Overstayed and want to go home

Why do you think visa runs are horrible? I do regular runs to Mai Sai from Chiang Mai. OK it's a long bus trip but I usually overnight there or in Chiang Rai to break the journey and enjoy the evenings. Visa runs can be fun, at least the one I do. What is it that make visa runs horrible from other locations? I'm interested because I think sometimes of relocating and would 'factor in' areas which have the horriblest runs. Which are the worst? Is it more than just a question of distance?

Sorry, but visa runs are sometimes not affordable for people living on a small budget.

If you cannot afford to do visa runs you should not be here in the first place.

why not? Everyone has the right to choose where they want to live and if they want to obey immigration or not. Immigration is just a legalized Mafia. If you want to do visa runs...go for it. That's your choice.

Dear OP,

I know some people personally who went through that. Best option here would be to buy your plane ticket first, then take a monk, preferable an abbot to the Immigration and let him explain that you had been sick, and you feel very sorry for your wrongdoing.

Please be aware that none of the people I'm talking about was being blacklisted. They're all back in Thailand. The tone makes the music.

Don't waste more time and do something now. Where are you located? Just trying to find the right monk for you. Cheers-wai2.gif

P.S. It's a maximum of 20 K, you'll pay. No arrest if you follow that.The worst that could happen would be that they make sure that you're really leaving.

Just use common sense.

So get an abbot to travel god knows how many hundreds of km's with you, to tell lies about you being sick? Seems like utter madness for something that can just be handled by yourself, with an airline ticket and 20k, and yes I know more than 1 person who has done it without the need for this charade.

Sorry for my stupidity not to write that the OP should go to the local Immigration, as traveling a long distance could be dangerous, considering the fact that coppers, such as tourist police would find his visa status in a blink of an eye.

I've met a few people and they all had the same story. Fell in love with Thailand, lost all, then couldn't go back, as they were so used to live here.He's fluent in Thai and Lao, but couldn't do anymore visa runs, as he had no more cash. Then a wife and kids...wanna hear more?

One guy, a German, had to leave, was found dead on a park bench in Frankfurt when he found out that he couldn't make it back, he'd committed suicide.

I'm just wondering why there's so much ignorance on this forum. Live and let die. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

gcbruk wrote:

Why do you think visa runs are horrible? I do regular runs to Mai Sai from Chiang Mai. OK it's a long bus trip but I usually overnight there or in Chiang Rai to break the journey and enjoy the evenings. Visa runs can be fun, at least the one I do. What is it that make visa runs horrible from other locations? I'm interested because I think sometimes of relocating and would 'factor in' areas which have the horriblest runs. Which are the worst? Is it more than just a question of distance?

I can only support this, especially if it is only every 90 days or so.

From Bangkok/Pattaya it is something like 2,000 Baht, hop on a minivan in the earliest morning (and continue to sleep on the bus), do teh border run and get a free breakfast buffet (incl in the price), run teh minivan back to home and arrive wome time in the early afternoon, if traffic permits.

OR fly up to Chiang Rai or down to Had Yai. If you know, when you're due, you can order the tickets so early and so cheap, that the price is close to that of a bus trip. In Dec I ordered a ticket for Feb BKK-Chiang Rai-BKK for below 1,700 Baht. When there, take a bus to Mae Sai or from Had Yai by van to Padang Besar, each time a ride of less than 2 hours. Burma charges 500 Baht, Malaysia nothing for the visa. Fly on day one, re-enter Thailand on day two and fly back on day three. Or stay a bit longer, if you can, so making it a mini-holiday.

Quite frankly, my attitude is to use this as a chance to get out of the usual routine...