I've been in Bangkok for newarly two years now. I came to work for a small export company and although the company pays pretty good for Thai standards, I've had one helluva time doing anything as a person here. I recently applied for a credit card and they agreed to give me one on a condition that I give them a security deposit of 40K. How long would it take (if ever) until they release the deposit?

Yep, normal arrangement for foreigners here is that you can get a credit card and your limit will be whatever you leave as a security deposit.

Different banks I've tried have ranged from 30,000 - 200,000!

I've just got a pre-paid Mastercard from UK, superb. Only a tenner to buy it and just a fiver a month charges (300 Baht). Friends or family just top it up via Post Office at home and with internet banking here it's easy to transfer money.

Works online and has all the power of a "normal" Mastercard.

Yep, normal arrangement for foreigners here is that you can get a credit card and your limit will be whatever you leave as a security deposit.

Different banks I've tried have ranged from 30,000 - 200,000!

I've just got a pre-paid Mastercard from UK, superb. Only a tenner to buy it and just a fiver a month charges (300 Baht). Friends or family just top it up via Post Office at home and with internet banking here it's easy to transfer money.

Works online and has all the power of a "normal" Mastercard.

Hi Backpack, very interesting post, who is the provider of the Mastercard in UK and where do you get them from?