claiming benefits if I take my Thai children to the UK

marty827

Aside from the dubious morality of going back to claim benefit, are you really going to look after a 1 and 2 year old on your own for a year?

I've been looking into this and as far as I can tell in order to bring your wife over you will need to be earning (yes earning) a reasonable income (I think the guideline is £20k + £2,400 for every child) and have a place to live suitable for the size of your family. So you'd be on your own with two infants who wouldn't see their mother for a year. Sounds like a crack pot plan to start with to be honest.

As I'm discovering the only practical way to do it is for me to go over and stay in my brother's spare room, get a job, get a house and get up and running then bring them over later on. Best case is about 3 months and I can envisage 6 coming up quite quickly.

I'm in a relatively fortunate position of being in an industry where meeting the earning threshold isn't too difficult and my wife is working and housed here so being alone for 3-6 months isn't a show stopper, though not seeing them for that time will be hard it's a necessary step if we are going to do this.

If you return to the UK as a single parent family with two children, you will find it much easier to get a VISA for your wife to follow.

And the housing you need will have already been provided for you, almost free of charge, by your local council or housing association.

Returning on your own and living with a relative, just makes your life unnecessarily difficult.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it should not be an entitlement, but it is, so everyone is free to claim it LEGALLY!

The fact you can does not mean you should.

I'm all right Jack!

(originally: "<deleted> you, Jack, I'm all right!!" - described the bitter dismay of sailors ("jacks") returning home after wartime in the Navy to find themselves not treated as patriots or heroes, but ignored / sneered at by a selfish, complacent, get-ahead society - phrase was subsequently toned down for acceptable general use.)

Attitude of "every man for himself, survival of the fittest, devil take the hindmost", ... but also, that all the possible advantages (however gained), success (however won) and satisfaction (whatever the cost to others) belong to me first!" Narrow-focus, narrow-gauge pseudo-Darwinian selfishness glorified as a sensible philosophy of society and life.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I'm+all+right+Jack!

The fact you can does not mean you should.

I'm all right Jack!

(originally: "<deleted> you, Jack, I'm all right!!" - described the bitter dismay of sailors ("jacks") returning home after wartime in the Navy to find themselves not treated as patriots or heroes, but ignored / sneered at by a selfish, complacent, get-ahead society - phrase was subsequently toned down for acceptable general use.)

Attitude of "every man for himself, survival of the fittest, devil take the hindmost", ... but also, that all the possible advantages (however gained), success (however won) and satisfaction (whatever the cost to others) belong to me first!" Narrow-focus, narrow-gauge pseudo-Darwinian selfishness glorified as a sensible philosophy of society and life.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I'm+all+right+Jack!

We beg to differ

My son has dual nationality. He may well go to the UK in a few years time to "chance his arm" If you have kids, maybe they will want to do the same. Would you want the government to bar them from all the perks of UK life (unemployment benefit, sickness benefit, free NHS care etc etc) because they have a Thai Mother and have lived most if not all of their lives in Thailand. They are British Citizens, which is more than half of the current UK scroungers are!

• Like 1

Aside from the dubious morality of going back to claim benefit, are you really going to look after a 1 and 2 year old on your own for a year?

I've been looking into this and as far as I can tell in order to bring your wife over you will need to be earning (yes earning) a reasonable income (I think the guideline is £20k + £2,400 for every child) and have a place to live suitable for the size of your family. So you'd be on your own with two infants who wouldn't see their mother for a year. Sounds like a crack pot plan to start with to be honest.

As I'm discovering the only practical way to do it is for me to go over and stay in my brother's spare room, get a job, get a house and get up and running then bring them over later on. Best case is about 3 months and I can envisage 6 coming up quite quickly.

I'm in a relatively fortunate position of being in an industry where meeting the earning threshold isn't too difficult and my wife is working and housed here so being alone for 3-6 months isn't a show stopper, though not seeing them for that time will be hard it's a necessary step if we are going to do this.

If you return to the UK as a single parent family with two children, you will find it much easier to get a VISA for your wife to follow.

And the housing you need will have already been provided for you, almost free of charge, by your local council or housing association.

Returning on your own and living with a relative, just makes your life unnecessarily difficult.

I wouldn't be a single parent though, I'm looking to take my wife as well and getting a visa for her will be subject to the requirements I have outlined.

The OP doesn't contribute to the UK anymore so it's only natural he wants to take his foreign bred family there to scrounge as much out of the UK system as he can for all four of them and then leave again before giving anything back. This seems to be a very common mentality these days and everybody thinks they are entitled to as many "freebies" as they can get their hands on. Yes, the UK system allows this but that doesn't make it a morally decent thing to do as an alternative to actually supporting yourself when you are able to do so, which appears to be the case of the OP.

Well done OP. What a total champ you are and you make us all proud to be British.

Indeed the OP doesn't contribute to the UK anymore, (but he likely will when he receives his state pension). The thousands of immigrants who arrive every month with their extended families have NEVER contributed, and get more freebies that any of us would get if we returned to the UK.

The welfare system needs to be massively overhauled, but there are too many do-gooders in the UK which prevents it. Perhaps if we were all to return to the UK with our hands out (asking for what we are legally entitled to) the government may act! But then again......................

If it's legal accept it.. Otherwise steer clear!

Basically two good arguments. Bit like glass half full/half empty scenario.

Maybe the OP should have just kept quite and done his own research on the internet, for the answers to his questions.

There are to many of us being stuffed by the UK with our pensions. We don't need to read about someone asking about how he can get freebies for himself and his children, for what is just a holiday. Will he be able to reclaim the airfares + get his return fares paid for?

jb1

Would you want the government to bar them from all the perks of UK life (unemployment benefit, sickness benefit, free NHS care etc etc) because they have a Thai Mother and have lived most if not all of their lives in Thailand.

