in their eyes if they understood them, or not.

Not the students have to adjust their speech, the teachers have to do so.

Not necessarily true that they don't reply in English, as their teachers seldom speak English to them.

Many teachers, especially in rural areas are other subject teachers, but were chosen to teach English, once they can a sort of communicate in English.

The English teacher in my wife's village and those in nearby village schools can't speak a word in English. Aeeh, sorry they do. Hello on the phone.

You'll find many grade 12 students (M.6) who can't say one sentence in English. Nor do their teachers.

But to be fair, how many of us who live here for 15 years and more and can't even order a soup at a restaurant?-wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

It's not rocket science to find ways to change that. Send those who want to become English teachers to an English speaking country, let them attend a university for four years and when they come back, they speak English and don't lose that much face anymore.

You're right Sirchai. This is absolutely necessary and has been obvious for years. And if the MoE can't afford to send teachers to somewhere like Australia or New Zealand there are some excellent TESOL programs at RECSAM in Penang and RELC in Singapore that are much cheaper and probably much less confronting to a conscientious but unconfident Thai teacher.

I doubt, though, that many MoE policy makers are really serious about the importance of English. They may think it a good thing, something it would be useful to have, but not important enough to seriously invest in. "Thainess" in all its connotations is far more important to them than international communication.

• Like 1

You're right Sirchai. This is absolutely necessary and has been obvious for years. And if the MoE can't afford to send teachers to somewhere like Australia or New Zealand there are some excellent TESOL programs at RECSAM in Penang and RELC in Singapore that are much cheaper and probably much less confronting to a conscientious but unconfident Thai teacher.

I doubt, though, that many MoE policy makers are really serious about the importance of English. They may think it a good thing, something it would be useful to have, but not important enough to seriously invest in. "Thainess" in all its connotations is far more important to them than international communication.

Many schools also have the title "ASEAN learning school", beside the "World Class Standard school".

The ASEAN community will truly be an eye opener for Thailand's educational superiors at the MoE in Bangkok.

Funny enough.

I tutor some of my school's students on a Sunday. 2 hours, 4 kids.

Last week, I wanted to help them prepare for their Thai teacher's English test coming up this week.

They use the Smile book for P5.

So there I am, trying to see where they studied last. As i am going through the pages of what are 2-3 units, they kept telling me to skip skip skip.. All the long paragraphs were not taught. Only the pictures! Green pants, tall girl, etc etc. Boy with balloon....blah blah.

That entire book even the teacher could not read it herself, much less teach it. This is so so so bad for these students.violin.gif

My complaint for years and years is how they give book 1 to P1 and go up the numbers based on book number and P level. Not thinking that book one is LEVEL 1 English, not P1 English. beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 1

"Thai students could not speak English fluently even after learning hmm studying? being enrolled in English language classes for 16 years" Something they could do right now, at no or little cost would be to allow English speaking foreigners to come volunteer for up to 8 hours a week at schools, without all the work permit, budget siphoning, face saving garbage that stifles education here. I would like to do it. I have beyond masters in Ed, with decades of experience.

This has been a great idea... But it gets ignored! Because even outside the Budget, doing it for free... I firmly believe the idea is passed around that we... are not Thai! Will never be Thai! So Thank you very much... but no Thank you..... (Not anything about causing anyone to "Loose Face", causing anyone to even venture towards this thought... OK?) If you even think Nit Noy towards this venue... Money is all you care about...F*** evryone. everything else!

Shame on you!!!

Let me start this again... I don't want to be Thai... I didn't ask to be Thai... What I asked was to be able to show Thai Children that there are people in the world who care! So they grow up and have these memories of Foreign Friends who taught them where the heart really is... not in their wallet, purse... In their shorts... There are People who gave there life because they cared! Young Men and Women... This was a trait not unsimular of Thai Culture to take care of Families... to care about Father, Mother, Grandma... Grandpa and them as Brothers and Sisters... This wasn't an Asian Monopoly on this Idea...

If someone in the Government by chance gets to read (View) this Post. Insure they get it translated correcty and Co-Workers don't be afraid to ask your Boss if they were shown this article, and why have they not acted upon it's contents....??? Don't be afraid to ask if your Heart is truely home in Thailand.

If I ever got the chance to accept the offer to be welcomed to make Thailand a Permant Home... Yes I would greet it with open arms, relish it for the rest of my Life... Hold it as dear and close to my Heart as I do America. I know an extremely large crowd of Thai's who would Stand Up and Cheer! As I have been told repeatedly I am not a Farang.... I am Thai!! Through and Through!!

