Is Singha Beer being boycotted?

Issangeorge

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a bit suprising with all the beer drinking the home brew market has not come up here.

In my experience, most people's "Home Brew" convinces you that there is something to be said, after all, for the indistinguishable Singha, Leo and Chang (and Heineken for that matter).

It is all very well to talk of beer lao,or other imported beers if you live in Bangkok or pattaya ,Phuket,etc,but if you live where i do in Petchabun province,the best you can really do is,calrsberg[no bad hangover} or Heineken,maybe tiger,though i don't recall seeing it here,thats in Makro or tesco or &/11,but most places it's leo,chang or singha,which are all pretty rank,but singha is probably the best of a bad bunch.

I boycotted Singha beer a long time ago, mainly cause it tastes like dog piss...

I've never tasted dogs piss,it is tasty?cheesy.gifwai2.gifbah.gif

Australian figure of speech, but for the four people of have bothered to respond to that one posting in the same way you have, well I guess you must all be American to take something so literally.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

Back to the topic..... I'm not a beer drinker, but many people I know who do drink beer and used to drink Singha (a lot) don't drink it anymore since that bimbo got up on Suthep's stage and made a complete fool of herself (and her family) on her views of democracy. I understand some members of the family changed their name and are keeping a very low profile now. Certainly in the North where Leo was a very popular brand, nobody drinks it now and most bars don't bother to stock with either Leo or Singha anymore.

I would love to know the comparative sales figures are from pre-Suthep to post-Suthep - does anyone on here know?

i have been here over 10yrs and being australian drinking beer every afternoon for 55yrs and drinking in most countrys in world leo seems to be the best when first came here drank chang and singa after awhile devoleped sore throatwent to dr he told me to stop drinking those beers as to much chemical as produced quick not brewedchanged to whiskey blood pressure went up aus dr told me stop whiskey go back to beer so been on leo now for yrs no tablets and in good health cheers

• Like 1

Leo is still very much available in the North or id go South.!!, Chang is the most common up here,on price,and gets the locals pissed quicker,chemical tate though,Singha is a usefull replacement for Battery Acid to me. LUVLY LEO, we all meet up. Ozzies, Yanks n Germans and Scans and only do Leo.....3 Hrs to Go.burp.gif See, even this Little Guy drinks it

Leo is just a brand of Singha.

I stopped buying Leo because it's the same price as Singha in the small bottles. I stopped buying Singha because they discontinued the big bottle and now offer a mid-sized bottle for nearly the same price, what a joke.

I usually drink Cheers, good taste and best value at 47 Baht for a big bottle. Tastes better than Leo, make a blind tasting if you won't believe. Of course, Singha tastes best but I don't want to pay 30 % more just for a bit nicer taste. Afaik Cheers is from the same brewery as Heineken, I'm not saying it tastes anything like it but at least there should be some proper supervision then.

Maik,

I'm interested in the taste test again. I've been through all the beers over time living here. Just recently thought I'd try Carlsberg as its relatively new in the supermarkets. It tastes like nothing! In fact all the beers seem to have lost their flavour. Maybe its me, or are they now all being made in the same place ? Interested in an update on what's the best reasonably priced beer, and does it make a difference if they're in bottles or cans. I recently found a bar in Lat Phrao, that had Leo on draught, and cheap - it was very good, like most draught beers.

I have been wondered what is happening with beer in Thailand, a 330ml can of Singha is the same price as a 330ml can of Leo so it is nothing to do with the size.Then Chang reduced its bottle size and dropped the alcohol content. Possibly some change in the tax laws.

I have been wondered what is happening with beer in Thailand, a 330ml can of Singha is the same price as a 330ml can of Leo so it is nothing to do with the size.Then Chang reduced its bottle size and dropped the alcohol content. Possibly some change in the tax laws.

Of course, Singha tastes best but I don't want to pay 30 % more just for a bit nicer taste.

So you are an alcoholic. Getting your fix outweighs everything else, even taste.

Troll.... do you always go to 30 % more expensive restaurants and buy all the most expensive brands in the supermarket if they are better than the cheap thing? One always has to weight up cost and use.

