Buying a second hand car ?

Hey im Dan ,studying in bangkok, i am planing to buy a second hand Honda accord (Year 2008-2012) ,but i have no idea about engine and other stuff about car, i just know how to drive thats it sad.png what i want know is what should i check before purchasing a car ? what about maintenance and first class insurance cost ? how can i detect flooded car ? can any one recommend a good dealer ? i have seen some used car in honda official website but price seems higher than other dealers like taladrod ,one2car ,unseencar.com .how about ownership transfer ? how much time will they take to complete all the transfer-ship formalities ? (PS: i will buy with full cash payment so i dont need any auto loan .) i have never deal this kind of stuff before , any advice will be appreciate

You're gonna pay near the same price for a used accord as you would for a new city. The used accord will most likely have survived an accident or two or a flood. Your money is better spent buying new, no problems then and also a warranty. It's the wise choice for someone with no motor experience.

You're gonna pay near the same price for a used accord as you would for a new city. The used accord will most likely have survived an accident or two or a flood. Your money is better spent buying new, no problems then and also a warranty. It's the wise choice for someone with no motor experience.

Yeah thats true but i dont like city or toyota altis because not enough leg room , i have seen 1 honda accord year 2011 ,11,000km running and asking price 900,000 and 1 year warranty from official honda showroom ,what do think about that deal ? i hope they wont sell any crap or flooded car

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Buying a s/h car is always risky especially if you don't know what your doing.

I recommend you buy s/h from an official Honda showroom with a warranty like the

one you mentioned, though you will pay over the odds as it's a Honda showroom compared

to buying privately from sites like Taladrod.

That's the price you pay for peace of mind and ease of purchase as they can do everything for you

including insurance.

The car you mentioned for sale seems reasonably priced if it's a 2.4cc engine.

If it's a 2.0cc it's about 100k bt over the odds.

Edited by sotsira
  • Like 1

Now is the best time to buy a 2nd hand car, especially small cars. Look for expats leaving the country for the best deal. There will be a rush of them leaving in June/July

Same goes for condo's, scooters, and golf clubs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now is the best time to buy a 2nd hand car, especially small cars. Look for expats leaving the country for the best deal. There will be a rush of them leaving in June/July

You forgot their women to....cheesy.gif

• Like 1

You forgot their women to....cheesy.gif

No money ,no honey hahaha

Why is that kurnell?

Back to 2ND hand cars, vehicle warranties are fully transferable.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Really ? I didn't know that ,how about insurance ? I think its not transferable ,isn't it ?

Buying a s/h car is always risky especially if you don't know what your doing.

I recommend you buy s/h from an official Honda showroom with a warranty like the

one you mentioned, though you will pay over the odds as it's a Honda showroom compared

to buying privately from sites like Taladrod.

That's the price you pay for peace of mind and ease of purchase as they can do everything for you

including insurance.

The car you mentioned for sale seems reasonably priced if it's a 2.4cc engine.

If it's a 2.0cc it's about 100k bt over the odds.

Yeah man that make sense ,hope i will go for Honda showroom ,do you know any good dealer ?

Buying second hand is crazy in Thailand. The prices are so high, better to buy new. 900,000 buys a nice new car with a 3 year warranty.

Yeah maybe ,i see most of the people they prefer brand new car

Buying second hand is crazy in Thailand. The prices are so high, better to buy new. 900,000 buys a nice new car with a 3 year warranty.

I would check some used classified websites especially one in particular which has a lot more private sellers than dealers who will mark up the price and have a greater interest and experience covering up damage. Given the low cost of labour here and high cost of cars a lot of what should be write offs end up going back on the road, the recent flood is also cause for concern. Warantee on new cars does afford some peace of mind and assurance. But given how little legal recourse there can be, and given the cheap labour mentoned earlier i feel second hand cars are a good proposition if you get a good one. I would check any car using Testcar to verify chasis and could also run it by a local honda dealership to make sure airbags and other features are entact.

it is a buyers market now, partially due to the abundance of second hand cars due to the 1st car rebate policy.

The gen 8 accord you mentioned is a great second hand value, especially at 650-700k for the 2,4EL with 70000-90,000 avg km (EL came with VSA and 8 airbags unlike the E trim) including the curtains which are the ones missing from 90 percent of whats on the road, the same ones which turn side impact iihs and ncap ratings of the same car from poor to good.

Disregard the advice telling you a new compact car like the city which has finally got VSA in top trim but with a mere 2 airbags and so barebone the b segment class lacks drivers center armrest will serve you better than an accord which listed for over 1.6m and selling for nearly 1m less. The one you were considering is more expensive but given the low km and 1 year warantee might be worth the premium, either way compared to the list price 700-900k for an accord is a lot more car for the money if you try to mitigate the inherent risks of buying second hand in thailand with respect to patched up writeoffs, flood exposed cars etc.

• Like 1

That may have been true a few years ago but nowadays you can buy a 4 year old car for half the price of a new car and expect it to only depreciate about 10% a year thereafter. If you buy a new Honda City, for example, and sell it two years later you could lose 300,000 baht when you sell it, but if you buy a 4 year old one and sell it two years later you may only lose 60,000 baht.

• Like 1

That may have been true a few years ago but nowadays you can buy a 4 year old car for half the price of a new car and expect it to only depreciate about 10% a year thereafter. If you buy a new Honda City, for example, and sell it two years later you could lose 300,000 baht when you sell it, but if you buy a 4 year old one and sell it two years later you may only lose 60,000 baht.

So true

I would check some used classified websites especially one in particular which has a lot more private sellers than dealers who will mark up the price and have a greater interest and experience covering up damage. Given the low cost of labour here and high cost of cars a lot of what should be write offs end up going back on the road, the recent flood is also cause for concern. Warantee on new cars does afford some peace of mind and assurance. But given how little legal recourse there can be, and given the cheap labour mentoned earlier i feel second hand cars are a good proposition if you get a good one. I would check any car using Testcar to verify chasis and could also run it by a local honda dealership to make sure airbags and other features are entact.

it is a buyers market now, partially due to the abundance of second hand cars due to the 1st car rebate policy.

The gen 8 accord you mentioned is a great second hand value, especially at 650-700k for the 2,4EL with 70000-90,000 avg km (EL came with VSA and 8 airbags unlike the E trim) including the curtains which are the ones missing from 90 percent of whats on the road, the same ones which turn side impact iihs and ncap ratings of the same car from poor to good.

Disregard the advice telling you a new compact car like the city which has finally got VSA in top trim but with a mere 2 airbags and so barebone the b segment class lacks drivers center armrest will serve you better than an accord which listed for over 1.6m and selling for nearly 1m less. The one you were considering is more expensive but given the low km and 1 year warantee might be worth the premium, either way compared to the list price 700-900k for an accord is a lot more car for the money if you try to mitigate the inherent risks of buying second hand in thailand with respect to patched up writeoffs, flood exposed cars etc.

thank you so much for ur information ,i donreally appreciate

are the car dealers at one2car any good?

am looking at the possibility of purchasing a used old Honda civic or accord (sub 200K) to use for 1 year or so.

Either that or I'm looking at an old C class or e-class (pre 2000) models

After which, do the dealers take old cars for trade in?

Accord and City is not the same. U can't compare a Serie 3 BMW with a Serie 7 model. New Accord cost from 1.3 to 1.7 Mill Baht. It's en upper midsize car. City is a budget car. Floormodel cost approx. 570'k. Different car, different options and different driving.