Eyes on Senate as clock ticks down for PM Yingluck

webfact

And the yellow farangs start to dream again.

How many times have you declared victory now?

Its written on the walls; even in braille. Its a process, and a process in progress. The biggest certainty lies not in what others are doing in opposition- but the sheer incompetence of PTP, namely the Yingluk herself and complete ineptitude. We all know she isn't capable of so much as managing an ant farm.

Whereas you are?

You speak as though you know the woman personally but I sense it's more a case of what your mates have told you,

or you read The Nation.

He's another of those clever ar*ed farangs who thinks they know everything about Thailand. Gets all his info from Suthep personally.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Bye Yingluck,

Hope we never see you or hear about you again.

Read Bangkok pundits blog on this. The so called knock out punch depends on a long line of events falling just in the right place and time, and from how I read it Suthep is the one with a ticking clock over his head.

For this pipe dream to become true, he need to get the senate to vote in under 3 weeks. The plan hinges on getting some senators out of the senate so he can get his 3/5 majority for impeaching Yingluck (the goal is to get the senate down to about 110ish members so the majority he need is about 60ish). Problem is, there is a few time limits that apply to this as well. Once the Senate election is completed, the senate is again 150 members and he need 90 votes to impeach Yingluck. Maybe PDRC will have a good enough senate election to make that happen, but in the current senate this is not possible. This is by the way the same rule that saved Sutheps ass a couple of years back.

The other pipe dream of the caretaker administration to expire is just that. The constitution have not time limit on the caretaker government. It will stay in power until a new government is formed from at least 475 elected member of the parliament.

• Like 2

In the fight against cancer, one must cut and poison and blast.

Many victories may be declared along the way but until the cancer has gone, the war continues

The senate might by some manipulation be able to remove the PM, although it is unlikely because the votes are not there. In the meantime, the elections continue and a quorum will be reached. The EC buggered up the election and because of that, it inadvertently gave the PTP a lifeline. Even if it is held that a new election must be held, in May or June, it is more than likely that the PTP will win a majority of seats again. And then what? The government will be untouchable in its first year of mandate and we will see payback. Sorry yellow shirts, the PTP has the staying power and the power base to stay fresh and in the game. There are millions of Thais who support the government ready to take to the streets to support it. So what if they don't go to Bangkok. The hinterland will be a no go area for a non PTP government. We could even see some wildcat strikes with the low wage earners not showing up for work which would shut down the service industry and public services. Try and run a hospital without the cleaners. Try and run a hotel without most of the staff. Try and run an airport without the support staff. try and get food to the markets without the transport workers. Try and keep the waterworks and electrical grid function without the primary workers. I don't think some people realize how dependant Thailand is on the Issan worker.

• Like 1

Many victories may be declared along the way but until the cancer has gone, the war continues

And often, all that activity is for naught. The patient eventually dies. There is no cure for most cancers. One goes into remission.

I think she will be happy to leave politics behind. She has aged 20 years and gained 10KG. She was doing quite well before big brother came calling.

True. If she looses her looks she will have nothing left.

She'll still be wealthy and you never lose your looks when you are as wealthy as she is. In the U.S., it's called 'green camouflage'.

Ultimately you have to beat Thaksin in the hearts and minds of the rural poor. Anything heavy handed to remove his pawns without a good reason will only fire up the red shirts into desperate acts, just like the yellows. As long as Yingluck is left in place to bumble along she will erode PTPs confidence as the rice scheme dissastifaction amplifies. Let this drag on to the point where many farmers abandon PTP, once their position is weakened beyond repair and Thaksin loses the support of the poor majority, you can negotiate a peaceful compromise on terms that snaffle out his ambitions. He will go down fighting for sure. Trying to remove YIngluck by any means other than ballot, valid or not, plays into Thaksin's hands. But if she can be 'technically' disqualified and replaced by someone more palatable, then maybe Suthep can be persuaded to go home.

Good points and I agree wiht everything except the last bit. As long as there is a whiff of Thaksin's involvement in any government, Suthep will not go home. I wouldn't mind going back to the days when a government stole a certain amount and moved aside and gave the next government a chance to steal their share. Thaksin went too far by claiming all rights and all future rights of government theft for his family and cronies. That created many of his powerful enemies. Greed was/is his downfall. Too much is not enough for some people.

• Like 2

This country is soooo in need of major reform. Top to bottom, left to right. Until that happens, nothing will change here.

The big unanswered question here is... what will Thaksin's response be to the removal of poo, the disolution of the PTP and the banning of it's members? Civil war perhaps.

Are the reds really that stupid?

Is Thaksin?

Ok, that last question was rhetorical.

