NBTC says there are now 93.7 million cellphone users

webfact

NBTC says there are now 93.7 million cellphone users

cellphone-users-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The number of mobile phone users this year has climbed up to 93.7 million for all frequencies, according to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

NBTC secretary-general Thakoon Tanthasith said today that of the 93.7 registered users, there are 50.8 million subscribers to 2G service and 42.9 million subscribers to 3G and 4G services.

Of the 2G service subscribers, AIS commands 23 million users followed by DTAC’s 20 million and True Move’s 7.8 million.

Of the 3G and 4G spectrum, 19 million subscribe to AWN 2.1 GHz frequency, 10.6 million subscribe to DTN 2.1 GHz and 13.3 million subscribe to True Move.

Mr Thakoon said the increase of mobile phone users mean that the NBTC must step up its regulatory measure accordingly to ensure the quality of the services provided and fair service charge.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbtc-says-now-93-7-million-cellphone-users/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-11

Yeah, but they're wrong. There are 93.7 registrations/subscriptions. Still only 65 million people here. How pedantic I am today.

Subscription 1: Work

Subscription 2: Family and friends

Subscription 3: Mia Noi

• Like 1

How can there be 93.7M cellphone users in a country with 66.7M people (including babies & children)?

I have five (5) active SIMs; I am not a Thai citizen so am not included in your population figure.

I often see many, many, many Thai people carrying two mobile phones; many have one for personal use and one for business use.

Many, many people utilize SIMs for mobile data in addition for mobile telephony.

Many people have both a phone and a (3G) tablet.

A better description might be, "there are currently 93.7 million active mobile telephony and data accounts in the country"?

("Active" meaning the SIM is activated with an account in good standing, even though it could even be in another country.)

How can there be 93.7M cellphone users in a country with 66.7M people (including babies & children)?

I have five (5) active SIMs; I am not a Thai citizen so am not included in your population figure.

I often see many, many, many Thai people carrying two mobile phones; many have one for personal use and one for business use.

Many, many people utilize SIMs for mobile data in addition for mobile telephony.

Many people have both a phone and a (3G) tablet.

A better description might be, "there are currently 93.7 million active mobile telephony and data accounts in the country"?

("Active" meaning the SIM is activated with an account in good standing, even though it could even be in another country.)

You may have more than one SIM or phone but you are still only ONE user. And I'm pretty sure there aren't 27 million non-Thai users in the country.

OK it's an English language thing, but 93.7 million users there aren't. 93.7 million active SIMs is much more believable.