Servicing car - a cautionary tale

Having just got back today from having 6 month service on my pickup, this somewhat 'normal' experience was soured by returning to my car after the process and discovering that money in the 'dash board' was missing albeit small change (approx 60 baht). Before I had given the keys over before servicing, ironically (in the sense that I don't usually pay much attention to the small loose change in here) for some reason I made a mental note as to how how much was there. Upon approaching one of the staff I politely managed to convey my anger at this and after a bit of conferring between 4 or 5 other staff who were there one of them agreed to 'go look'. Behold, 5 mins later I received a knock on my car window with 60 baht in notes and a 'So sorry Sir jing jing'.

Of course, reiterating the fact that it is such a small amount change, the fact remains that I feel let down to say the least that someone would have the audacity to steal money from their paying customers not least as there are were only a certain number of staff that would have had access to the inside of the car. On the flip side, in hindsight, I and I'm sure many others would point out that I shouldn't have left any valuables in the car which is a fair point and won't happen again.

It would be interesting to know if any others have had this happen to them. I have purposely not mentoned the dealership/servicing centre incase this breaches forum rules....

Cheers

We learn never leave anything in a car. I had some very nice air valve caps on my truck, went had a car wash, got home and two were missing, hmmm bike. Went back a few weeks later for a car wash. I pointed at my tyre valves, smiled and waved my finger. Hey presto, l had my valve caps back.......biggrin.png

• Like 1

If you leave your car at a mian dealer for a spice, a lot of people get access to your car......mechanics, service staff cleaners and anyone who just parked the car up. All you need is one person who is new or a bit dim and thinks this is an opportunity.

In general I'm normally very careful about leaving money or belongings anywhere....however I must confess that I'm mot so vigilant with my garages....i use a selection depending on vehicle and work....I have to say that only one is a main dealer and the others have vey small staff. I've used most of them for up to 10 years.

if i found myself going into "uncharted" territory, then I would be more careful.

In general i'd say the risks are quite small; after a service I'm much more concerned about nuts and bolts left un-tightened or parts fitted incorrectly.

• Like 2

If you leave your car at a mian dealer for a spice, a lot of people get access to your car......mechanics, service staff cleaners and anyone who just parked the car up. All you need is one person who is new or a bit dim and thinks this is an opportunity.

In general I'm normally very careful about leaving money or belongings anywhere....however I must confess that I'm mot so vigilant with my garages....i use a selection depending on vehicle and work....I have to say that only one is a main dealer and the others have vey small staff. I've used most of them for up to 10 years.

if i found myself going into "uncharted" territory, then I would be more careful.

In general i'd say the risks are quite small; after a service I'm much more concerned about nuts and bolts left un-tightened or parts fitted incorrectly.

I'd usually agree there, but after leaving the dealers today I was seeing red and this was the last thing on my mind.....Im quite paranoid now, so much so that a few months ago I had taken photos of the engine and am now examining the engine / battery etc with these photos to see if anything has 'changed'. A sad state of affairs but unfortunately thats the way it is nowadays.

Edited by richy2201
  • Like 1

Caution - someone tried to steal 60 Baht.. Seriously?

And there we have it.....only a few posts in and the sarcastic posts have started.

If you READ my post I stated and I quote ".....reiterating the fact that it is such a small amount change, the fact remains that I feel let down to say the least that someone would have the audacity to steal money from their paying customers". Perhaps I shouldn't use difficult words next time.

Just for you Mortenaa, 60 baht is only a little bit of money but I was really angry that a bad person would take money from me in my big car, how could they do this?

Seriously?

Edited by richy2201
  • Like 1

I think you have to be reasonable. As a previous poster said, lots of different folk have access to the car and there will always be that petty thief/opportunist.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It happens in all countries so not just a Thai thing.

• Like 2

I too am upset at situations like this, BUT, the mechanic who stole the money, makes less than $10 a day, works 6 or 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. He is shit ass poor, I'm sure he thought you wouldn't miss it. I think I pity him more than I am upset at him. Just a thought. When you put things in perspective it makes for a lighter attitude. I would have let it lie, as I drove away in my air conditioned truck and went home to a nice house and watched tv and drank my beer, and chuckled at the loss of 60 baht.

• Like 1

Even back in the Uk I empty the car out before it goes in for service.Cds out, tools out, any money out, sunglasses etc etc etc out.I've done this for years.Do the same here any never get a problem.

Lesson learned for sure....I didn't give a sh*t about the total money taken but the fact they blatantly stole it and smiled as I got into the car - principle thing. The main reason I started the thread was not so much to bleat on about having money stolen but to also ask if any TV members had been in similar scenarios regarding theft in vehicles.

I have heard, albeit through word of mouth, that people have had various parts of their car replaced with 'older' parts e.g. batteries etc and was interested to know if this has actually happened.