The welfare system is not a perk, it is a safely net for those who find themselves in need.

OP... To get your benefits and to pull on the heart strings from other members here, you shouldn't have come out with the one year experimental holiday scenario! While this might be your intentions, play the system, BS a little and you'll get everything! While what your doing might be morally wrong, in my opinion it's no worse than people with they're offshore bank accounts and fiddly accountants! Everyone keeps going on about how corrupt Thailand is, Thailand is just plain useless at hiding things! That's the difference....

• Like 1

OP... To get your benefits and to pull on the heart strings from other members here, you shouldn't have come out with the one year experimental holiday scenario! While this might be your intentions, play the system, BS a little and you'll get everything! While what your doing might be morally wrong, in my opinion it's no worse than people with they're offshore bank accounts and fiddly accountants! Everyone keeps going on about how corrupt Thailand is, Thailand is just plain useless at hiding things! That's the difference....

Also, don't use the word "freebies" when you are applying for support.

It's a fallacy that most UK benefits are paid to non citizens or in unemployment benefits. The largest part goes to OAPS in form of pensions. smile.png

Which, as we all know are not a benefit, but a paid for annuity.

No such thing as 'unemployment benefit', It is now called 'Job seekers allowance' and is also not a benefit, but something you pay for in your previous year of employment.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

i did employ a polish truck driver, and yes on uk wages, but he could claim child benefit for his 3 kids who lived in poland with his wife!!!!

now how u work that one out, and this is true, not a troll post.

if i wanted i could claim for my daughter in belgium because i work in the uk, but also could claim in belgium.

somhow the whole system needs to be revised.

and no, i dont claim a penny, i work to support them, as a dad, its my pride.

• Like 2

must say , if true what a previous poster said that the queen collects her pension, well then no more needs to be said i guess.

I have heard this claimed but nobody has ever provided proof of the claim.

Pension service have admitted Prince Charles will be claiming his state pension.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/07/prince-charles-claim-state-pension-navy-donate-charity

Last year his income was 19MGBP.

Edited by FiftyTwo

must say , if true what a previous poster said that the queen collects her pension, well then no more needs to be said i guess.

Pension service have admitted Prince Charles will be claiming his state pension.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/07/prince-charles-claim-state-pension-navy-donate-charity

We are talking about the Queen right?

there u go. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

there u go. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

to fifty2, u are right, the state pension is there to care for pensioners, when u earn 19 million a year u dont need it.

so does any uk newspaper call him a scrounger or a nhs medical tourist?

me thinks not.

same same.

same as in thai, the haves get it all, the not have just go on day by day, no difference.

many on here diss thailand, but its the same all over the world.

It's a fallacy that most UK benefits are paid to non citizens or in unemployment benefits. The largest part goes to OAPS in form of pensions. smile.png

No such thing as 'unemployment benefit', It is now called 'Job seekers allowance' and is also not a benefit, but something you pay for in your previous year of employment.

This is a misconception. You may have paid in believing that it was like a pension fund or insurance scheme that would be there when you needed it, but it really isn't. You have no legal claim over it at all. It goes into the treasury along with general taxation and is given out by the government of the day to whatever they deem most worthy (or politically expedient, if you're a cynic like me).

• Like 1

This is a misconception. You may have paid in believing that it was like a pension fund or insurance scheme that would be there when you needed it, but it really isn't. You have no legal claim over it at all. It goes into the treasury along with general taxation and is given out by the government of the day to whatever they deem most worthy (or politically expedient, if you're a cynic like me).

well said, if elections are near ur contributions are gone on pr.great system.

Migrants who are given permission to work in the UK are claiming benefits cos they don't earn enough. Last I read it was 32,000.............coffee1.gif

i really dont get it, if smbody has paid 30 years into a heath sceme, but moves abroad for 1 year, lots of u on here seem to think its ok to not get a fair return??????

how can that be right??

the guy said he,s in his 50ths and he paid for 30 years???

so u think to say eff off because he's out uk for 1 year is ok??

unbelievable.

i really dont get it, if smbody has paid 30 years into a heath sceme, but moves abroad for 1 year, lots of u on here seem to think its ok to not get a fair return??????

how can that be right??

unbelievable.

The OP clearly states he wants some "freebies", I think that summed up his attitude right there. He isn't unemployed and in need of benefits he just wants a holiday with some "freebies" for his foreign family.

• Like 1

how can that be right??

unbelievable.

The OP clearly states he wants some "freebies", I think that summed up his attitude right there. He isn't unemployed and in need of benefits he just wants a holiday with some "freebies" for his foreign family.

Can you lot give me some freebies if l have a UK holiday ? I will take PayPal payments as well as all CCards.............intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

It is often heard that " Some members of the Royal Family are parasites" ( try saying that about a Royal family nearer to home without getting your fingers caught as the door slams shut.

But the British Royals and comments made are totally irrelevant to this thread, the sheer fact is that they live, work and represent the UK, and work damn hard I might add. And the OP ? Can he lay claims to such ?

• Like 1

Apologies double post removed

Edited by nonthaburial

I don't really believe in right or wrong.

There is what you are allowed to do and what you aren't allowed to do.

If you are allowed to claim benefits, then you do it.

It is neither right or wrong, it is just something else you are allowed to do.

I claimed many benefits in the UK for many years, no laws were broken, I was allowed to do it.

I followed the rules, and used the system to my best advantage, this is the modern way.

I never 'scrounged' anything, often the government would write to me and offer more, to which I replied, thank you.

Edited by FiftyTwo