Is thailand comparable to england for food costs

2008bangkok

@Thailiketoo

Where did you eat lobster for 700 a kg?

Last time i saw them in Chonburi in a restaurant they were 3400 a kg.

Same in Bangkok. I said at the market. Go to a market by ocean with the boats tied up outside.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rice is from the family farm and free. Vegetables are from the year round garden across the street and almost free.

The only thing we pay for is chicken, fish and pork. Mama noodles are a starch so yes when mixed with vegetables and protein they are fine. Cow men gai is rice and chicken and soup with root vegetables in the soup. It's fine. What is a hamburger or fish and chips? For four people for one day I would spend 80 baht for a chicken and the rest is close to free. Rice porridge for breakfast. Pork soup with noodles and spinach for lunch. Roast chicken with rice and vegetables for dinner. My cost less than 200 baht for 4 people. Good balanced meals.

Rice noodles soaked for a few minutes in hot water: 5 Baht. Boned out chicken thigh: 10 Baht. Couple of hands full of fresh vegetables: free mostly. Small amount of garlic and ginger: Free mostly. Couple of slugs of oyster sauce and or Soy, fish sauce. 3-4 Baht? Half a lime and a couple of chillies: Free. Tiny amount of oil for stir frying: 2-3 Baht? 22 Baht all in and half that for a vegetable only stir fry. Healthy and balanced lunch for one.

Where can I get all that free food? I have to pay for my food.

You compare prices eith UK. And then you say it's free here!! Yes sure wink.png

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know it is hard to understand a different climate and all.

Thailand has free food growing everywhere all year round. 50% or more of Thai people are still involved in agriculture. Agriculture means they grow and sell food. They keep some of the food they sell.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Organic Jasmine rice all you can eat, Free. The family provides.

Chili powder. Free. The family provides.

Beer Free. The family provides.

Whiskey Free, the Family provides.

Vegetables for soup. Free the family provides.

Water and energy for cooking. Government subsidy, might as well be free.

Chickens, fish, pork raised on the farm. Pay for feed. The chickens eat almost anything. They like bugs.

Lobster 700 baht per kilo.

So you're a leech, is basically what you're saying?

When you marry into a family you take care of what you can and they take care of what they can. It is a symbiotic relationship. I do things for them and they do things for me.

• Like 1

Let's try it this way - my household of 7 gets by on under B1,500 per week.

That's not sweets, snacks or fizzy drinks or even fruit juice, just wet-market fruit & veg, very low on animal protein other than eggs, lots of rice of course (25 kg couple times a month) supplemented by local street market for dry goods.

The equivalent in the US - assuming a location with decent stores not too far away - is at least USD $150 a week, food stamps will cover much more than that, but few poor Americans actually cook many meals, mostly eat factory-prepared junk food.

So any poor people from the UK with experience able to contribute a ballpark comparison?

My food costs here (live alone) work out at roughly 100 Baht a day though I do get the occasional hit every so often with things like olive oil and tomato paste. I tend to eat a lot of fish which is very cheap on Samui as is duck and chicken, pork not so much. When I go to the UK and stay with my sister's family (3 people) I buy pretty much all the food and pretty much cook every meal. Cost would be in the region of 200 bucks a week.

100bt a day .... lol , that's not enough to feed the dog. I bet that's all great quality stuff bought from Lamdin market coverd in free shit from a host of 1000 flies. Jesus Christ , cheapy charlie or what ... lol

One man knows something about Thailand the other nothing. If you go to two markets and one has no flies the man who knows Thailand knows pesticides have been sprayed on all the food on one market.

Organic Jasmine rice all you can eat, Free. The family provides.

Chili powder. Free. The family provides.

Beer Free. The family provides.

Whiskey Free, the Family provides.

Vegetables for soup. Free the family provides.

Water and energy for cooking. Government subsidy, might as well be free.

Chickens, fish, pork raised on the farm. Pay for feed. The chickens eat almost anything. They like bugs.

Lobster 700 baht per kilo.

So you're a leech, is basically what you're saying?

Leeches don't eat vegetables.

• Like 1

different basic diets.

If it is imported it is dear because Thailand has one of the highest importing duties and tax's in the Asian region this is why the western type food is so expensive.

Viet Nam has the highest customs duties on food in Southeast Asia. In 2,009, its average tariff on foods was 29%.

Laos and Cambodia and Thailand within 5% of each other on food tariffs.

Edited by thailiketoo

Yes maybe i sound like a spoiled brat but hey i'm a farang and was raised with good food. Pizzacompany is great though (superdeluxe pizza 2 for the price of 1). Good hamburgers, Burger king and MOS-burger.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes maybe i sound like a spoiled brat but hey i'm a farang and was raised with good food. Pizzacompany is great though (superdeluxe pizza 2 for the price of 1). Good hamburgers, Burger king and MOS-burger.

