thai child extension of stay

Hi,

I went to get do my 90 day reporting this morning at Phattumthani immigration and thought i would ask if they had any new forms to fill in for my Thai dependent visa which is due in a few months.

I have used this extension of stay for the past two years and produced all the correct docs etc.

To my surprise they told me that they no longer do this and that i must change to extension of stay through my wife.

I read that the citieria changed (court order/amphur to prove your the legal father) if you tried to get this visa/extension when applying overseas but it's the first time i have heard this when applying in Thailand.

They have either been told at CW or they are just making it up.

Anyone shed any light on this or have had any similar experience?

cheers,

jjp

That has been the rule at the majority of immigration offices. If married to your children's mother you have to get the extension based upon marriage.

The only difference between the two besides the documents required is that for marriage the money has to be in the bank for 2 months.

That has been the rule at the majority of immigration offices. If married to your children's mother you have to get the extension based upon marriage.

The only difference between the two besides the documents required is that for marriage the money has to be in the bank for 2 months.

Thanks for the quick reply ubonjoe.

If i was applying for a new visa I understand that but as it is an extension based on Thai child you would have thought they would just extend it as it is. They could done this 2 years ago instead of changing the goal posts when the visa is already sorted

The reason i choose this extension is if my wife and I divorce or she passes away, it is much easier to extend the visa.

17 years here and the flogic (Logic) of some rules , still baffle me.

JJP

Thanks for the quick reply ubonjoe.

If i was applying for a new visa I understand that but as it is an extension based on Thai child you would have thought they would just extend it as it is. They could done this 2 years ago instead of changing the goal posts when the visa is already sorted

The reason i choose this extension is if my wife and I divorce or she passes away, it is much easier to extend the visa.

17 years here and the flogic (Logic) of some rules , still baffle me.

JJP

Also, my extension finishes on the 17th July and i was going to reapply on the 2nd July.

1) Do i need the money in the bank for 2 months from the 2nd May, when i reapply or the 17th May which would be 2 months before the extension of stay will finish?

2) Also, is it possible for me to travel out of the country on the under 30 day consideration stamp if i get a re entry permit so it won't affect my year visa as long as i arrive back in Thailand within the 30 days to get the extension for the remaining 11 months.

Thanks agin for your help

Edited by jjp

The money has to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply. If you have a problem with the 60 days you could get a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the one year extension.

You can get a re-entry permit for the under consideration period that would be valid up to the report back date.

The money has to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply. If you have a problem with the 60 days you could get a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the one year extension.

You can get a re-entry permit for the under consideration period that would be valid up to the report back date.

Thanks again Ubon,

Slighty off topic. I spoke to them about getting the extension of stay based on a Thai wife and all the docs are the same as you mentioned but they told my wife that i need the Affirmation of marriage along (been married 9 years ) with the Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3) and updated Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2).

Am i right in thinking that the Affirmation of marriage documents ( I can't find my copy) will be with the local district office where i got married so i can get a copy from them along with the updated Kor Ror 2.

As they are saying I am applying for the first time, I have to present additional documents even though the documents are the same as when i applied for the Thai child extension of stay.

Thanks for your help

JJP

You should be able to get a copy of the affirmation of permit to marry from the Amphoe where you registered your marriage. If they can't find if or don't want to find it ask them to write a letter stating that.

You can get the Kor Ror 2 from any Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht. They will print out a copy then sign, stamp and date it.