Inexpensive original ideas for family days out in Bangkok?

BKK Blues Brother

We try to do something different most weekend's, boatride's/sight seeing etc.

One Saturday we did the boat,train,tuk - tuk in a day going around different scenic spots and temples in BKK.

We've enjoyed the rowing boats on Lumpini Park lake etc

What interesting and different family days out have you had in BKK???

Edited by BKK Blues Brother

Spend a day at Bangkoks Green Lung Phra Pradaeng, rent bikes I think 100B per day, like a day in the country.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=13.687187,100.571238&hl=en&ll=13.676679,100.563011&spn=0.096407,0.123596&num=1&t=m&z=13

Go down to the river near Khlong Toei, any of the little sois have a little boat dock will take you over for 50B or so.

Will try that one next, went to Benjakti park just round the corner and hired a peddlow out for an hour on the lake.

They hired out bikes with baby seats/trailer's as well.

The Turtle pool was pretty cool for the young uns.

Nice day out.

There's also commuter boats heading south from pier at the bottleneck there, go for over an hour down toward Samut Phrakan, lots of slummy-looking but lovely communities down there that hardly ever see farang, bring kids along and you'll be invited into people's houses for meals and all.

Can hire a guide for not much at all along the way.

Just have to head out early enough so you don't miss the last run back or it's a LONG trip home over land.

• Like 2

Muang Boran, Thailand's Ancient City theme park at Samut Prakan and very well done. Great reviews on Trip Advisor. 500/250B adult/kids or Thai price with work permit or driving licence 350/175B, includes cycle hire....get a tandem! (Huge area) BTS to Bearing and taxi from there costs less than 150B. Well worth the money.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1570011-d447399-Reviews-Ancient_City_Mueang_Boran-Samut_Prakan_Samut_Prakan_Province.html

• Like 2

I would just get out of Bangkok; leave early and then a quick drive to places like Pattaya, Hua Hin, Kanchanaburi, etc. Staying a night on a weekend is great too.

The best thing about Bangkok is really the central location; use it to your advantage to get out at every opportunity.

It's a long day. And it's not all in Bangkok. But one of my favorites is the weekend tourist train from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi "Bridge on the River Kwai". Start in BKK, end in BKK that same day. That counts, huh?

Leaves Hua Lamphong train station at 06:30 on Saturday and Sunday. Returns you that night. Best 120 baht deal in tourism IMO. But I'm a WW2 history buff. My recommendation- get off the train at K-Buri, spend the day in town and get back on the train on its way back through. The last segment of the trip isn't as worthwhile as visiting the museums and the famous bridge. (Still a good ride) Better yet, take Saturday's train up and Sunday's train back- spend the night.

Lots of links available, but most of them are commercial in nature so it's best to do a Google search.

Edited by impulse

Definitely Suan Siam, especially if you're catching up with other families.

Put the mats down and set up camp for the day, people can show up whenever and come and go as they please, rides and activities for all ages.

Food's pretty ordinary, best to take your own. Beer's cold though...

• Like 1

One for the railway enthusiasts.

Take the train from Wong Wian Yai all the way to Samut Songkhram (the train through the market), floating market nearby to browse and eat then train back. Free for Thais, 20 Baht for others.

You'll need to get up early to get one of the trains that actually connects across the river at Samut Sakhon.

When you say train, you mean skytrain or the mrt, or combo?

"You dont need to learn to love yourself; you just need to UNLEARN all the reasons you reject yourself..." -sent from TV app (Note 2).

Take the train from Wong Wian Yai all the way to Samut Songkhram (the train through the market), floating market nearby to browse and eat then train back. Free for Thais, 20 Baht for others.

You'll need to get up early to get one of the trains that actually connects across the river at Samut Sakhon.

are you talking about Amphoe Ampawa?

It's a long day. And it's not all in Bangkok. But one of my favorites is the weekend tourist train from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi "Bridge on the River Kwai". Start in BKK, end in BKK that same day. That counts, huh?

Leaves Hua Lamphong train station at 06:30 on Saturday and Sunday. Returns you that night. Best 120 baht deal in tourism IMO. But I'm a WW2 history buff. My recommendation- get off the train at K-Buri, spend the day in town and get back on the train on its way back through. The last segment of the trip isn't as worthwhile as visiting the museums and the famous bridge. (Still a good ride) Better yet, take Saturday's train up and Sunday's train back- spend the night.

Lots of links available, but most of them are commercial in nature so it's best to do a Google search.

Don't you think war crime tourism is distasteful? The bridge was built by slave labour and killed over 100,000 people but now it's a commercial operation with double pricing for farangs. I can't see the attraction at all.

• Like 1

Don't you think war crime tourism is distasteful? The bridge was built by slave labour and killed over 100,000 people but now it's a commercial operation with double pricing for farangs. I can't see the attraction at all.

My thoughts exactly... Until I went there. I found it a very humbling experience and would tell anyone to put it on their to do list. Having said that I have had people tell me that I should go see Cambodia's killing fields. That holds no interest for me at all.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1
  • Like 1

"You dont need to learn to love yourself; you just need to UNLEARN all the reasons you reject yourself..." -sent from TV app (Note 2).

Skytrain to Wong Wian Yai,

then a 3 minute biketaxi trip to Wong Wian Yai railway station

The Samut Sakhon / Samut Songkram stuff is by ordinary train.

• Like 1

are you talking about Amphoe Ampawa?

The train(s) go to Samut Sakhon city and Samut Songkram city,

Ampawa is a fair distance away.

Baan Silapin

Skytrain to for example Wong Wian Yai.

taximeter to Th. Charan Sanit Wong (?) Soi 3

at the very end of soi 3 there is a footbridge across the klong,

on the other side left there are some interesting old wooden houses

some small galleries

and also a place that offers Konn Dance shows, free for all

sometimes also puppet shows for kids

Interesting place.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly... Until I went there. I found it a very humbling experience and would tell anyone to put it on their to do list. Having said that I have had people tell me that I should go see Cambodia's killing fields. That holds no interest for me at all.

jb1

Been to the Killing Fields & Tuol Sleng and they are truly horrendous in that you shudder at man's inhumanity to man.

On the other hand the cemeteries at Khan, (far less visited than the bridge) are not only humbling but there is an incredible serenity about them.

Of course with a car a trip out to Hell Fire Pass is really mind blowing. Walk into it as a fit, well nourished person under that burning sun and see how it drains you as a tourist and then try to imagine cutting rock there as a malnourished ill treated POW.

I did and I can't imagine it.

• Like 1

No the SRT, there is (believe it or not) an SRT station in Wong Wian Yai here 13.724487,100.491554

It's a whole day out mind if you go all the way to the end.

I see melvinmelvin beat me to it, we've always walked from the BTS to the SRT :)