Come on Watso, get it out boy. Yes i also eat burgers, pizza and more, tell me dude.

Sorry, but this "good food" quote tickled me.

We all have the internet. Just go to any of the UK/or any other countrys' supermarket online shopping sites and compare away.

I was raised by a mother that did most of her shopping from the markets or from a proper greengrocers, before supermarkets took off in the UK. We also bought food directly from the local farmers and generally ate food that was in season. Now, you can eat what you want, when you want but even though everything looks good, is it really? Not for me, the fruit and vegatables taste bland and a lot are grown indoors using artificial light, heating and chemical nutrients. I wouldn't trust western food producers now as far as I could throw them. Meat products are bulked out by injecting water, the animals are fed all kinds of concoctions, living conditions are atrocious all in the name of keeping prices down for the customer and maximising profits for the supermarkets. To be fair to the producers they are held to ransom by these supermarkets, so they try every trick in the book to earn a crust.

One of the most striking things I have observed since living here is I have not seen 1 child with an asthma inhaler, never hear of ADHD, autism etc (does it exist)? Could it be related to diet?

I shop maybe once a month in MAKRO for my bulk purchases as I have a freezer, but now buy very little in the way of western food. Just tend to buy their bread, fillet pork, chicken breast meat, fish, pedigree dog food (for the dogs) and other non food items. My TGF really is an excellent cook and even though she cooks Thai food, she only cooks restaurant style food which is truly delicious. No Plaa Raa in our house thank you!

We are lucky that there are 3 fresh food markets per week within 5km of our house. We get there early, buy the best freshest food possible, before the Thais start touching and sqeezing everything to death. No strange chemical smells or taste, everything washed and soaked in salty water then rinsed with fresh water before consumption. I grow my own different varieties of chillies, tomatoes, melons etc. We spend less than 2000THB/week for a family of 4 to eat very well.

• Like 1

Sorry namdocmai, been writing away. Just made me chuckle seeing good food mentioned with burgers and pizza. I like to eat them too, but I question whether it is good when bought from large food companies. Home made, then yes. When I get drunk as a skunk in Pattaya or wherever, my neanderthal brain takes over and I often wake up with scattered Mcdonalds packaging all over the hotel room doh!

@Watso63

I don't hear it man, come on and tell me what prick i am to eat burgers or pizza. That's why you posted only that sentence right?

To let you know, just ate an american breakfast, we do that every saturday...ohhh so bad.

I also never heard of astma in Thailand, but sure they have autism here, much higher then in the West. Also concentration problems i see a lot, yes it is hot here but i still have to meet a thai that is good in headcounting. Even with calculator it is hard for them.

We can't compare BKK with the rest of Thailand. Everything costs more here and also salary's are higher.

I really don't see Thai eat much vegetables and many have a bad skin. We have loads of skin-clinics around, every mall has them.

Also the Thai don't have muscles like farang have. Yes it is to hot to sport here but also being lazy is part of it and the miss of protein i guess.

Come on Watso, get it out boy. Yes i also eat burgers, pizza and more, tell me dude.

If your salary 1,000 pound compare with 10,000 Baht per month, Baht cannot buy anything if you bring 1,000 Baht to market you can buy much if you bring 100 pound bread only 95 penny so calculation 1,000 = 6 times meaning you get 60,000 Bath for your goods to buy which enough for a whole family for 1 month.

Not saying I think you are a prick. I struggled to reply to the thread because I wasn't logged in, but didn't realise.

That's a good story... I'd stick with it. Me, I always blame the spell checker...

Think I need to go back to school....but can't be arsed. Used to be able to reply or delete posts but seems I've forgot how. Oh well, practice, practice, practice (spell check not needed...practice, not practise).

Edited by watso63

Think I've figured out how to reply now. I hope you enjoyed your American breakfast.

I only just posted on Facebook this week about how a UK supermarket chain was selling 1 small watermelon for £3.50, 1 mango for £1.50 and Thai Jasmine rice for £4.95/kg (500THB approx). The Thai farmers in my village couldn't believe what I showed them. They are lucky if they get close to 20THB/kg. I buy from my TGF family at 25THB.

With all this talk about food I got in the mood for Tex Mex chili. A check of the local price for canned tomatoes revealed 72 baht for the can or 40 baht for two bags of fresh tomatoes (on sale). I bought the fresh and peeled, seeded and chopped them and am now simmering the chili in the rice cooker. The rice cooker also has a steaming tray that is great for steaming lobster or crab. The locals think me rather odd that I strain the seeds out of my chili powder but it does make a big difference. Take the local chili powder strain the seeds and add cumin, paprika, oregano and you have Mexican chili powder. And after three hours cooking with the chili powder, onions and garlic even Thai beef tastes great.

