Is Singha Beer being boycotted?

Issangeorge

I was just in 7/11 and noticed both big bottles and cans of Singha Beer were the same price as Leo. Usually Leo is a few baht cheaper, I wondered if Singha was being boycotted by the redshirts because a family member supports Suthep, and thus the price was lowered.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo is just a brand of Singha.

I stopped buying Leo because it's the same price as Singha in the small bottles. I stopped buying Singha because they discontinued the big bottle and now offer a mid-sized bottle for nearly the same price, what a joke.

I usually drink Cheers, good taste and best value at 47 Baht for a big bottle. Tastes better than Leo, make a blind tasting if you won't believe. Of course, Singha tastes best but I don't want to pay 30 % more just for a bit nicer taste. Afaik Cheers is from the same brewery as Heineken, I'm not saying it tastes anything like it but at least there should be some proper supervision then.

Edited by MaikB84
  • Like 2

I don't like to be seen with Archa in public. The lady from the restaurant got a carton of Cheers for me so I can buy it in her shop. She put it on her menu and tells me now all the farangs buy it.

• Like 1

Did you also notice that the Singha bottles have decreased in size ?smile.png

ive always prefered leo anyway but you can be sure if singha gets away with 640ml to 500ml

the other will follow suit

probably the price in bars wont change so its another sneaky way to get us to pay 17% more

for a beer

• Like 2

Made this mistake earlier after golf. Ordered a large Singha at 100baht because the small one was 55. I had forgotten they had changed the size to 500ml and presuming the small is still 330ml it would have made sense ordering two small ones.

Did you also notice that the Singha bottles have decreased in size ?smile.png

And I boycott it because they reduced their bottle size so that it's at a price point neat to that of Leo.

For me ... a dumb marketing move.

And I actually like Singha.

Thought I was onto a winner recently though ... the local Ma and Pa shop still have the larger bottles ... so I bought 2 the other day ... sick.gif ... either really old or stored in the sun ... or both!

BTW ... I don't mind Cheers either.

• Like 1

I like San Miguel Beer, but only if it was bottled in the Philippines. Those that are bottled in Thailand do not taste the same. Singha beer - I never liked. Thais like it because it was a rather strong beer. Now I prefer Tiger beer or Asahi. Actually I like Asahi most.

• Like 2

Don't like the soapy aftertaste of Leo - the Cheers strong is great. Other than that I drink Chang Classic. Singh gives me a shocking headache the next day.

Edited by Aussie Paul

I recently started drinking beer again: Carlsberg. I like it and don't get a headache from it like from all other Thai beers. If i drink more then 1 glass of Thai beer i can feel the headache coming allready. In Europe i can drink as much as i like without any problem (i drink only quality beers there though).

I boycotted Singha beer a long time ago, mainly cause it tastes like dog piss...

can you tell me how long you have been drinking dog piss.

I'd like to know the breed, my Lhasa apsos piss seems lighter in colour than the mixed breed dog, it could make the world of difference in the taste test.

As for me I like Leo, must try Cheers.

• Like 2

T he lack of choice in beer in *restaurants* is a reflection of Thailand's restrictive trade practices. (And perhaps restaurant owners are either threatened or are shareholders in Singh etc.)

It is of course possible to buy half-decent German, Belgian etc beers in supermarkets at hideously expensive prices.

I agree, San Miguel and Asahi are the best of those *sometimes* available in restaurants.

In Chiang Mai, look out for Beer Republic (one of the sois off Nimman soi 9 or 11). Has a small variety of draft European beers. (Be warned, though, their food is at rip-off prices.)

Capitalist corporations have for decades been downsizing the size of their product while increasing prices for the same product.

Some may not notice the sleight of hand here, some may notice and shrug their shoulders and carry on.

But in a world where you squeeze every last baht or penny or cent out of your customer, you tend to resort to what comes naturally to you as a capitalist: squeeze every bastard in sight, workers in the factory, hours worked for free, tampering with size of package or bottle, and of course, simple price rises.

Capitalist corporations have for decades been downsizing the size of their product while increasing prices for the same product.

Some may not notice the sleight of hand here, some may notice and shrug their shoulders and carry on.

But in a world where you squeeze every last baht or penny or cent out of your customer, you tend to resort to what comes naturally to you as a capitalist: squeeze every bastard in sight, workers in the factory, hours worked for free, tampering with size of package or bottle, and of course, simple price rises.

interesting...is there some other kind of corporation besides capitalist? A charity corporation perhaps?

As for the size thing, they did this to condoms a few years back...

I boycotted Singha beer a long time ago, mainly cause it tastes like dog piss...

I have no knowledge of the taste of dog piss but as you made the comment i assume you tried both.. not that i can find a valid reason to drink dog piss. Then again ozzies are different as us mere mortals. cheesy.gif

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

Have you ever had these beers analyzed in a lab for their real ingredients? If you did you may not buy any beers manufactured here in Siam as certain elements show up which you may not desire to ingest like perhaps formaldehyde? You have choices when you drink beer and when you drink a beer, you vote for it!

Did you know about Beer Lao and that Beer Lao is based on locally grown jasmine rice in Laos and that the hops and yeast used are imported from Germany. The dark beer is one of the best beers I've ever had and more and more stores and bars are carrying it now due to pressure from me and my beer posse. This beer costs a little more but quality usually does! I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and have been drinking beer for 60 years now (we all started early in the so called "beer capital of the world). I love beer and have worked for breweries and have drunk as many types of beer as anyone I know and am comforted to know I do not have to smuggle Beer Lao over the border from Lao to Thailand anymore.

Invest in yourself and your health and try a Beer Lao dark (preferably) or light, or better yet, one of each poured into a glass together and see what you think and if you like, tell your favorite bar you have upgraded your taste and will only drink Beer Lao. Meanwhile, see how many good bars and restaurants carry it already.

I have no affiliation with Beer Lao other than being a good customer!

+1 for Beer Lao. My Thai neighbor gave me a six-pack over New Year. I liked it, but alas, I can't find it nearby. Have to ask my neighbor where he got it. I've seen Cheers at the local Lotus so I'll have to try it.

BTW, shame on you beer snobs for dissing what another man drinks. Would you also tell him his wife is ugly? Ha! I bet I know the answer to that!