Thaksin, by now, is very experienced at creating new puppet governments. His problem is, because he has thrown so many close friends and associates under bus, there are fewer and fewer people he can trust to populate his new cabinet. MPs are easily bought by giving them a place at the trough of the public treasury but, for Thaksin, the core government must be loyal to him. Do not discount him or underestimate he ability and penchant for creating mischief. To paraphrase William Congreve, "Hell hath no fury like a Thaksin scorned".

Its written on the walls; even in braille. Its a process, and a process in progress. The biggest certainty lies not in what others are doing in opposition- but the sheer incompetence of PTP, namely the Yingluk herself and complete ineptitude. We all know she isn't capable of so much as managing an ant farm.

Whereas you are?

You speak as though you know the woman personally but I sense it's more a case of what your mates have told you,

or you read The Nation.

Much further inside on what's going on than those lost in the rice paddies of Surin. But, as I said, you can be a country bumpkin or even reside in a cave most of the day, but PTP is destined to fail massively-its obvious if you READ THE ARTICLE for starters.

You know it, I know it, but you can instead try to troll about this publication or that to deflect the topic.

Actually I like to compare the Thai newspapers to one another, but mostly hear from gov't officials and people I know about what is going on. Who do you get your wealth of info from out there in the paddies and the red villages of Surin?

Very clever how you used "lostinsurin" in your argument that was ever so smart,

and as you say you get your info from your mates. (very Hi-So mates)

wow you are really something!

Now lets see how your inside information works out shall we.

Edited by lostinsurin

From any imaginable standpoint - barring the wildest of UDD fantasies - Yingluck will be out. The question is - will Pheu Thai remain to appoint another Thaksin proxy, or will Pheu Thai be completely disbanded, making such a move impossible ? The disbandment of Pheu Thai remains a strong possibility on the strength of the unconstitutionality of the Senate bill. The Constitutional Court holds the ultimate cards, as all cases - and there are a cautionary number of them - are gradually being funneled to them. If Pheu Thai is dissolved, a vacuum that leaves Thaksin out of the process will have been established, and the road forward for the country can proceed. Much talk has been devoted to the UDD's threats if such a thing were to happen, but the army's presence will unlikely yield the balance of power, though - and this is key - it will not manage to heal the divisions within the country. These divisions will not heal overnight. No one expects them to. It will be a very, very gradual process. But this will be the basis for the healing to begin. That healing will eventually take root when those who are traditionally loyal to Pheu Thai or any of its historical precedents - realize that they can still remain so. The problem was always Thaksin and Thaksin's hold on the process. He was strangling the system, and it took the country into a spiral. It had to stop. Once Pheu Thai - or any of its evolving aliases - is devoid of Thaksin's influence, the Thai political scene will begin to gradually shift more towards the citizens themselves, and gradually away from those politicians who have pulled the strings with such self-serving abandon. It is unquestionably the right step for the country. And as these cases proceed through the courts, as they should, it is happening completely in line with the constitution and the constitutional process.

You put forward a good argument,

however it still sounds like change by purging and that's what I can't agree with.

Go out and win an election by convincing the people.

What a complete and utter disaster!

Whatever.......whoever.......however......for PDRC Or PT.....many are getting bored and immune to these childish acts. BUTttttttttt.....why do I have the notion like as if the OP and some or most of the expat or foreign readers are one sided.....mentally and hypnotically ; the phrases makes the others rushing hate fluids up to thir stemcell and right thru their brains. Bravo gentlemen. Not forgetting all checkpoints in Thailand will read all you good patriotic guys chatting on line...surfing thru your IP s and sending you gentlemen free air tickets to destinations you loved to becheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Businesses' legally' set up will be legally protected and legally registered.....i mean it can happen to the farang one day..clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well, they feel important to live in a country of desperate and oppressed people, that's why they support military dictatorship, massacres of civilians, and widespread robbery and corruption (Thaksin government was by far the LEAST corrupt in history of Thailand, according to Transparency International)

With a population of desperate and starving people, they will run around with their miserable pensions feeling like the "farangs kings" who can buy anybody, from the little daughter of a desperate farmer to the countryside maiden who will clean their rooms for a miserable salary.

Fist act of the new army government will be to lower drammaticaly the minimum salary. That's what yellowish farangs are looking for: feeling rich in a desperatly poor country

So if there is a political vacuum that prevents Pheu Thai from being able to name a national leader, the PDRC can quickly pursue its plan.

Whilst it would be nice to see the end to this cronyism and selfish government, I feel that the PTP will be able to easily find a replacement. A Monkey will do as it will be instructed by Skype or email or called to Singapore for an Urgent meeting.If all they need to do is appoint a new leader... EASY.

I am not sure what is in store though and I eagerly await the outcome.

I do not think it is quite over yet as Yingluck has remained stoic and staunch in remaining despite the numbers against her. Look at how many DID NOT vote opposed to how many DID vote last time? That should say BYE BYE BABY but the fat lady has not yet sang her last words and I think Yingluck is putting on weight fast....

