Would you dare order and eat the Bombay Burner?

Jingthing

I heard about this some years ago, and thought I want to eat that!

post-37101-0-51498200-1395225190_thumb.gclick me

I have told many restaurants you can't possibly serve me food that is TOO hot and I will NEVER return a dish for being TOO hot (and I keep my promise when served some SHOCKINGLY hot dishes, sometimes basically a large plate of HOT chilies!).

Now I am thinking, perhaps older and wiser or just plain older, I don't want to eat the BOMBAY BURNER!

What are people trying to prove with that?

I think it could possibly kill you.

However, Britain's bastardization of Indian cuisine recently came back to bite me. I'd got in touch with the Cinnamon Club in central London because I wanted to try the "Bombay Burner"—their own creation and apparently the hottest curry in the world.

http://www.vice.com/en_au/read/i-ate-the-worlds-hottest-curry-and-survived-just-about

Edited by Jingthing

Excellent restaurant if you ever in London Jing. I can take hot hot (Ceylon, Vindaloo and Madras style are the really hot ones in English Indian cooking), having been born to an English father who served in the Indian Army and who cajoled my Mum in learning to cook proper-ish Indian food, but no way would I go for a pure chilli experience like that.

Indian restaurants are endemic in the UK now but when I was about 10 years old (early 60s) my Dad took us to only the second public Indian restaurant to open in the UK - it was in Edinburgh. The first, Veeraswamys off Regent Street in London, is still open and still good.

• Like 1

Excellent restaurant if you ever in London Jing. I can take hot hot (Ceylon, Vindaloo and Madras style are the really hot ones in English Indian cooking), having been born to an English father who served in the Indian Army and who cajoled my Mum in learning to cook proper-ish Indian food, but no way would I go for a pure chilli experience like that.

Indian restaurants are endemic in the UK now but when I was about 10 years old (early 60s) my Dad took us to only the second public Indian restaurant to open in the UK - it was in Edinburgh. The first, Veeraswamys off Regent Street in London, is still open and still good.

What you said, you may believe - "The second Indian Restaurant to open in the UK" early 1860's - I went to an Indian restaurant called the New Delhi on the Finchley Rd, in Swiss Cottage London in 1959, and as far as I am aware it is still there. It had already been open for a while when I went. However, there were not a lot at the time, and all sorts of stupid rumours abounded, like :"They serve Cat Meat!" etc. But it doesn't matter which ws first or fiftieth - as long as the food was good, and the New Delhi was great.

What you said, you may believe - "The second Indian Restaurant to open in the UK" early 1860's - I went to an Indian restaurant called the New Delhi on the Finchley Rd, in Swiss Cottage London in 1959, and as far as I am aware it is still there. It had already been open for a while when I went. However, there were not a lot at the time, and all sorts of stupid rumours abounded, like :"They serve Cat Meat!" etc. But it doesn't matter which ws first or fiftieth - as long as the food was good, and the New Delhi was great.

Whoops! I meant 1960's :)

"Would you dare order and eat the Bombay Burner?"

I would order it for you and watch you eat it as long as you were paying, including First Class roundtrip airfare to the UK and a 5 star hotel!

Edited by wayned

Rumours have always been around,as far as I know,they were just that...rumours!

http://www.search.ask.com/web?q=indian+restaurant+serves+fined+for+serving+cat+meat&o=APN10387&gct=hp&tpr=2&ts=1395268863782

I stand corrected (or rather my Dad does). It is possible that I was younger than 10 at the time and it might have been slightly earlier than 1959. Now I think of it we moved to Carlisle in 1957 and went on Scottish holidays every year thereafter, always finishing in Edinburgh.

Im pretty sure that Veeraswamy makes a big thing of being the first.

Edit: Now looked it up on the internet - were several in London in the late 50s and there is mention of a simple Punjabi restaurant in Glasgow in 1934. Article doesn't mention Edinburgh.

http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/book/restauranthistory.html

You live and learn. What is clear is that there were just a handful open only 50 years ago and now there are tens of thousands.

I don't tend to go for Indian in Thailand, but I do have a craving for South Indian food from time to time so I'll pitch up at Dosa King on soi 11 in Bangers or Dabar on 2nd Road opposite 'Centran' (still there?) in Patters for a bowl of some fiery vegetable curry and masala dosa from time to time. Both equally good and authentic as served in South India (except not on bamboo leaves regrettably) - Dosa King appreciably cheaper.

Edited by SantiSuk

any taffs as old as me from the sunny valleys of south wales and a lover of hot curries must have visited that hell hole in the 50s and 60's THE BOMBAY at the bottom of bute street Cardiff, talk about a rough house you had to be pissed before going in but boyo-boy the curry was out of this world.the chef had his own hot version he called it deviled I did try it ONLY ONCE.