My point is, I can make very good canned diced tomatoes for less than available in the West because I can cook. I don't put beans in my chili cause I'm a real Texan,

post-187908-0-21168200-1394859627_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Rice is from the family farm and free. Vegetables are from the year round garden across the street and almost free.

The only thing we pay for is chicken, fish and pork. Mama noodles are a starch so yes when mixed with vegetables and protein they are fine. Cow men gai is rice and chicken and soup with root vegetables in the soup. It's fine. What is a hamburger or fish and chips? For four people for one day I would spend 80 baht for a chicken and the rest is close to free. Rice porridge for breakfast. Pork soup with noodles and spinach for lunch. Roast chicken with rice and vegetables for dinner. My cost less than 200 baht for 4 people. Good balanced meals.

Rice noodles soaked for a few minutes in hot water: 5 Baht. Boned out chicken thigh: 10 Baht. Couple of hands full of fresh vegetables: free mostly. Small amount of garlic and ginger: Free mostly. Couple of slugs of oyster sauce and or Soy, fish sauce. 3-4 Baht? Half a lime and a couple of chillies: Free. Tiny amount of oil for stir frying: 2-3 Baht? 22 Baht all in and half that for a vegetable only stir fry. Healthy and balanced lunch for one.

Thailand has free food growing everywhere all year round. 50% or more of Thai people are still involved in agriculture. Agriculture means they grow and sell food. They keep some of the food they sell.

Agriculture and growing food is not free. It cost money and you need land to do it

Agriculture and growing food is not free. It cost money and you need land to do it

Lars, I meant so cheap that it might as well be free. If you are trying to make a pedantic point sorry I bothered you. Do Eskimos buy ice? Do Thais buy rice?

Sorry, but this "good food" quote tickled me.

We all have the internet. Just go to any of the UK/or any other countrys' supermarket online shopping sites and compare away.

I was raised by a mother that did most of her shopping from the markets or from a proper greengrocers, before supermarkets took off in the UK. We also bought food directly from the local farmers and generally ate food that was in season. Now, you can eat what you want, when you want but even though everything looks good, is it really? Not for me, the fruit and vegatables taste bland and a lot are grown indoors using artificial light, heating and chemical nutrients. I wouldn't trust western food producers now as far as I could throw them. Meat products are bulked out by injecting water, the animals are fed all kinds of concoctions, living conditions are atrocious all in the name of keeping prices down for the customer and maximising profits for the supermarkets. To be fair to the producers they are held to ransom by these supermarkets, so they try every trick in the book to earn a crust.

One of the most striking things I have observed since living here is I have not seen 1 child with an asthma inhaler, never hear of ADHD, autism etc (does it exist)? Could it be related to diet?

I shop maybe once a month in MAKRO for my bulk purchases as I have a freezer, but now buy very little in the way of western food. Just tend to buy their bread, fillet pork, chicken breast meat, fish, pedigree dog food (for the dogs) and other non food items. My TGF really is an excellent cook and even though she cooks Thai food, she only cooks restaurant style food which is truly delicious. No Plaa Raa in our house thank you!

We are lucky that there are 3 fresh food markets per week within 5km of our house. We get there early, buy the best freshest food possible, before the Thais start touching and sqeezing everything to death. No strange chemical smells or taste, everything washed and soaked in salty water then rinsed with fresh water before consumption. I grow my own different varieties of chillies, tomatoes, melons etc. We spend less than 2000THB/week for a family of 4 to eat very well.

Pizza company is okay yes,but i always find the thais mostly put on too much tomato paste,as compared to an italian pizza,and then they give you like 10 satchets of ketchup,what's that all about,also i agree with you on the asthma and alergies,i live in the country and diet i am sure plays a part,but also the fact that it is mostly safe to let the kids run off and play,get dirty,swim in the klong or river,not wrapped in cotton wool,or scared they will be seized by some pervert like in the west,but sure diet would play a large part,as i understand allergies in kids are really a western thing.

• Like 1

Opps

Actually food is cheaper here, but the quality is generally poorer. I personally cook for myself (not just Western food) because I really don't think much of Thai food.

Must learn to type one day.

How is food quality "poorer"?

It really depends upon where you shop. Tesco's/Lotus is about the same as in the UK for those foods that are not 'traditionally Thai' or that the Thais want to buy. They even carry items like Swiss cheeses and smoked salmon which are pricier than back home for the most part. But then again this is a big chain store and they can sort of charge what the market will allow given their demographics. If you shop at local markets, the prices will go down especially with regards to 'local foods'. Places like Bid C and my local supermarket (Hong Long in Mae Sot) are somewhere in the middle of all of this. So, as always, it is where you shop that will be the factor. However, on the whole.... things here are cheaper for the most part.