Warning: Don't be too nice to Immigration Officials. Extention Halved.

Sorry.

Visa: Non-Immigrant O Multi-Entry based on marriage.

Within the final 90 day Permission of Stay I went to get a 12 month Extention of Stay (to be followed by a multiple re-entry permit to come and go without hassle during the 12 months).

All docs correct. All accepted and extention granted. As I was leaving with it all done the senior pulled me over.

No biggie. smile.png

I don't understand all the visas and extensions but something in your history made the officer suspect your entitlement and your exuberance at getting the extension further aroused her suspicions, so she decided to review the position after six months. You didn't give her the opportunity to do that which if anything has made her doubt that she should have given you even six months!

What is the advantage of an annual extension based on marriage with a multiple re-entry stamp compared with the visa(s) you have presumably reverted to using now?

I am intrigued by your attitude; the officer is charged with making sure that everything is above board and would not have acted out of caprice and if you thought that she was, why didn't you protest?

As Mario has already pointed out, marriage extensions are not granted locally.

Your local office, rubber stamps under instructions from head office.

They do not grant or refuse locally and have no power to alter the date.

When you apply, you are given an 'under consideration' stamp.

You return 1 or 2 months later after head office have finished considering.

At risk f being pedantic by Mario says nothing of this sort at all! I had no idea that all applications of this sort are sent to Bangkok I get my extensions on the spot from head office.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the advantage of an annual extension based on marriage with a multiple re-entry stamp compared with the visa(s) you have presumably reverted to using now?

At the time I was here on the final 90 day PoS on the Non-O ME based on marriage.

Getting an EoTS and Multi-Re-entry Permit would mean not getting another ME Visa the next time I left.

That's the only difference really.

I am intrigued by your attitude; the officer is charged with making sure that everything is above board and would not have acted out of caprice and if you thought that she was, why didn't you protest?

Why would I protest? No biggie. Smile, wai, on my way. :)

At the time I was here on the final 90 day PoS on the Non-O ME based on marriage.

Getting an EoTS and Multi-Re-entry Permit would mean not getting another ME Visa the next time I left.

Why would I protest? No biggie. Smile, wai, on my way. :)

Extension based on marriage, one visit to immigration per year, for two tasks: extend and re-entry stamps, present Non-O ME based on marriage. ( whatever that means) one visit to immigration per year for one task only. No brainer, I can't see why you bothered to go the extension based on marriage route at all!

I'm not too sure of what point you're trying to make tbh. smile.png

The difference would have been not needing to get a new ME Visa every 12-15 months when outside of Thailand. I come and go a lot, it's not a big deal, annual visit to Immigration, annual visit to a Thai Embassy when out of the country, same same as they say. smile.png

Edited by Dave 74

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would I protest? No biggie. Smile, wai, on my way. smile.png

Extension based on marriage, one visit to immigration per year, for two tasks: extend and re-entry stamps, present Non-O ME based on marriage. ( whatever that means) one visit to immigration per year for one task only. No brainer, I can't see why you bothered to go the extension based on marriage route at all!

A NoN "o" multiple entry visa cannot be obtained within Thailand. The visa only permits 90 day entries and to make maximum use of the visa regular border runs have to be undertaken.

I'm not too sure of what point you're trying to make tbh. smile.png

The difference would have been not needing to get a new ME Visa every 12-15 months when outside of Thailand. I come and go a lot, it's not a big deal, annual visit to Immigration, annual visit to a Thai Embassy when out of the country, same same as they say. smile.png

The point I am trying to make is that it probably wasn't your happiness which motivated the immigration officer so I am trying to imagine another reason for her actions. As you say it is not a big issue for you since you have an alternative means of complying with the rules.

i was at the Phitsanoluk office on wednsday,only 3 other people there,we were dealt with almost immediatley,and the immigration officer was very pleasant,they even did some photocpying for us,application was processed in under an hour,have to go back in one month to get it,this was a marriage extension,we were quite and polite,i always make sure i give a good wai to the officials,hearing what goes on at some of the other offices,i must say i am very happy that this is the one we attend.

Not all extensions of stay based on marriage are approved by Bangkok. Only those that fall within the central region are done at Bangkok.

Northeast is Korat. North is Chiang Mai. South is Songkhla.

All my marriage extensions (Chiang Mai) are approved in Bangkok.

Not all extensions of stay based on marriage are approved by Bangkok. Only those that fall within the central region are done at Bangkok.

All my marriage extensions (Chiang Mai) are approved in Bangkok.

What makes you think that?

You should look at the small stamp in Thai under your extension stamp that has info on the approval by the regional office.

Not sure about that, Chiang Mai told me it had to go to Bangkok the 1 St time I did it. That and renewals all have the 1 month 11 months format.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure about that, Chiang Mai told me it had to go to Bangkok the 1 St time I did it. That and renewals all have the 1 month 11 months format.

On the first occasion where you seeking a "change of visa" status as a first step toward obtaining an extension ?

Me too.

(prior to that I had a 1 year non-imm O-A VISA)

On the first occasion where you seeking a "change of visa" status as a first step toward obtaining an extension ?

I was changing from retirement to married the 1st time. Edited by alant

I was changing from retirement to married the 1st time.

That is interesting as what was being asked for was a simple change in the reason for an extension.

Was the retirement based on an extension or an O/A or Mutiple Entry Non "O" visa ?

Hopefully one of the Mods may be able to shed light on this conundrum !

Edit

"Mods" not "Moods" !

Edited by thepool

Same thing happened to me at Phuket immigration last year. The guy working the back desk put a 12 month extension stamp in my passport. He then handed it over to the female boss for sign off. She crossed out the 12 months on the stamp and then wrote 6 months in by hand.

On what basis were you getting the extension. If for attending a language school they did the correct thing because Phuket only does those extensions for 6 months.

wrong, they do give 1 year now since 2 weeks back..

Dave 74,

Over your stamp should be stamped " ภรรยาไทย ", means: Paraja Thai = Thai wife.

In the real extension of stay stamp for married to a Thai national you are not asked to

" Leave the kingdom within the date specified ".

Edited by Chonburiram

you were such a pleasure to have in the office, they wanted you back sooner..........

That's probably what it was.

It's not like they get many happy visitors,

so it's best to keep the happy ones coming back.

Helps boost the morale & all.

Cheers

Edited by ajarnmarc

If I may suggest it seems those doing extensions or immigration business would be better served if they went to Hua Hin to get it done it is small office The longest I waited was The time I went to use bathroom there and that was my fault had some bad Phad Thai. So service quick helpful lady speaks english too and is very helpful pleasant person.

Chiang Mai is immigration division 5 headquarters and that would be the approval location.

It could be that the immigration officer though it was done in Bangkok. Or possibly to keep you from not understanding why you had to wait 30 days.

The 30 days is not an extension. You still get a full one year extension stamp from the date your permit to stay ended after the 30 day under consideration stamp.

Chiang Mai is immigration division 5 headquarters and that would be the approval location.

It could be that the immigration officer though it was done in Bangkok. Or possibly to keep you from not understanding why you had to wait 30 days.

The 30 days is not an extension. You still get a full one year extension stamp from the date your permit to stay ended after the 30 day under consideration stamp.

Can confirm that I was always told that the decision came from BKK when I used to get my extension based on marriage at CM Immigration. One year I had to go back eleven times, once each month, always to be given 30 more days and told they were waiting for approval from BKK. Puts today's problems into some perspective.