Doggy Vaccinations

Hey guys/gals,

We just got a couple of puppies and i am wondering about the schedule for vaccinations and which vaccinations i should get. As i understand in Thailand there are some core ones and some not so core ones.

I would like to know which ones are important even if they are not on the core lists in Thailand. What is the typical schedule here? How much did you guys pay? What boosters are required and when? (especially regarding the rabies one)

Thanks for any infosmile.png

About a 1000 baht all told (including rabies) - any vet will do them and they will do them as a job lot / provide a booklet and stickers of the serum numbers - some will need boosters in a month or two the first time around. Rabies must be 6 months old I think (4 months for a cat).

One suggestion - if you are ever going to take them back to Europe/States, then get them micro-chipped at the same time (only some clinics are allowed to do this as they need to be certified by the Wildlife Dept.) then the vaccines will be marked against the id number and will be accepted as proof of vaccination by western countries (will also need blood serum test in approved clinic for Europe - which means sending test abroad - if you ever do this, do it on your own (for about 3500 baht all told) they charge 20-30k each here and all they do is post it for you! - which can be done through EMS at about 1000 baht including box (and cold pack from Tesco etc) - test is about fifty quid in Europe ). Chipping is about 800-1000 baht per pet (and they use ISO tags that are accepted in Europe and most places except the USA where you'll need to provide a reader/scanner when importing as well (at an extra cost of upwards of $80).

I give 5 in 1 (distemper combo) and bordetella at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. I deworm them at 8 weeks and 12 weeks and give rabies shots 20weeks. I give the shots myself, the 5 in one is 145 baht and the rabies is free where I live. Syringes and needles are cheap. The deworm pills are 20 baht each. I give booster shots every year after that.

I give 5 in 1 (distemper combo) and bordetella at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. I deworm them at 8 weeks and 12 weeks and give rabies shots 20weeks. I give the shots myself, the 5 in one is 145 baht and the rabies is free where I live. Syringes and needles are cheap. The deworm pills are 20 baht each. I give booster shots every year after that.

Really great info. Booster shots for all those vaccines you mentioned? Do they need any more deworming after 12 weeks?

Thanks

Surprised there's no mention of Heartworm so far. That's probably the #1 killer of dogs in Thailand after incompetent drivers. Transmitted by mosquitoes. There are (I understand) oral medicines, but Whisky's vet recommends injections every 6 weeks as being more effective.

Surprised there's no mention of Heartworm so far. That's probably the #1 killer of dogs in Thailand after incompetent drivers. Transmitted by mosquitoes. There are (I understand) oral medicines, but Whisky's vet recommends injections every 6 weeks as being more effective.

One of the products on my image above is for heart worm. I did mention that the products need to be googled if anyone is interested.

By the way we will be giving the tick injections ourselves in the future, maybe some of the booster shots also.

I agree heartworm is a problem. I usually don't start the treatment until they are 6-8 weeks of age and I use ivermec. Can't wait to hear what this statement starts! The amount is dependant on the weight of the dog. I inject it SQ, not IV or IM so that the entire dose is eventually absorbed, not by mouth either liquid or pills. SQ injections are very easy to give and are relatively painless. The needle doesn't hurt it's usually the serum in the syrigne that causes the discomfort. The injections are given once every 2 months