When to change cam belt

rumbo1

Interestingly I have a slightly different story. The cam belt on my Merkur broke one day in Seattle. I could tell that's what it was because I marked the belt and turned the starter and the belt didn't move. This was in rush hour. A very kind police man on his way to work called me a tow truck and I had a new belt fitted and was on my way before lunch.

Magic car!

Interestingly I have a slightly different story. The cam belt on my Merkur broke one day in Seattle. I could tell that's what it was because I marked the belt and turned the starter and the belt didn't move. This was in rush hour. A very kind police man on his way to work called me a tow truck and I had a new belt fitted and was on my way before lunch.

Magic car!

You're in Seattle! I thought you were here! Oh, I get it....one day as in a long time ago. You nearly had me there! biggrin.png

When they break at high revs,all the valves fell onto the pistons and i was told very luckey it didn't FUBAR. Ford did accept the fault,and acted like Gentlemen.. I have a feeling Fords Management have no Idea how bad its Street Cred is here compared to Mazda and other major players. I loved Old Fords once,first cars and all that.....................

Thanks for the non relevant replies so far ! , I've managed to research it myself and the BELT is recommended to be changed at 160,000 k

Well the owners manual for my Suzuki says 100,000 kms so given the lower revs of a diesel what you found seems to be in the ball park. The belt taken off my Suzuki didn't look any different to the new one! Not a complex job so better safe than sorry. Is this more relevant?

Ah well there are a myriad of problems in LOS. You go to said service dept. with wife. Service manager tells wife a huge load of porkies about what needs to be done. Some of which you know to be wrong but because wife believes or sides with the Thai, la,la,la. So maybe the OP just needed an approximate value to call someone's bluff.

Thanks for the non relevant replies so far ! , I've managed to research it myself and the BELT is recommended to be changed at 160,000 k

Well the owners manual for my Suzuki says 100,000 kms so given the lower revs of a diesel what you found seems to be in the ball park. The belt taken off my Suzuki didn't look any different to the new one! Not a complex job so better safe than sorry. Is this more relevant?

Lol

The belt change times can vary massively between different vehicles including diesels. You're comment wouldn't of answered my question but yes it's definitely more relevant ! Hope I'm not sounding ungrateful for people's advice and thanks !

I have a Vigo 3 litre, the T belt light came on at precisely 150,000 Kms as I was told it would by my mechanic.

Yep, there is a dash light to tell you to change it. 150,000 on a Vigo. This is the one time I would recommend having it done at a Toyota main dealer so you get a genuine part (hopefully). Many belt failures are because of an after-market belt fitted.

I have a Vigo 3 litre, the T belt light came on at precisely 150,000 Kms as I was told it would by my mechanic.

Yep, there is a dash light to tell you to change it. 150,000 on a Vigo. This is the one time I would recommend having it done at a Toyota main dealer so you get a genuine part (hopefully). Many belt failures are because of an after-market belt fitted.

Thanks guys that sounds about right , when I looked it up on the web it said 100,000 miles so almost the same. Not sure if my model will have a warning light as its a very basic model but would like to think it has on some thing that important. I've got maybe another year or two yet before it needs changing but when it does I agree I will take it to a main dealer unless I do it myself

Thanks guys that sounds about right , when I looked it up on the web it said 100,000 miles so almost the same. Not sure if my model will have a warning light as its a very basic model but would like to think it has on some thing that important. I've got maybe another year or two yet before it needs changing but when it does I agree I will take it to a main dealer unless I do it myself

It is 90,000 miles or 150,000KM. A dash light will come on to remind you.

• Like 1

If engine is interference fit, make sure you replace with OEM part. As said above, jobber parts just don't cut it in this application.

If not-interference engine, you are just stuck on the side (or in the middle !!) Of the road waiting for a tow.

160.000 km is a lot of work for one of those belts. I am amazed they last that long!

You can be sure a genuine belt will go waaaaay further than 150,000km. That figure is so know one with that engine will have a failure.

160.000 km is a lot of work for one of those belts. I am amazed they last that long!

You can be sure a genuine belt will go waaaaay further than 150,000km. That figure is so know one with that engine will have a failure.

I had the belt changed about 1/2 year ago on my Vigo. As it is customs here, they like to dumb the old parts in the car, obviously as "proof" the really changed it.... However, the old belt looked brand new, no cracks at all.

There is a special sticker in the belt box, after they changed the belt they put the silver sticker on the cover. So everyone can read at what km and date the belt was changed.

Some shops recommend to change the water pump at the same time as the belt.

I paid about 10,000 THB for the timing belt kit, new water pump and 150000km service at Toyota.

Honda used timing belts up to about 10 years ago.

Timing chains and belts both work OK. Some manufacturers like belts because they are cheaper and maintenance training is simple, i.e. replace at specified time / km. Chains last longer but the timing chain and particularly the tensioner need to be inspected and maintained as they wear which is more dependent on knowledge and skill of service mechanics.

• Like 1