Let us help, Teach, take kids on field trips create Activities that are fun for all, including Parents... but Performed in English, where Their beloved Thai Language is not forgotten but comfortably tucked away in their Back Pack. Let us Do the Performing Arts using the World as an Open book to Choose from... Thus suprising Our College Professors on the Jump we have made on our Entry Level Scores and Knolledge. I could go on but I would fill pages on thos Forum...and if no One cares to Act Accordingly, my words would fall upon Deaf Ears......

In any Language, in any Country, City, Provience or any Culture.... "God Bless Our Children, Every One... of Them! They are our only Hope for a Clean, Stable, Honest, Respected.... Future.....

Ministers Act!

Those of you who truely care.... Thank You!

I hated School and learning ''French'' plus i was crap at it, no interest.. Then i moved to ''France'' and within 6-9 months, picked it up easily enough..

I would love to do ''Volunteering at a local School'', but you need a ''Work Permit''... ???

So, they aint doing themselves any favours with that situation..

The problem lies in customs and saving face they as Thai's can't speak English correctly because English is a hard language to learn. Most brits screw it up most of the time so do Americans. But having an Indian teach English is like having a Germany teach Thai.

I hated School and learning ''French'' plus i was crap at it, no interest.. Then i moved to ''France'' and within 6-9 months, picked it up easily enough..

And this goes to the heart of the matter.

How many children in Thai schools are really motivated to learn English? How many of them will be required to use it outside the classroom, in the community? Not in ten years' time, but today or tomorrow? Not a great many, I think. And if they have no immediate or near-immediate need to use the language, the motivation to work at it will be low.

A need to use English in real situations, obvious benefits in being able to do so, and the availability of a highly competent teacher/mentor - these are the ingredients for successful language learning. They're not widely available to Thai schoolchildren, or even their teachers. Without them I really question the wisdom of trying to teach English to all Thai kids at school.

May I suggest the following to Minister Chaturon.

1. Abandon the widespread one-period-a-week English offerings.

2. Provide a minimum of five periods per class a week in schools that apply for it and can provide a TESOL-qualified teacher of English for each class.

3. Make English an elective in schools where the enrolment is high enough to enable more than one foreign language to be offered.

4. Make English elective in university courses except for those where English is essential.

5. Use the money made available by withdrawal of funds from ineffective, token English classes to fund (1) bilingual school programs, where subject content and concepts are taught in both English and Thai, (2) high-intensive English programs for teachers who wish to teach English, and (3) high-intensive English for Specific Purposes programs for others (e.g. business people, service sector employees, police and civil servants) who have an immediate or imminent need to use English at a medium or advanced level.

As Robert the Bruce says above, if you really need to learn a language and have the opportunity to learn in a realistic environment (learning by using) you will do so much more efficiently that by sitting reluctantly in a classroom with 40 or 50 other variably reluctant classmates.

Learning a language and being somewhat fluent in it requires practice with speaking that language on a continual basis. Speaking it only in a classroom setting for an hour or two a week will not get you proficient. Hearing the language spoken on a regular basis is essential. The Thai government misses many opportunities to allow students a chance to hear the spoken language such as having foreign movies shown on television with Thai voice overs rather than being televised in their native language with Thai sub-titles. Most students also are embarrassed to let peers see them speak English outside the classroom. Thai cultural pride is at the root of many reasons why students do not become more fluent in English even after taking classroom instruction in the language for many years.

It's not JUST about teaching and learning. It's also about using the language. It is very difficult to become proficient in a language that is not used. In addition to the number of hours in class, the students need to be listening and speaking in English on a regular basis.

They should add an hour a day of conversational english taught by a NES.

Learning a language and being somewhat fluent in it requires practice with speaking that language on a continual basis. Speaking it only in a classroom setting for an hour or two a week will not get you proficient. Hearing the language spoken on a regular basis is essential. The Thai government misses many opportunities to allow students a chance to hear the spoken language such as having foreign movies shown on television with Thai voice overs rather than being televised in their native language with Thai sub-titles. Most students also are embarrassed to let peers see them speak English outside the classroom. Thai cultural pride is at the root of many reasons why students do not become more fluent in English even after taking classroom instruction in the language for many years.

They's started Bangkok news in the morning on TV about two years ago, but then stopped after only two months. Why don't they have cartoon channels only in English?

