Thaksin's political predictions from Beijing

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Thaksin's political predictions from Beijing

Samadcha Hoonsara
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- While in Beijing, ousted and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra recently made a number of political predictions and comments worth considering.

Here are the highlights.

The caretaker Yingluck Shinawatra government is fighting a difficult battle but the international community sees what the government is doing as correct.

l Thaksin said the numerous legal cases with independent organisations were having a negative impact on the administration and the international community was closely watching whether there would be a repeat of the September 19, 2006 coup.

l Thaksin believes there will be no repetition of the military coup because the top brass has learnt from the negative repercussions which accompanied the 2006 coup, chiefly the political upheaval that followed in 2009-10 and today. In fact, he claimed the armed forces were secretly brokering dialogue between both sides but no deal had been struck yet due to their inability to resolve some contentious issues.

l Thaksin said the February 2 election would likely be annulled and the Democrat Party would compete in a fresh election, with the ruling Pheu Thai Party winning.

On this matter, at least, Thaksin is quite accurate, as a source close to Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva says the party will definitely take part if there's a new election (Election law stipulates that any political party not competing in two consecutive elections shall be banned).

What's more, the Democrat Party can also use the national reform momentum as a way to push who ever wins to commit themselves to some form of reform after the election.

Thaksin sees the old elite, the armed forces and independent organisations as fully supportive of the Democrat Party and believes if the Democrats take part in the election, conflict will be resolved through the ballot box.

Even though Thaksin believes the Pheu Thai Party will lose some seats as a result, they will still win enough seats in the North and the Northeast to form the next government.

l Thaksin said Yingluck rejected his choice of advisers and aides and those she chose were not experienced enough and were outmanoeuvred by her opponents.

Yingluck wishes to have her own team although she accepted the recommendations of her older brother's advisers at the beginning, but her team is undeniably less experienced than that of her elder brother's or her opponents.

l Thaksin acknowledged that there are a few people who are sincere toward him, while some others have acted out of their own interests and sabotaged him. Some of these people, he said, used his name to carry out some activities for their own gain and caused a negative impact on his name while Yingluck failed to rein in these people as she was not experienced enough.

l Thaksin said people with a good reputation were not coming out in public to help the Pheu Thai Party while those coming out did not have a good reputation.

Some of these "good" people are not speaking out because they claim that Yingluck's aides have prevented them from airing their views.

On the other hand, Thaksin said, there were people who wanted to become popular and please him but are making the wrong moves in public.

Thaksin concluded by saying that the most important duty of the caretaker administration was to keep the government afloat until a new election or until a government was formed from the February 2 election.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-14

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin is in Beijing because he knows the CCP is boxed in by Washington's opposition to either a coup d'état military mutiny or a judicial coup, because Beijing knows Thai public opinion is strongly against either, that Beijing knows either would be a short term "solution" that would make matters worse, and because Beijing favors the DP participating in the political process in genuine ways. Beijing takes this stance because the CCP knows it cannot be seen by either the Thai people or Asean governments and populations as supporting a "short term" approach, i.e. a coup of any kind.

The Global Times, which is not only a state owned and operated organ of the CCP, is moreover the most strident and militant voice that comes out of Beijing because it is strongly influenced by the CCP military. Last month however the Global Times issued the following entirely pragmatic statement in respect of Thailand:

Thailand is a core country of ASEAN. The stability of Thailand affects that of the whole of Southeast Asia. The current period is a time of economic integration of ASEAN. The political turbulence in Thailand will likely drag out this process, thus having a negative impact on the economic development of the entire region.

Thailand also plays a coordinating role in China's relations with ASEAN. China is at an important stage of upgrading the free trade zone with ASEAN. Therefore, maintaining stability in Thailand is vital to China's interests.

Most of China's neighboring countries are in a phase of political transition. How to strengthen ties with these countries when their democratic process is experiencing fluctuations is the main test for China's relations with them in the future. China, as a major regional power, should encourage Thailand's opposing sides to achieve reconciliation, promote institutional improvement and establish foundations for good governance through the will of the Thai people and political means.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/840949.shtml#.UyJJwp2S1dg

Thaksin has Washington in one back pocket and Beijing in the other.

