Do we need add another pond aereator?

A local temple has a pond filled with catfish, tilapia, turtles etc....the pond is very green with algae along with small odor.

In the past couple of year, they had a slow kill off, as the pond was never aerated. Possibly overstocked but I'm sure with heat producing low oxygen is probably to blame.

I estimate the pond to be 40meters by 40meters ( I'll get accurate measurements later)

Few days ago they put in a paddle aerator. The staff are saying they needed one more so that the water can make a complete swirl.

Current aerator is located around the 20 meter mark. Judging by the surface agitation it looks to be swirling around 50 percent of the pond.

By adding another unit we imagine that it would complete the swirl. Not sure if were under aereating the pond.

My question to you...is another one needed or do you have a better solution.

The unit costed roughly 28K baht installed. Here are some pictures to get a better idea.

post-55256-0-14363200-1395165988_thumb.j

post-55256-0-10215300-1395166028_thumb.j

post-55256-0-69613800-1395166647_thumb.j

Edited by tangcoral

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed the paddle aerator is not constantly on but on a automatic timer to shut off every 2 hours and comes back on 2 hours later.

I thought it needs to be churning the water 24 hours a day. If this is the case, what good is another aerator if it too will be shut off at 2 hours intervals for 2 hours?

What are your thoughts?

I was informed that the motors will burn out too fast if they are cranking at more than 10 hrs straight. So I guess having them shut down at certain intervals are advisable.

Adding a second unit would probably give us more water aerating time.