Then watching movies in English would make a huge difference in understanding it.There was a research a couple of years back, why Burmese people were better than Thais.

One explanation and good example was a woman showing her little child cartoons in English. Most Thai students have access to the world wide web.

There're so many English learning websites, but do Thai educators even know that? Covering listening, speaking, reading and writing for free.

Shouldn't all Thai students be encouraged to spend some time online not just chatting on facebook? Pretty strange to tell my kids to switch their phones off, when on facebook, while their teachers are doing the same <deleted>.

One way the other, they'll have to change their educational system in a way that students can fail. No teachers who lose face. Use common sense and don't lose face in the 21st century.-wai2.gif

They should add an hour a day of conversational english taught by a NES.

It's not just about being a Native English speaker.To teach English in Thailand, you'll have to have some sincere pedagogical and psychological knowledge.

The teacher must be able to find out if he/she's understood. Then teachers have to adjust their speech that the kids understand them. Doesn't work the way around.

Anyways, still a long way to go for Thailand. ASEAN will open many eyes, as too many people from poor ASEAN member countries will come to Thailand and even work for less money.

It's quite interesting when looking at Europe. Even considering the fact that most people do speak English, it's more than questionable how ASEAN could be of any use for Thailand.

Too many poor people will come to Thailand create huge problems for a nation that loses face. They don't.

Fact is that movie and cartoons in English, the effectiveness of free English learning websites etc....should be introduced by the government

They'd started news in English on TV, by Bangkok post about two years ago, but shut it down after only two months. Why?????

It has also prompted calls for the EU to cut back on the £1 billion it spends every year translating official documents into the organisation's 23 recognised languages.

Please see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/8041916/English-becomes-Europes-second-language.html

Edited by lostinisaan

The Thai school system needs to copy what the South Korean system is currently doing. They need to focus English at the elementary level. It makes no sense to start learning a new language when the children are in high school. Early intervention leads to success. I'm a special education teacher and when you implement programs at a young age you have a good chance that students will be successful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I disagree.

I have started to learn English in Grade 9...there was only a mandatory Russian "to choose" up till that very year in elementary school level ( till grade 8), even that was from grade 4 on).

I sincerely believe that I have learnt enough to be able to hold a conversation, read a book, write a forum post...and maybe a bit beyond that.

All this fro grade 9-12, in 4 years...the rest is practice.

I think it isnt really the quantity, it is the quality that Thailand lacks in English teaching, and it isnt even that having all native teachers...obviously, there must e something else to it, too.

While it is great that Thailand give English classes from grade 1, officially, it isnt much a use if the grade 6 kids still straggle to read simple 3-4 letter words.

The Thai school system needs to copy what the South Korean system is currently doing. They need to focus English at the elementary level. It makes no sense to start learning a new language when the children are in high school. Early intervention leads to success. I'm a special education teacher and when you implement programs at a young age you have a good chance that students will be successful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Starting early, if done in sufficient quantity (i.e. several hours a week, not just token "dripfeed", is good for two reasons: (1) It gives kids more time to master the language (and it does take a lot of time), and (2) younger kids master the pronunciation better.

However, older students, e.g. about P6, can pick up the concepts (grammar, pragmatics) quicker and can learn to read and write quickly compared to little kids. Older kids have all the linguistic experience of learning their first language, formally and informally, that can be transferred to the second language.

Older starters are more likely to retain their mother tongue accent (or a stronger one) than younger students, but accent really isn't an issue if it's not hard to understand. After all, French-accented English maybe has higher status than some native regional accents. And it's demonstrable that two non-native speakers of English can understand each other quite clearly where a native speaker may have difficulty. (Why is this? I remember ESL teachers in my hometown jokingly boasting that they can "speak ESL".)

Anecdotal information isn't always the best way to plan a curriculum for learning a language. A lot of older students can and do learn a second language quite successfully. Other students can't quite get their head around a new language even though they start learning when quite young. There are a lot of individual variables in learning.

Of the people who I know (sorry for being anecdotal--but it is based on working in nearly 20 different countries), there are a couple of things that seem to help, the most important is the actual use of the 2nd language. People who are exposed to, or use the language seem to speak better and function better in the 2nd language.

In Thailand, once out of the classroom, most students have little exposure to English. Even in EP/Bilingual and other intensive programs, their exposure outside the academic setting is limited.

• Like 2