Lop Buri Residents Run For Lives As Floods Hit

george

Lop Buri residents run for lives as floods hit

LOPBURI: -- Residents of Lop Buri's Muang district ran for their lives early yesterday as flood waters swept through their villages.

Dozens of houses were wrecked, and cars, motorcycles and livestock were swept away.

"It's the worst flood here in 50 years," said one villager, as further downpours loomed.

Residents of the worst hit areas were ordered to move to higher ground.

The Meteorological Department issued new flashflood warnings yesterday - to residents of Tak, Sakon Nakhon, Nong Khai, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Roi Et and Si Sa Ket.

People living near the Yom River in Sukhothai's Kong Krailat disฌtrict and Phitsanulok's Bang Rakam district were warned the river might burst its banks.

The havoc in the North had the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Royal Irrigation Department locked in meetings yesterday, discussing how to best manage this year's rainy season.

"We'll be monitoring the situaฌtion closely," said Deputy Bangkok Governor Bannasopit Mekwichai.

He said teams were now at work installing pumps along many of Bangkok's canals, while in some areas temporary embankments were being built.

"We can also divert some water from upriver into the Chao Phya Dam," he said.

Prasart Thienratchaprasit, a senior official at the Irrigation Department, said run-off from the North would not affect Bangkok because the Chao Phya Dam could easily cope with water flows of as much as 3,000 cubic metres an hour.

In Nakhon Sawan the Chao Phya River is now carrying slightฌly more than 1,000 cubic metres an hour, he said.

--The Nation 2006-05-31

its really frightening to read about so many flood-cases in early June ! will we have to get used to similar news for the next 6 months ? I'd rather sell my car and buy a vessel for this year's travelling season, me thinks..... :o