What foreigners dont get about Thai girls.

michaeltheR

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, good on you for recognizing something that may not be obvious to a novice farang. This could be a good topic if the idiots stay away. The problem with farangs in Thailand is that they get most of their intel from other farangs. And other farangs almost always only know Thai women who are in the "farang scene." Which is to say mostly BGs or serial farang-hunters (mostly prowling on dating sites and farang hang-outs).

Normal Thai girls, e.g., the sort of Thai girls most farangs would want to meet, prefer to speak Thai and do not think that farangs walk on water. They just want a normal relationship with someone they can connect with and talk to. It's really that simple. So if you can't speak Thai, you're relegated to the "farang scene" sort of Thai girl, which sucks.

I've been in Thailand a long time and I have long figured out that most Thai girls prefer a Thai guy about their age. I accept that. But there are plenty of Thai women who, by circumstance, are looking for foreigners. For example, single mothers. Just the other day, I advised a close friend that a single mother may be the best way to go. She'll be ready to settle and won't be "hard work," as the OP says. But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Speak for yourself mate....

Oh so you're "Rico Suave" are you?

Let me guess; you, aged 60, married a 28 year old Sino-Thai ex-model with a Ph.D in biology who spoke perfect English . . .

Haha. 40 married for 12 years to a kindergarten teacher with 2 kids returned to uk after 18 years.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, good on you for recognizing something that may not be obvious to a novice farang. This could be a good topic if the idiots stay away. The problem with farangs in Thailand is that they get most of their intel from other farangs. And other farangs almost always only know Thai women who are in the "farang scene." Which is to say mostly BGs or serial farang-hunters (mostly prowling on dating sites and farang hang-outs).

Normal Thai girls, e.g., the sort of Thai girls most farangs would want to meet, prefer to speak Thai and do not think that farangs walk on water. They just want a normal relationship with someone they can connect with and talk to. It's really that simple. So if you can't speak Thai, you're relegated to the "farang scene" sort of Thai girl, which sucks.

I've been in Thailand a long time and I have long figured out that most Thai girls prefer a Thai guy about their age. I accept that. But there are plenty of Thai women who, by circumstance, are looking for foreigners. For example, single mothers. Just the other day, I advised a close friend that a single mother may be the best way to go. She'll be ready to settle and won't be "hard work," as the OP says. But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Speak for yourself mate....

Oh so you're "Rico Suave" are you?

Let me guess; you, aged 60, married a 28 year old Sino-Thai ex-model with a Ph.D in biology who spoke perfect English . . .

Haha. 40 married for 12 years to a kindergarten teacher with 2 kids returned to uk after 18 years.

• Like 1

OP,

I am sure it is a matter of simple word smithing, but did you mean perhaps that the Thai women are more "complicated" than western girls,

rather than refering to them as a "piece of work?"

I ask, not, to be offensive, but to perhaps clarify what you really mean?

I was given a fairly good description of what to expect from thai women,

family ties (shackles), financial obligations to their mothers, possible moonlighters, and of course, the various cons.

I made it wasier on myself, by keeping it simple.

Is it also, perhaps, that, they all (maybe) want a man to marry and support them so they can raise families, and are old school in that regard, ie., America of the 30's and 40's?

I opine that because that is one of my impressions of thai girls, that they need a man to carry the weight,

and we, of the west, are no longer willing to pay the freight?

we've been there done that, and the age category we are attracted too, or attracting, hasn't yet,

so, it is more of a disparity in where we (they) you, are on the life timeline?

Women are the same all over the world. They all want the same things in life. The difference in Thailand is a mixture of cultural/social things as well as the fact that there is more poverty so you have to be careful to weed out any bad ones.

Did you mean to pair poverty and any "bad one's?"

Am not sure they should be grouped, unless it is to refer to their families leeching off them?

• Like 1

OK, here's my take on this, based on my experience.

If a woman comes from a poor family and is not well educated, but DOES speak any reasonable level of English, you can be pretty sure she learned it directly from farang in a social setting, and has quite possibly been a sex worker or at least mia farang of some sort.

If a woman comes from a not-poor family and is reasonably well educated, then the odds are better she learned her English in school.

There is IMO very tiny percentages of cross-overs between the two categories of those with English proficiency, and of course always some exceptions that prove the rule.

• Like 2

OK, here's my take on this, based on my experience.

If a woman comes from a poor family and is not well educated, but DOES speak any reasonable level of English, you can be pretty sure she learned it directly from farang in a social setting, and has quite possibly been a sex worker or at least mia farang of some sort.

If a woman comes from a not-poor family and is reasonably well educated, then the odds are better she learned her English in school.

There is IMO very tiny percentages of cross-overs between the two categories of those with English proficiency, and of course always some exceptions that prove the rule.

If I can add with my limited 6 month experience,

The English that is spoken by the girls who learned it from their foreign "friends" and business "aquaintances"

is not conversational english and there is barely a sentence they can string together.

