Importing from China

jagriffin2

Hmm you best want to do your homework, as I expect you want to import a Chinese version of the Russian Ural, called the Chang Jiang.

While the motorcycle is a marvel and probably will outlast most members on this forum, it would highly likely not meet Thai environmental and exhaust emission testing. Making it a nice item for a private collection but not useful for riding around Thailand…

Hmm you best want to do your homework, as I expect you want to import a Chinese version of the Russian Ural, called the Chang Jiang.

While the motorcycle is a marvel and probably will outlast most members on this forum, it would highly likely not meet Thai environmental and exhaust emission testing. Making it a nice item for a private collection but not useful for riding around Thailand…

They have environmental and exhaust limits in Thailand ,what a joke, the cars and trucks I have seen on the roads here would not be driven on a farm in Australia, black smoke billowing out of trucks and pickups, smoke laden air in the north for 3 months of the year, even seen bits of car tyre and styrene used to start a street vender bbq fire

but as we always say T.I.T

They have environmental and exhaust limits in Thailand ,what a joke, the cars and trucks I have seen on the roads here would not be driven on a farm in Australia, black smoke billowing out of trucks and pickups, smoke laden air in the north for 3 months of the year, even seen bits of car tyre and styrene used to start a street vender bbq fire

but as we always say T.I.T

Yes, actually Thailand has one of the strongest environmental and exhaust emission limits in the world. But that is only for the last few years.

If a truck or bus was registered in say 1980 it has to comply with exhaust emission regulations of the time the vehicle was registered (1980). So yes, we can see age-old trucks models on the road in Bangkok and Thailand in general which produce smoke like they run on burning tires. But until this trucks are not constructional safe and not road worthy the Thai police or even the Department of Land Transport cannot do that much.

This is also why the Thai government is pushing for a mandatorial yearly safety and road worthy inspection / check for vehicles older than 5-years.

Pure theoretical, you can get a ticket for your brand new motorcycle with a aftermarket exhaust system which doesn't comply with regulations, while your friend who has a official 1980 registered Harley-Davidson has no muffler to speak of...

Edited by Richard-BKK