And if Singha tasted 10 % better than Cheers, I would not prepared to pay an extra 30 % for it. Simple, really.

I boycotted Singha beer a long time ago, mainly cause it tastes like dog piss...

Australian figure of speech, but for the four people of have bothered to respond to that one posting in the same way you have, well I guess you must all be American to take something so literally.

No,I'm aussie and I'm well aware of the saying but you have to admit to leaving yourself wide open.In West Australia it's

quite often referred to as like drinking cats piss.

Edited by Ron19

No,I'm aussie and I'm well aware of the saying but you have to admit to leaving yourself wide open.In West Australia it's

quite often referred to as like drinking cats piss.

Dogs piss cats piss same same

• Like 1

Have you ever had these beers analyzed in a lab for their real ingredients? If you did you may not buy any beers manufactured here in Siam as certain elements show up which you may not desire to ingest like perhaps formaldehyde? You have choices when you drink beer and when you drink a beer, you vote for it!

Did you know about Beer Lao and that Beer Lao is based on locally grown jasmine rice in Laos and that the hops and yeast used are imported from Germany. The dark beer is one of the best beers I've ever had and more and more stores and bars are carrying it now due to pressure from me and my beer posse. This beer costs a little more but quality usually does! I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and have been drinking beer for 60 years now (we all started early in the so called "beer capital of the world). I love beer and have worked for breweries and have drunk as many types of beer as anyone I know and am comforted to know I do not have to smuggle Beer Lao over the border from Lao to Thailand anymore.

Invest in yourself and your health and try a Beer Lao dark (preferably) or light, or better yet, one of each poured into a glass together and see what you think and if you like, tell your favorite bar you have upgraded your taste and will only drink Beer Lao. Meanwhile, see how many good bars and restaurants carry it already.

I have no affiliation with Beer Lao other than being a good customer!

The "So called Beer capital of the world"....only Americans would call it that. The same as you call the winners of Superbowl..."World Champions" or a "World Series" in baseball.....What a load of rubbish. One day Americans will wake up and realise that the USA is not the World.

I will agree that Beer Lao is a good drop

Dont know of any organised boycott, indeed the family made their daughter change her name to avoid any ongoing connection to the protests.

Speaking of this said girl I never quite understood why the PDRC didnt dump Suthep in favour of this little cutie. Highly educated, native speaker and articulate in English and Thai, shes a hell of a lot easier to take to than that little Hitler still prancing about in Lumpini.

if such a scenario ever did happen I would propose a naked wrestle between her and Yingluck to decide Thailands future.

ST_20131217_SEDEMOCRAT17_3964878e.jpg

I've always liked Singha beer and it had been my local beer of choice until the 500ml bottles were introduced.

My local shop where I drink won't sell the smaller bottles, no local market. So now I'm struggling to get use to Chang Classic there. The export or draught I don't mind but the 6.5% chemical taste of the "Classic" variety can be a little hard to swallow.

My friends and I have all changed from Singha to Leo, TIger or Heineken, purely because we are not happy about the price increase/bottle size decrease. The shop at our Condo reports that they are now selling less than a quarter of the amount of Singha than before the change, and much more Leo.

Our local 7/11 now has 3 of 4 racks earmarked for Leo, with Singha down to 1 rack, rather than Singha having 2. However, I notice that Leo has also risen in price.

We have also started getting boxes of Tiger in from Teso Lotus, thus saving a wee bit of cash, whilst getting our petty revenge on the Beer Singha Company. I myself also see this as the right time to cut down on the beer, and lose a bit of weight,

Why do companies try to change a formula that has made them successful??

Try Hoegaarden whitebeer, is popular now in BKK, great beer but not cheap in Thailand.

It was a very stupid move from Singha to make smaller bottles (for same price) and i hope they will go bankrupt on that. I will never drink it. I hate company's that treat customers like s..t . They must have some genious working at the marketing department.

But Thai beer is far to expensive for what it is. Free headache is what you get. Today i bought some San miguel light because i read here it is a good beer, let's try. It's funny that the Thai want to drink the beer that the farang is drinking, they should give discount to farang as being promotors.