I did meet a few girls in hotels who spoke very little english, very little, clearly from poor familes,

that they too learned either on the job, or with instruction from a supervisor, that were clearly not sex workers,

at the time I encountered them, but, there is of course, no way to know that.

the managers of the hotels and condos I stayed at, that spoke conversational english, clearly learned it, in school, whether they were male or female, they needed it to be in the major hotels, if they wanted to be in management

OP, the majority of Thai women, respect and love their husbands or boyfriends.

Of course there are exceptions, amplified by the media and Forums.

In the age of equality, in the farang world, it's difficult nowadays, to have an honest relationship.

Thai women have been brought up to respect.

Farang women have been brought up to argue.

Lol......My wife must of missed that class!

• Like 1

But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Unless you (foreigner) have a lot more money than him (Thai).

Were you this deluded before you arrived in Thailand or did you start exhibiting symptoms afterwards?

This is why farang guys end up with the 3rd rate women from the bars.

They think it's all about money here

PM Yingluck hasn't married the father of her children because she doesn't want him to have a share in her money.

You really think it isn't all about money?

• Like 1

Well my Mrs is fluent in English, Spanish and Thai while I am fluent in only English, can jumble a bit of Thai together if hard pressed, and like tapas.

Works for us.

Thais look good, have good food, and give good massages but once you've met a sweet Filipina, very hard to consider any other nationality, in my opinion. They win hands down in taking care of the man.

Hey, my apple is way better then your orange!

You mustn't have enough money. Never heard of a farang having issues getting a Thai girl.

The issue is not "getting a Thai girl." Nothing difficult about that. The issue is finding a quality Thai girl who is compatible, trustworthy, and actually loves and respects said foreigner.

• Like 1

Yes, every Thai-speaking farang I know has no problem with the word, use it all the time, answer to it when called, realize it CAN be used as an insult, just as the word "Thai" or "Asian" can be, but in fact rarely is.

slope or gook Vs farang.

Thai or Asian Vs English or European.

One line is insulting, the other line is acceptable by everyone.

And I was waiting for years to hear those words of wisdom from a Johnny come lately

of 2 year in Thailand.. now I can sleep well at night know all those pearls of knowledge

has been finally revealed...

Yes, every Thai-speaking farang I know has no problem with the word, use it all the time, answer to it when called, realize it CAN be used as an insult, just as the word "Thai" or "Asian" can be, but in fact rarely is.

slope or gook Vs farang.

Wrong. Farang = Caucasian.

If you and other misinformed farangs try to change the meaning to something offensive like slope or gook, that's really your problem and not the Thais.

• Like 1

slope or gook Vs farang.

If you and other misinformed farangs try to change the meaning to something offensive like slope or gook, that's really your problem and not the Thais.

Happy again now ?

• Like 1

After living here for a couple of years I noticed that Thai girls are a hard piece of work and it is much harder to get a real relationship than in Western countries. Many foreigners like me assumed that it would be easy as Thai women are more friendly and outgoing. However if one lacks the "game" then one would be even less succesful here than in our native countries. Any thoughts?

Arrai na? It's much harder to get a real relationship than in Western countries? Most people I'd left in Europe a long time ago, are divorced now.

How good is your Thai, as most bar girl's English isn't good enough to have a decent conversation about anything.

slope or gook Vs farang.

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thaiword for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European)."[1] People of African ancestry may be called Thai: ฝรั่งดำ farang dam('black farang') to distinguish them from white people. This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States military maintained bases in Thailand.

it is generally believed that the word farang originated with the Persianword farang (فرنگ) or farangī (فرنگی), meaning "Frank, European". This in turn comes from the Old French word franc, meaning "Frank", a West Germanic tribe that became the biggest political power inWestern Europe during the early Middle Ages, and from which Francederives its name. Because the Frankish Empire ruled Western Europe for centuries, the word "Frank" became deeply associated with Latins who professed the Roman Catholic faith by Eastern Europeans andMiddle Easterners.

According to Rashid al-din Fazl Allâh, farang comes from the Arabicword afranj.[2] in Ethiopia faranji means white/European people In either case the original word was pronounced paranki (പറങ്കി) inMalayalam, parangiar in Tamil, and entered Khmer as barang andMalay as ferenggi.

Other uses[edit]

Farang is also the Thai word for the guava fruit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

Edited by Scarpolo

You didn't notice that unless you speak thai, the conversation doesn't go much beyond where to eat your next meal, did you?

Thai at Heart, I respect your personal observation, but you can never generalize.

There are many couples in Thailand that can have proper conversations and discuss anything and everything.

Thai people do learn English.

Farangs seldom bother to learn Thai.

BWAAAAHHHAAAA HAAA HAAA!

I see that you however can generalize!

slope or gook Vs farang.

Happy again now ?

Ecstatic.

i would say its not hard to find a real relationship here. what is hard is finding a real relationship in a red light district. or finding a real relationship with a model. finding hard working average looking women here is easy if you dont mind being open and honest.

agreed.

BTW models are a pain the ass to date everywhere in the world.

• Like 1