Anti oxidants

songhklasid

This trip having to take colesterol tablet daily,I was wondering which thai fruits, foods etc, are rich in antioxidants, I know to beware of fatty pork, meats, maybe there's some delicious healthy thai dish I am overlooking?

replies welcome

regards songhklasid.w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

According to this survey http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-3.pdf

Dried AMLA has the highest antioxidants content available in Thailand. Much higher, is dragon's blood but that's in Peru

antioxidants content mmol/100 g

Red wine 2.5

Black tea :1

green tea 1.5

Grape juice 1.2

Expresso ; 14

pomegranate juice 2.1

walnut 21

macha 100

berries 119

dried amla 261

dragon's blood from Peru 2897

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

According to this survey http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-3.pdf

Dried AMLA has the highest antioxidants content available in Thailand. Much higher, is dragon's blood but that's in Peru

Red wine 2.5

green tea 1.5

Grape juice 1.2

Expresso ; 14

pomegranate juice 2.1

walnut 21

macha 100

berries 119

dried amla 261

Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice (and potentially pomegranate) as they may inhibit the body’s ability to break down atorvastatin, making it more toxic.

Dont Take red yeast rice with statins Although red yeast rice extract has been shown to lower moderately high cholesterol and triglycerides, it contains small amounts of natural HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors and should not be used with statin medications. Keep up your CoQ10 levels 30 to 100 mg of coenzyme Q10 per day may prevent this heart-healthy nutrient from being depleted by your medication, and it may reduce the likelihood of a potential side effect.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Mangosteen is very highly rated, described as Thailand's Queen of Fruits. Thai Freeze Dry Co. in Lamphun are producing a Freeze Dried product a process which is claimed to preserve more of the nutrients than any other process. I suggest you look at www.thaifreezedry.com, I have no interest in the company other than as a satisfied customer. The product is also available at Kelly's Restaurant at Meechok Plaza, Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Mangosteen is very highly rated, described as Thailand's Queen of Fruits. Thai Freeze Dry Co. in Lamphun are producing a Freeze Dried product a process which is claimed to preserve more of the nutrients than any other process. I suggest you look at www.thaifreezedry.com, I have no interest in the company other than as a satisfied customer. The product is also available at Kelly's Restaurant at Meechok Plaza, Chiang Mai.

In regards to "Thai Freeze Dry Co." - you can't place an order on their website and when I phoned there was no answer. A dubious business model at best.

The purple sweet potato is supposed to be high in antioxidants.

Quote: Unlike white-fleshed potatoes, Purple potatoes are rich in the antioxidant, anthocyanin. This flavonoid is most often found in blue, red and purple produce such as berries and pomegranates and has been shown to be an immune system booster and aid in the prevention of certain cancers. The Purple potato's nutritional value and energy-rich properties have become factors for the potato's explosion in popularity in the late 20th century and early 21st century. Its ability to provide high quantities of vitamins, proteins, and antioxidants has become a valued measure of food security and sovereignty.

for your cholesterol, eat bananas ... easy available & cheap & healthy

About the dumbest thing I've heard. Too many or more than one a day is bad for the digestive system. One banana per day is enough for the daily intake of potassium, but that's it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In Pattaya there are 3 above all.

1) Pomegranade. around 100b a piece, but definitely worth! Found in Big c

2) Dragon fruit, found everywhere.

3) Blueberries and rasberries imported from New Zealand, can be found at Villa Market.

As someone mentioned above, most of them fruits and veggies are full of toxins, pesticides etc.
Not to mention Formalin use on fresh veggies and seafood.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/396653/food-vendors-criticised-over-formalin-use

I really prefer myself imported stuff from New Zealand.

Edited by pekkapieru

Best for your diet, is get OUT of Thailand & go to a 1st Nation country. Everything here is unregulated & filled with either pesticides (fruits & veggies) or bad bacteria (meats - thus why they cook the hell out of it or fry it dry). Thinking other is either living in denial or your REAL reason for staying here is not about your health.

However, be sure that the 1st country is not the USA for example.

They have regulations to prevent you from getting healthy food.

Meat full of growth hormones, GMO not labeled, all manner of nasty chems allowed in "organic" foods etc etc

Oz has a point though and some street food is very bad in Thailand and you do need to take notice of what you eat, how it is prepared etc.