• Like 1

Note to the readers: I am NOT a red or yellow partisan. I just a 10 years neutral observer of the political circus and failed Democracy in Thailand

I believe the Democrats - if led by Abhisit - have a unique chance to WIN (yes i say win) the coming elections. It would an absolute first time since the Thaksin era. Why do i think so? Both Red and Yellow sides are divided. Suthep and its continuous gesticulations and failed promises is far from attracting all the yellow supporters. Cleverly Abhisit stays on the backstage, probably to prepare a timely return. On the Red side, Thaksin has lost a LOT of ground, probably much more than its predictions. Let's be fair here, Thaksin on his early days did a lot for rural areas (roads, hospitals, electricity etc...). Despite all scandals, the failed and corrupted rice scheme, he still keeps a broad electorate. But, most importantly, I believe that many of the old "Thaksin" supporters would be ready to vote for Abhisit (I say Abhisit, not the Democrats) if he gives some positive signals to the farmers and rural areas. For that, Abhisit would need to take some risks by stepping aside the rut of the traditional feudal society. He has the Education and some experience. I do not mean that the whole (Feudal) system will change tomorrow, but - like never before - the electoral map is ready to move in Thailand. To capture this electorate, Abhisit must not only lend "allegiance" to the traditional Democrats allies, but also to the rural electorate who started to understand that Thaksin and Co is not anymore a solution for the Country. Will Abhisit dare shaking the "System"?

dream on... his only chance is (as you hint at) is to give up the old elite ammart but that would take a few years not by the next election and he doesn't have the balls to do it

PTP win with less seats

I don't follow the international news that much other than scan through the google news and every other day turn on Fox for somne entertainment. So far I have seen nothing about other countries paying any attention to the Thailand situation. the U N has made a few pronouncement's because Thailand went begging to them.

I remember living in Canada when the 2006 coup came about. The front page showed a picture of a tank on the street with a old lady handing up a rose to the soldier in it. That was about the extent of the foreign concern.

chiefly the political upheaval that followed in 2009-10

He neglected to mentioned that he financed and publicly urged the red shirts on.

• Like 1

Note to the readers: I am NOT a red or yellow partisan. I just a 10 years neutral observer of the political circus and failed Democracy in Thailand

I believe the Democrats - if led by Abhisit - have a unique chance to WIN (yes i say win) the coming elections. It would an absolute first time since the Thaksin era. Why do i think so? Both Red and Yellow sides are divided. Suthep and its continuous gesticulations and failed promises is far from attracting all the yellow supporters. Cleverly Abhisit stays on the backstage, probably to prepare a timely return. On the Red side, Thaksin has lost a LOT of ground, probably much more than its predictions. Let's be fair here, Thaksin on his early days did a lot for rural areas (roads, hospitals, electricity etc...). Despite all scandals, the failed and corrupted rice scheme, he still keeps a broad electorate. But, most importantly, I believe that many of the old "Thaksin" supporters would be ready to vote for Abhisit (I say Abhisit, not the Democrats) if he gives some positive signals to the farmers and rural areas. For that, Abhisit would need to take some risks by stepping aside the rut of the traditional feudal society. He has the Education and some experience. I do not mean that the whole (Feudal) system will change tomorrow, but - like never before - the electoral map is ready to move in Thailand. To capture this electorate, Abhisit must not only lend "allegiance" to the traditional Democrats allies, but also to the rural electorate who started to understand that Thaksin and Co is not anymore a solution for the Country. Will Abhisit dare shaking the "System"?

dream on... his only chance is (as you hint at) is to give up the old elite ammart but that would take a few years not by the next election and he doesn't have the balls to do it

PTP win with less seats

Clarify please

who is this mysterious

"old elite ammart"

You are as clueless as the average red shirt.t repeat what some one who is paid to spread propaganda and misinformation told you. Love these conspiracy thinkers allows for all kinds of nonsense.

• Like 1

PTP win with less seats

Clarify please

who is this mysterious

"old elite ammart"

You are as clueless as the average red shirt.t repeat what some one who is paid to spread propaganda and misinformation told you. Love these conspiracy thinkers allows for all kinds of nonsense.

if you care to know you can find out - if you truly do not know then I observe you are following Buddha's advice about 'Ignorance is Bliss'

• Like 2

I think you have hit the bullet right on the head

Their has to be an end to the Yellows and the Reds

and Abhist has the education to do it

but is he willing to stand up against coruption system well dud in in Thai society

For Thailand sake he is the only ray of sunshine on the horizon

• Like 1

Democrats will not with with Abhisit at the helm.

