Getting a Thai ID card with aunt

Hello all,

I have been reading a lot about how to get a Thai ID card. I already have a Thai birth certificate and I have been able to get a Thai passport at a Thai embassy before. But as you all know, getting a Thai passport without the ID card doesn't get you anywhere in Thailand. (Sometimes they still make me pay the farang price. rolleyes.gif Although this is the least of my worries.)

I understand that it is straightforward to get a Thai ID card with a birth certificate once I get on a tambien baan. All I have to do is show up at the amphoe with my mother. At least this is what they told me at the embassy. The problem is that both my mother and I live in Europe and we rarely go to Thailand together.

My question is, would it be possible to do this with my Thai aunt who now lives in Thailand? She knows me very well as she came to Europe with my mother before I was born. She agreed to testify that I am a Thai citizen and to temporaily put me on her tambien baan until both my mother and I are in Thailand again. Then I would move to my mother's tambien baan. At least that's the plan.

I am in my mid-twenties and it seems that I will be stuying for another few years. So I am not too worried about military service. I speak Thai at intermediate level only (but still better than most foreigners) and I can also read and write a bit Thai. However I look absolutely white and most all people are surprised that I am in fact 50% Thai.

So in short: Is it possible to get a Thai ID if I show up with my aunt at the amphoe in Thailand, provided I have all the necessary documents?

Thank you all in advance for your help and your expertise.

Per above, being on a tabien baan like the one from your aunt should be enough to get the ID-card as you already have the passport.

A bit as an extra:

At some embassies you can now also apply for renewal of a Thai ID-card, like the Thai embassy in London. Your first card has to be made in Thailand.

Wow, thank you very much for your fast replies (as always)! I am really happy now that I can finally get my Thai ID card, because the embassy told me I had to go with my mother. (But to be fair, we didn't specifically ask.)

In my own experience to use the "village chief", and bring him, will take you a LONG way....

Glegolo

Well, I am not sure about how well my aunt or mother knows the village chief. But with all the donations from both my aunt and my mother to the village buddhist wat (a small fortune even by western standards) I think he will help if we ask very him nicely. I will keep that in mind if all things fail. laugh.png

As mentioned, you'll certainly need the head of the house (as registered on the house registration) to give you permission to be entered in on the house book. If this is your aunt, then well and good.

In my own experience to use the "village chief", and bring him, will take you a LONG way....

Glegolo

It could very well be a she. There are many village heads that are women. My wife was one for 5 years.