To be true to your point, you most definitely have to include the UK. But with your analysis, there's no such thing as organic food anywhere on the planet in any civilization where the people are ruled. Time to step out of the cave & lift that overcrowding paranoia. If I could afford it, to life comfortably, I'd live in Japan.

Red wine 2.5

green tea 1.5

Grape juice 1.2

Expresso ; 14

pomegranate juice 2.1

walnut 21

macha 100

berries 119

dried amla 261

Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice (and potentially pomegranate) as they may inhibit the body’s ability to break down atorvastatin, making it more toxic.

Dont Take red yeast rice with statins Although red yeast rice extract has been shown to lower moderately high cholesterol and triglycerides, it contains small amounts of natural HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors and should not be used with statin medications. Keep up your CoQ10 levels 30 to 100 mg of coenzyme Q10 per day may prevent this heart-healthy nutrient from being depleted by your medication, and it may reduce the likelihood of a potential side effect.

Not sure how to order that at my favorite restaurants..

There seem to be so many mixed messages coming out on healthy diets- I was reading today that saturated fats are not so bad. The message that you should live on a low fat diet seems to be gradually being phased out.

I always eat butter- a pretty pure product compared to all those spreads ( which are disgusting) but a pack lasts a long time- so everything in moderation.

Would agree with Pekkapieru imported berries are good- but expensive 250 for a few blueberries is a bit much.

Tomatoes are cheap and high in anti- oxidents. .

Cholesterol is a very important constituent part of every single cell in your body, why some people have higher levels of LDL in the bloodstream is not understood.

As I say everything in moderation- cook yourself, you can control the amount of oil, sugar, MSG , street food is good- but nearly everything goes into a wok full of oil.

After all this, I would suggest if you live in a city ( especially in Bangkok) it's the air pollution that will get you in the end

Good luck with your diet.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Best for your diet, is get OUT of Thailand & go to a 1st Nation country. Everything here is unregulated & filled with either pesticides (fruits & veggies) or bad bacteria (meats - thus why they cook the hell out of it or fry it dry). Thinking other is either living in denial or your REAL reason for staying here is not about your health.

Meat full of growth hormones, GMO not labeled, all manner of nasty chems allowed in "organic" foods etc etc

Oz has a point though and some street food is very bad in Thailand and you do need to take notice of what you eat, how it is prepared etc.

While you have a point about the US I would look at how California manages healthy food quality and all that goes into making that happen.

As each state creates their own laws under the fed's guidelines some states would fit your opinion. That being said there are states that offer healthy food choices.

• Like 1

While you have a point about the US I would look at how California manages healthy food quality and all that goes into making that happen.

As each state creates their own laws under the fed's guidelines some states would fit your opinion. That being said there are states that offer healthy food choices.

Your grammar is incomplete...what are you saying? Are you complaining about the US or just California?? Or are you just going back & forth between Wiki & TV, thus giving an incomplete answer of which you really do not know. Or your just a hater.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In regards to "Thai Freeze Dry Co." - you can't place an order on their website and when I phoned there was no answer. A dubious business model at best.

My mistake Thai Freeze Dry is the manufacturing company and not involved in marketing. I should have referred you to www.siamspafacial.com or email [email protected] or tel: 081 784 9996 and you will get all the information. The company also supplies Moringa and Amalaki freeze dried, a process that is claimed to preserve more nutrients than any other process. I also take Moringa along with Mangosteen.

As far as I have heard, the evidence to support a health benefit from anti-oxidants is weak or non-existent:

Antioxidants came to public attention in the 1990s, when scientists began to understand that free radical damage was involved in the early stages of artery-clogging atherosclerosis and may contribute to cancer, vision loss, and a host of other chronic conditions. Some studies showed that people with low intakes of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables were at greater risk for developing these chronic conditions than were people who ate plenty of these fruits and vegetables. Clinical trials began testing the impact of single substances, especially beta-carotene and vitamin E, as weapons against heart disease, cancer, and the like.

Even before the results of these trials were in, the media, and the supplement and food industries began to hype the benefits of “antioxidants.” Frozen berries, green tea, and other foods labeled as being rich in antioxidants began popping up in stores. Supplement makers touted the disease-fighting properties of all sorts of antioxidants.

The trials were mixed, but most have not found the hoped-for benefits.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/antioxidants/#antioxidants benefits