They need a Yingluck - a figurehead acceptable to the 'other side'. Abhisit is tainted and therefore will never lead the Dems to win an election

This is the reality in Thailand.

I agree with what you said

but the writer said what was best for Thailand

not was is best for the mobs who have taken over

Abhisit is the only person I can see at this time who can become a leader that Thailand needs

But Thais still need to learn

what can I do for my country

not what can my country do for me

• Like 1

I think you have hit the bullet right on the head

Their has to be an end to the Yellows and the Reds

and Abhist has the education to do it

but is he willing to stand up against coruption system well dud in in Thai society

For Thailand sake he is the only ray of sunshine on the horizon

I agree get rid of both

but 'cometh the hour cometh the mouse' in Abhisits case

The Thais will never forgive him for cowering at election time instead of fighting and, probably, gaining seats - he is attached to the rich elite and he can never win an election unless becoming 'clear' of these 'ammart strings'

Thailand needs a new 'man' for this hour - is there one?

Interesting post . . . the only problem is that Abhisit will NOT be able to shake the system even if he wanted to, he's already shown that he is a "yes" man on the whole and will not go against the backers/supporters wishes.

PTP win with less seats

Clarify please

who is this mysterious

"old elite ammart"

if you care to know you can find out - if you truly do not know then I observe you are following Buddha's advice about 'Ignorance is Bliss'

And if you knew who they were - you would say so.

PTP win with less seats

I do love the constant trotting out of "old elite ammart" . . . let's not forget however that there is another side to this . . . the "new elite ammart" of which Thaksin is one . . . it's exactly the same system as the "old", simply with "new" money rather than from traditional "old" wealthy families, other than that, their goals and beliefs are pretty much exactly the same . . . the desire to hold power at any cost, the belief that they are untouchable and can do anything they want, the belief that they are "better" than everyone else and therefore hold a Buddha-driven right to control and dictate to all, all whilst taking far more than they ever give back.

most of the 'new' dearly wish to be a part of the 'old' but I take your point as a fair one thumbsup.gif

PTP win with less seats

I do love the constant trotting out of "old elite ammart" . . . let's not forget however that there is another side to this . . . the "new elite ammart" of which Thaksin is one . . . it's exactly the same system as the "old", simply with "new" money rather than from traditional "old" wealthy families, other than that, their goals and beliefs are pretty much exactly the same . . . the desire to hold power at any cost, the belief that they are untouchable and can do anything they want, the belief that they are "better" than everyone else and therefore hold a Buddha-driven right to control and dictate to all, all whilst taking far more than they ever give back.

most of the 'new' dearly wish to be a part of the 'old' but I take your point as a fair one thumbsup.gif

Thank you. Personally I see the "new" elite as being far worse than the "old" ... the greed is far more excessive and the hypocrisy is astounding. The "new" constantly complain about the "old" whilst doing exactly the same things.

As I've said before, ban ALL current and previous parties, politicians and their families for life and start all over again.

Suthep was one of the most important organizers and fundraisers for the Democrat party. He still has a great deal of influence. IMO he wanted to be PM when he was still a party big wig. There are still multiple competing interest groups that form the Democrat party. I don't think Abhisit has much influence. The Democrat party is still infested by the same group who had their nose in the trough when the Democrats formed the government. They will not be willing to give up the spoils of a political victory. The end result is that Abhisit cannot make any significant changes or offer real change, no matter how much he wants to. What Thailand needs is a new political party, one that unites the honest people and one that offers a hope of real reform and one that is made up of candidates not tainted by corruption.

• Like 1

Thaksin said

I should be in prison for life, for grand larceny, nepotistic mis-spending of the state fund, and for ordering the extrajudicial mass-killings of innocent citizens.

But I'm not. Go figure.

Yes a lot of innocent people died in his war agenised drugs, but there was also a sudden drug abuse decline, wasn’t there? Put yourself in his shoes, would you sacrifice 100 innocents to save millions? or would you just let things run and destroy the Kingdom?