Well, they feel important to live in a country of desperate and oppressed people, that's why they support military dictatorship, massacres of civilians, and widespread robbery and corruption (Thaksin government was by far the LEAST corrupt in history of Thailand, according to Transparency International)

With a population of desperate and starving people, they will run around with their miserable pensions feeling like the "farangs kings" who can buy anybody, from the little daughter of a desperate farmer to the countryside maiden who will clean their rooms for a miserable salary.

Fist act of the new army government will be to lower drammaticaly the minimum salary. That's what yellowish farangs are looking for: feeling rich in a desperatly poor country

Max seems you are an expert on all things concerning the Thai government and what's best for the Thai people.! May I ask how long you have been in country in order to develpe your opinion? After thirty years in country myself I am having trouble with your assessment. Are you from eastern Europe? Maybe Venezuela?

• Like 2

hahahahaha foolish with no facts to back your trolling up..just tell me one thai who died of starvation recently..no-one is the correct answer..try living here first a bedsit in swindon is not thailand different weather for a start..and nicer people.w00t.gif

• Like 1

The Court won't rule that Yingluk violated the Constitution over the 30 day rule, because the Electoral Commission caused that.

Nobody will ban a PM over a transfer of a civil servant, silly noise claims.

The 'negligence' due to corruption claim doesn't work when you haven't got convictions for the corruption you claim.

This is more PDRC dreaming.

The idea that the court will go out on a line and create a power vacuum for this little faction to fill is pathetic.

We had one removed over a cooking show... YL will get thrown out...

• Like 2

Poor assessment. First, the concept of yellow has long been done away with- using instead the flag colors. The ex pats here, along with a lot of local population (growing numbers of farmers, central and southern Thai) are fed up with PTP's graft. Not cheering one side or meddling in politics, but rather looking forward to the end of the Thaksinomics that have affected the country. Furthermore, most rich ex pats would not reside here, would they and do they? Not by far and large. Instead, coming here so that they get a lower cost of living from the pension, instead of living paycheck to paycheck back in one's own nation, where the costs are much, much higher.

I recommend (when you arrive in Thailand) to come check out the areas around my office: thing lor, ekkamai, sukhumvit. Who are driving all those import sports cars? Oh? Locals? Hmmmmmmm.

Need to seriously reconsider the troll comments, as well as consider how you fit some of the above description, unless you're a dirt poor expat.

Who was the least corrupt?!! You are completely off track, especially to believe transparency international. They don't account for Dick Cheney, the rothschilds, goldman sachs or any of the top swindlers now do they? Just some points to consider. On the other hand, you can contribute more bitter troll posts and 'get no respect' like Rodney Dangerfield (or chalerm, in Thai terms).

And often, all that activity is for naught. The patient eventually dies. There is no cure for most cancers. One goes into remission.

Troll postings, wasting band width and not relevant at all IMHO.

• Like 2

Nice try at misdirection.

Transparency International only has records from the year 2,000. It show's a low corruption until the Army turned it over to the Thaksin led governments at which point it took off like a sky rocket. It stopped rising when the Democrats came in it showed a leveling out even a slight dip. Then when the Thaksin led government came back in it shows it going up like a rocket again. In the year 2013 it increased from 65% to 67%.

You do have a vivid imagination I will give you that.

• Like 1

" There will never be a 95% seats filled Lower House as long as the Democrats boycott the elections. "

What!? Someone else will run in those constituencies that usually go democrat if the democrats boycott , there are at least 20 other smaller parties other than the PT and D. If Charlem is anti-thaksinish-that would just increase the chances of him being a PT PM as he would be seen as someone who could work better with the opposition, even if the democrats are not there, there are other arties on the outs with the PT.

The UDD does not come out in force because of 500baht a day but we know both PAD/PDRC and UDD pay people to attend the protests, alot of these people are poor, it doesn't mean the reds have no real support, they won the last election by a landslide for fuks sake.

AND PEOPLE DEMANDING DEMOCRACY most certainly do have international support, if there is another redshirt crises with the military poised to shoot them down again, the douchbag appointed PM will certainly be under alot of int. pressure to hold another election..Why do you think Abhist agreed to a new election almost 2 years before his *appointed* term expired? He had already cleared the streets by military force, he knew another redshirt rally was in the works for the next hot season (they had rallied in 2009 as well as 2010).

I like the way you try to sanitize military backed-court imposed dictatorship by labeling it 'constitutionally appointed PM' ..

The key-point here is the 'reform before election' crowd cannot prevent a new elected government from taking power for more than a couple months, and any such 'appointed' person is in-inherently another 'care-taker' PM, and will be forced to issue a new poll even if the previous one is nullified.