Of course as someone pointed out - this isn't just a Thailand thing but also happens the world over.

Thanks for any sensible repllies

I too am upset at situations like this, BUT, the mechanic who stole the money, makes less than $10 a day, works 6 or 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. He is shit ass poor, I'm sure he thought you wouldn't miss it. I think I pity him more than I am upset at him. Just a thought. When you put things in perspective it makes for a lighter attitude. I would have let it lie, as I drove away in my air conditioned truck and went home to a nice house and watched tv and drank my beer, and chuckled at the loss of 60 baht.

I too agree to an extent with your post Inzman, I am not a heartless person and do sympathise to a large extent with what you have said BUT stealing is stealing in my book. Where do you draw the proverbial line? 600 baht? 6000 baht? to stress (again) for the record, the value stolen i.e. 60 baht was insignificant.

I know the feeling.Took my car to the car wash a few weeks ago and left it there while I went to play golf.Put my telephone headphones which were in the central consul inside the glove box.When I came they had gone-Couldn't be;believe it as only worth about 200 bahts.Told the workers as no boss seemed to be around and they just looked at me in disbelief.Went back a few times to complain to the boss but didnt seem to be anyone in charge there.

Decided not to go back again just in case things turned nasty.Just seems crazy that someone would risk loosing their job etc for so little..

...for me it was at home....workers came to make some repairs...unbeknownst to me...they systematically switched all of my quality hand tools that I had brought from Canada...for cheap, generic crap....

...I only found out much later on when I went to use my tools....

...of course it was out of the question for my wife to confront her fellow Thai workers......

This is not about sarcasm or not. As others have pointed out, many people have access to your car in a service center. Everywhere I go to clean my car or whatever, I make sure I remove valuables. Theft happens everywhere in the world. I come from a quiet part of northern Europe. I lost several bicycles, had windows crushed in my car and so on over there. Same could happen here. I always tell my GF not to leave any valuables to be seen from outside while parking.

60 Baht.. I guess i am just amazed that someone took the time to write a whole post about it.

This is not about sarcasm or not. As others have pointed out, many people have access to your car in a service center. Everywhere I go to clean my car or whatever, I make sure I remove valuables. Theft happens everywhere in the world. I come from a quiet part of northern Europe. I lost several bicycles, had windows crushed in my car and so on over there. Same could happen here. I always tell my GF not to leave any valuables to be seen from outside while parking.

60 Baht.. I guess i am just amazed that someone took the time to write a whole post about it.

Yep, and I'm amazed that you bothered to reply.....

• Like 2

you are an idiot........you should name the dealership....thanks for helping us all

I'm an idiot? Brilliant post Josh. Replies like that just really make me want to help you. Perhaps if you had PM me and asked like a normal person would do I would of course kindly responded with said dealership.

Good luck with your next service.

Even back in the Uk I empty the car out before it goes in for service.Cds out, tools out, any money out, sunglasses etc etc etc out.I've done this for years.Do the same here any never get a problem.

Lesson learned for sure....I didn't give a sh*t about the total money taken but the fact they blatantly stole it and smiled as I got into the car - principle thing. The main reason I started the thread was not so much to bleat on about having money stolen but to also ask if any TV members had been in similar scenarios regarding theft in vehicles.

I have heard, albeit through word of mouth, that people have had various parts of their car replaced with 'older' parts e.g. batteries etc and was interested to know if this has actually happened.

Of course as someone pointed out - this isn't just a Thailand thing but also happens the world over.

Thanks for any sensible repllies

I know a few owners of Car care centers. They say it happens. Low salary and all that. My personal experience though is that they find a 5'er or a 10'er on the floor, they leave it visible in an empty pocket.

Yep, and I'm amazed that you bothered to reply.....

You got a point there, sir wink.png

555, fair play Mortenaa we shall agree to disagree on this topic. I just wanted to share my experience with everyone about not being "an idiot" as someone called me for leaving valuables regardless of actual value in your car when getting serviced etc. I've learnt my lesson and I hope at least it might prevent even 1 TV member from the same.

Thanks for your replies though, I do enjoy banter on the forums!

• Like 1

I always leave change in my car...

Partly because its useful to have at hand, but also partly because I know if it goes missing at a car-wash I know who not to trust or return to that car-wash again...

Its almost filter for finding the places who employ honest staff.

That said, it has to be difficult for a business operating on minimum wage to keep the employees honest....

They're washing / servicing a 1MB+ car, who isn't going to think the owner isn't going to miss 60 baht or even a couple of hundred.

• Like 1

We learn never leave anything in a car. I had some very nice air valve caps on my truck, went had a car wash, got home and two were missing, hmmm bike. Went back a few weeks later for a car wash. I pointed at my tyre valves, smiled and waved my finger. Hey presto, l had my valve caps back.......biggrin.png

What goes around, comes around.-w00t.gif