Marks and Spencers coming to Central

wilcopops

When I still lived in Singapore I found (to my surprise) that they have the best coffee out of anything I tried (including fresh local roast and imported Italian brands). When you open the bag, the rich aroma just hits you. Next time I go to Singapore I'm bringing a bag or 10.

Too bad they don't carry coffee here, but even if they did, they'd probably let it sit in a 35 Celsius warehouse for 2 months, letting the coffee go rancid.

Even when their sales are on over here they are still marginally over the UK standard list prices making it far too expensive to consider. There is, however, a small ammendment to that statement. My wife (English) does not like the bras here as they ALL contain padding and she does not need this. She is happy to pay the local M&S prices just to get a bra that she is comfortable in and likes.

We go in to our local M&S when we are feeling a bit homesick and joke about bringing our passports. That said the people working there aren't old or frumpy enough to make it truly feel like M&S. When back in the UK on a visit we look forward to our M&S shopping trip as the food is still well above average in the UK. Here we sometimes buy biscuits, etc if they are on discount over here.

The big point is that the Thais seem to lap it up and they are the target market so "well done" to M&S for bringing it over here (most likely as a franchise too so all stock is probably sold by M&S UK even if it doesn't come off the shelves here).

why would this topic be of interest to anyone but those holding shares in the retailers involved?

Eh?! Why so cynical? M&S is a beloved retail institution, not only in the UK. It's only normal that people who move abroad are happy to experience things from their home country once in a while.

Not cynical, just honestly befuddled, amused/bemused, literally can't understand it, have never understood how consumerist brainwashing can penetrate so deep it becomes an emotional issue.

Just different I guess, identify with ideas, functionality more than "stuff".

Also identifying with a particular tribe, race nation sports team etc, just doesn't make sense to me.

Not cynical, just honestly befuddled, amused/bemused, literally can't understand it, have never understood how consumerist brainwashing can penetrate so deep it becomes an emotional issue.

Just different I guess, identify with ideas, functionality more than "stuff".

Also identifying with a particular tribe, race nation sports team etc, just doesn't make sense to me.

Does this extend to ignoring sign posts?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does this extend to ignoring sign posts?

No idea what that might be about.

A sign posted for "M&S" brand stuff at a Central? Most definitely.

Branding. Everything is branding. Every sign post is a brand. Every little place has emotional attachment for somebody out there. You have yours, I have mine. I might meet you at a party and get talking about a cool place I've been. You might fancy what I tell you and decide to check it out. To get there you'll use sign posts. This is branding. To think that this only applies to "commercial products" is a touch narrow.

M&S is a shop but for many it has an emotional attachment. We can identify with it for whatever reason. For me it was always underwear (though I'll agree with another poster that it has started to lose that crown!). Luckily it still has some excellent food (in England mostly). So a trip into M&S in Central just provokes some nostalgia. Why's that? Branding. Every about the look and feel (bar the lack of frumpy old women to serve me) is right and I have an emotional attachment. That is branding.

I am more than aware of this because it is part of what I do for my clients.

My question about sign posts is very relevant indeed. I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just point out that we're all subject to the influences of branding (oh, I'll have a xyz beer) but not all influenced by the same brands, style of brands, etc. The great news about that is it will always keep me in a job. Enjoy :)

My exposure to advertising-sponsored media is probably 1/1000 that of the average developed-world person, and has been so for five decades now, so I like to think most of my "sign posts" are indeed of the more personal and genuine emotional variety.

I may very well be "in love" with the latest Porsche Targa, but no matter how much money I may have I'll still buy a vehicle that is at or near the top of the consumer's union reliability ratings, lowest total cost of ownership per mile and least impact on the environment.

I actually prefer the generic cola to Pepsi or Coke, based on the taste.

I will spend a bit more when I know it pays off the long term, but that doesn't extend to my underwear.

My exposure to advertising-sponsored media is probably 1/1000 that of the average developed-world person, and has been so for five decades now, so I like to think most of my "sign posts" are indeed of the more personal and genuine emotional variety.

I may very well be "in love" with the latest Porsche Targa, but no matter how much money I may have I'll still buy a vehicle that is at or near the top of the consumer's union reliability ratings, lowest total cost of ownership per mile and least impact on the environment.

I will spend a bit more when I know it pays off the long term, but that doesn't extend to my underwear.

I would venture that the above is a statement of someone who has absolutely not the slightest idea of how much they are truly affected by advertising......and has rather unpleasant underwear.

In their own words.....

"have never understood how consumerist brainwashing can penetrate so deep it becomes an emotional issue."

Edited by wilcopops

I would venture that the above is a statement of someone who has absolutely not the slightest idea of how much they are truly affected by advertising......and has rather unpleasant underwear.

M&S pants ain't what they used to be.

Eleastic stretches.

yep with a 46inch waist I get mine at George in asda 5pr.for a fiver.

Yuck! ....I'm assuming ASDA and George are NOT in Thailand?....or have I sen George in some other store?