No-one is talking about nullifying the current constitution. If the rice corruption charge removes Yingluck then Charlem or some other PhuaThai MP will be the new PM, until one with full powers is elected and soon.

Any attempt to install a non PT 'appointedPM' for more than a month or so will bring about a massive red shirt backlash, the article seems to suggest that the 'army has checkpoints ringing bangkok' so there fore the red-shirts are helpless to rebel-this is absolute non-sense, the UDD can bring about 100,000s to take over bangkok anytime they want, any 'appointed' douchbag of a PM will be forced to abdicate to an elected parliament as soon as they start their uprising.. they will have international support, Abhist had 2 more years left in his 'appointed' PM capacity and was forced to call early elections.

The compromise position for the PAD/PDRC should be to end their protests as soon as Yingluck is forced to step-down in favor of another PT PM. but the protesters will have to accept a PT lead government for the next few years..

There will never be a 95% seats filled Lower House as long as the Democrats boycott the elections. (Did you notice how low the turnout was in Red districts?)

Chalerm will never be PM because Thaksin knows that Chalerm would not follow Thaksin if he ever gets the PMs chair.

If a new PM is appointed, and it is constitutional, and HM the King endorses it, the Army WILL enforce any rule of law the police fail to enforce.

The only way a 'massive' red-shirt backlash will happen is if Dr. Thaksin funds it the way he did in 2010 and he will have to pay much more this time as those people aren't stupid enough to be shot at again for Baht 500 a day.

'appointed' douchbag of a PM will be forced to abdicate'

No one has even been nominated, much less appointed and yet you are name calling already. Steady on.

'they will have international support'

Now you are just dreaming. Any country I might have heard of willing to support a red mob that would violently overthrow a constitutionally appointed PM?

Please wipe your mouth; you are beginning to froth.

And it would appear that YOU are still dreaming that Yingluck is a good PM ?? Many victories win a war

A dream in the wet form of a nocturnal emission has nothing to do with inadequate leadership skills huh?

She can be his dictator/play toy on fantasy island at least; don't need a passport to live there.

lol Iove Max's postcheesy.gif

And if this is True: "a lot of local population (growing numbers of farmers, central and southern Thai) are fed up with PTP's graft. Not cheering one side or meddling in politics, but rather looking forward to the end of the Thaksinomics that have affected the country."

Then the political crises is over! We can just have elections and the democrats will win! obviously this is not true, the PT will win elections in the foreseeable future even if this crises has caused them to lose some support, and the democrats are loosing support as well with their election sabotaging antics. best case scenario is smaller parties will get a boost but the PT will still be forming the next government as long as it is elected.

Poor assessment. First, the concept of yellow has long been done away with- using instead the flag colors. The ex pats here, along with a lot of local population (growing numbers of farmers, central and southern Thai) are fed up with PTP's graft. Not cheering one side or meddling in politics, but rather looking forward to the end of the Thaksinomics that have affected the country. Furthermore, most rich ex pats would not reside here, would they and do they? Not by far and large. Instead, coming here so that they get a lower cost of living from the pension, instead of living paycheck to paycheck back in one's own nation, where the costs are much, much higher.

I recommend (when you arrive in Thailand) to come check out the areas around my office: thing lor, ekkamai, sukhumvit. Who are driving all those import sports cars? Oh? Locals? Hmmmmmmm.

Thaksin's Wiki page clearly states that the corruption had decreased when Thaksin came to power the first time. after that the issue became politicized here with the democrats and PAD trying to use the issue as an argument against democracy.. also lets not forget that historically Marxist regimes and dictatorships have used the 'corruption' issue as an excuse to deny free and fair elections, claiming that allowing democracy will lead to rampant corruption and that foreigners will influence the electorate. The PAD/PDRC had simply latched on to that old tactic to subvert democracy.

Transparency International only has records from the year 2,000. It show's a low corruption until the Army turned it over to the Thaksin led governments at which point it took off like a sky rocket. It stopped rising when the Democrats came in it showed a leveling out even a slight dip. Then when the Thaksin led government came back in it shows it going up like a rocket again. In the year 2013 it increased from 65% to 67%.

Thaksin's Wiki page clearly states that the corruption had decreased when Thaksin came to power the first time. after that the issue became politicized here with the democrats and PAD trying to use the issue as an argument against democracy.. also lets not forget that historically Marxist regimes and dictatorships have used the 'corruption' issue as an excuse to deny free and fair elections, claiming that allowing democracy will lead to rampant corruption and that foreigners will influence the electorate. The PAD/PDRC had simply latched on to that old tactic to subvert democracy.

His wiki page?!! Refer to that as ever other source shows the layers of corruption, changing law, unusual wealth, cheating, overseas untaxed assets, a dozen charges he fled. You're so desperate and lying.

Go out and get laid & clear your head.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1