Cooling mouth from chile shock!

Jingthing

Chillies are oil based, so the heat is in the oil. Indians use naan bread, put it on the tongue and press it to the roof of the mouth and get rid of the oil. You need to soak it up so normal bread will do or cold rice.

yeah...when I first encountered seriously spicy cuisine in South America in the 60s I was advised to eat bread as an antidote to the mouth on fire syndrome but bread is usually consumed at each meal by white folks in those places which is not much help in Thailand...

in quechua speaking areas in central Bolivia chile is referred to by its quechua name 'locoto' and the local salsa is called 'yakkhhh-wa' (using a sound like bringing up phlegm prior to expectorating...)...

and there is also a class issue as picante cuisine is considered to be 'low class' by the 'buena gente' and they writhe histronically in agony when chile is accidentally ingested...

• Like 1

I always thought that the Thai way is best. Either chopped long beans, raw quartered cabbage leaf or sliced cucumber, all of which are a ubiquitous side-order with hot dishes. Either one of these garnished with some form of ice mostly does the trick. I find the cabbage leaf works best if something excessively hot hits my palette.

Thai's don't do milk!... not with somtam anyway.

Edited by NanLaew

Well, seeing that Chillies are seriously alkaline then any acid will calm them down! Vitamin C in any form will surffice, bite into an apple, have some orange juice, suck on a piece of pineapple, salty water rinse is good as well!

You could always lick your car battery terminals? thumbsup.giffacepalm.giftongue.png

Agree - the vendor of the hottest Laab I knew used lime juice to cool it down for me if he overdid it. Capsicum (? or whatever it is) in Chilli is alkaline and is rendered inert by the citric acid in lime juice.

Is that the American spelling for chilli??

I thought you were talking about a South American country at first

Hey Burl, there is no country in South America called chilli. Perhaps you are referring to Chile.

As a side note... Chili or Chilli ..... either or. I think we all understood the poster. If I were to spell check all the Thai visa posters, I would never have a chance to read anything. Besides, I am almost positive we both are going to get moderated, as spell checkers are not welcome. lol.

Is that the American spelling for chilli??

I thought you were talking about a South American country at first

Hey Burl, there is no country in South America called chilli. Perhaps you are referring to Chile.

As a side note... Chili or Chilli ..... either or. I think we all understood the poster. If I were to spell check all the Thai visa posters, I would never have a chance to read anything. Besides, I am almost positive we both are going to get moderated, as spell checkers are not welcome. lol.

Dude -- the linked article from a prominent magazine which I'm sure employs professional editors uses the spelling -- CHILE.

Next ...

The article suggests cold leftover rice. Not sure why it has to be cold.

Water to neutralise the alkali, cold to numb the nerves.

//Edit: Ooops read "Ice" - I guess rice because it is absorbent (removing the liquid on your tongue that will harbour the juices).

Edited by wolf5370

Watched a program on UK television not long ago that pointed out that chillies are in fact not at all hot. blink.png

What they have is some chemical that fools the taste buds into just thinking they are hot when in fact they are not.

So there you have it, no need for any cooling down solutions, just think COOL thumbsup.gif

Chillies are oil based, so the heat is in the oil. Indians use naan bread, put it on the tongue and press it to the roof of the mouth and get rid of the oil. You need to soak it up so normal bread will do or cold rice.

Yep, I thought I can not believe no one knows the real answer here...?

Any normal bread does it as above post, press around the mouth with tongue then discreetly drop into a napkin and dispose of it (or if you is a Cheap Charlie just Gob it out!) Also works for sea sickness... Bread that is