Warning: Don't be too nice to Immigration Officials. Extention Halved.

About 18 months ago I went to extend my Non-O based on marriage for 12 months.

All in order, all done, stamped for 12 months. Being a happy, polite and nice fellow I was being happy, polite and nice.

Upon saying farewell to the officer her senior walked past, saw me being happy, polite and nice and told me to go their desk and sit down.

I went on over, they took my passport, scribbled out the 12 month extension, stamped in a 6 month extension and said that they are only giving me a 6 month extension. I said sure, no problem. Gave a nice friendly wai. They paused giving it back and said 'In 6 months, you come see me'.

image.jpg

All quite funny really.

Just a heads up. smile.png

Edited by Dave 74

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what immigration office was this?

Can you scan and post the cancelled 12-month extension and the six-month extension you received?

"About 18 months ago...". That would have been September 2012 when you got an extension for only six months instead of the usual 12 months. How did it go with your subsequent application for extension of stay in March 2013?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can you scan and post the cancelled 12-month extension and the six-month extension you received?

"About 18 months ago...". That would have been September 2012 when you got an extension for only six months instead of the usual 12 months. How did it go with your subsequent application for extension of stay in March 2013?

The OP has edited the post but I believe CW was mentioned prior to the edit.

I edited out the name of the office.

No biggie.

It was Dec 2012.

I never went back for another extention. Instead I use a multi-entry and my visits are less than 90 days each.

I edited out the name of the office.

No biggie.

It was Dec 2012.

I never went back for another extention. Instead I use a multi-entry and my visits are less than 90 days each.

I am confused. Are you the OP?

Edit : sorry my bad. Pls ignore

Edited by saakura

OP, I'm curious why you waited 14 months to post this info.

I think if this was happening consistently there would have been a lot of talk about it here.

No drama about it.

I just read this other thread tonight:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/712349-40000-baht-income-denied-at-major-hollywood/

Remembered what happened, posted about it in that thread, and thought I might as well add the photos and the story in a thread of it's own. :)

You can't extend a visa. Were you in the country on a non-Imm O visa or already on a full year extension of stay based marriage for which you provided documentation and proof of money in the bank or monthly income as certified by your embassy?

Did you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or did you ask for an extension to visit your wife?

It seems likely you missed half of what was going on in your apparent state of nirvana.

• Like 1

Sorry.

Visa: Non-Immigrant O Multi-Entry based on marriage.

Within the final 90 day Permission of Stay I went to get a 12 month Extention of Stay (to be followed by a multiple re-entry permit to come and go without hassle during the 12 months).

All docs correct. All accepted and extention granted. As I was leaving with it all done the senior pulled me over.

No biggie. smile.png

Edited by Dave 74

Sorry.

Within the final 90 day Permission of Stay I went to get a 12 month Extention of Stay (to be followed by a multiple re-entry permit to come and go without hassle during the 12 months).

All docs correct. All accepted and extention granted. As I was leaving with it all done the senior pulled me over.

No biggie. smile.png

There is no on the spot 12 month extension based on marriage, nor a 6 month.

Another heads up for interested people.

A couple of years ago the retirement extension at Chiang Mai was routine, they gave me a number, called me, did the extension and the passport and re-entry permit were done next and go.

This year we also arrived at 9 am and got a number. We were called at 3 pm, only to find it was a number for the re-entry only. We should have been given 2 numbers...... Come back tomorrow.

I asked the young man who gives out the tickets what was wrong, he said he had run out of RE numbers for that day so he gave me the re-entry number instead!

If he had mentioned that at the time we would not have wasted the whole day to fail to get anything!

The online appointment system is always full for the 100 available days so it does not seem possible to make an appointment.

OK, Next day we arrived at 6 am, the place was almost full already.

We got entry card 29 and although many of the people before me were not making the retirement extension, our extension number was 23 and again it was close to 3 pm before I was seen for the extension.

The re-entry number was 17 and called quickly and they told us to come straight back once the extension was ready.

There was only one lady working on RE that day so it took all day to get everything finished.

No complaints, just heads up, get there early and make sure you have the two numbers LOL

CM immigration also make the residence certificate for driving license, previously it was quite quick.

Last month they couldn't't do it.

With the troubles and reorganisation it now that takes two weeks.

Edit

Wear long trousers and long sleeved shirts - many mozzy's at that time of day and they don't open the doors until after 8 am!

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1

You can't extend a visa. Were you in the country on a non-Imm O visa or already on a full year extension of stay based marriage for which you provided documentation and proof of money in the bank or monthly income as certified by your embassy?

Did you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or did you ask for an extension to visit your wife?

It seems likely you missed half of what was going on in your apparent state of nirvana.

There are some very very helpful people here at Thaivisa, and I know we are all very grateful for it.

Yet, Thai immigration officials seem to do some very peculiar things from time to time.

There are some members here giggle.gif who seem to think Thai immigration officials are beyond reproach, incapable of making a mistake or abusing their power, or being ill-informed. I have no idea why they feel this way, considering all things, here in Thailand, where you can't even sell pork on a stick without some form of corruption involved.

Edited by isawasnake

Dave 74,

Your stamp does not look like an extension of stay stamp for married to a Thai national.

I agree it doesn't ... the stamp states "XXX Immigration Office. Application for extension of stay is permitted up to ... Date Stamp" + all the relevant signatures.

Same thing happened to me at Phuket immigration last year. The guy working the back desk put a 12 month extension stamp in my passport. He then handed it over to the female boss for sign off. She crossed out the 12 months on the stamp and then wrote 6 months in by hand.

On what basis were you getting the extension. If for attending a language school they did the correct thing because Phuket only does those extensions for 6 months.

Sorry.

No biggie. smile.png

I don't understand all the visas and extensions but something in your history made the officer suspect your entitlement and your exuberance at getting the extension further aroused her suspicions, so she decided to review the position after six months. You didn't give her the opportunity to do that which if anything has made her doubt that she should have given you even six months!

What is the advantage of an annual extension based on marriage with a multiple re-entry stamp compared with the visa(s) you have presumably reverted to using now?

I am intrigued by your attitude; the officer is charged with making sure that everything is above board and would not have acted out of caprice and if you thought that she was, why didn't you protest?

Sorry.

No biggie. smile.png

I don't understand all the visas and extensions but something in your history made the officer suspect your entitlement and your exuberance at getting the extension further aroused her suspicions, so she decided to review the position after six months. You didn't give her the opportunity to do that which if anything has made her doubt that she should have given you even six months!

What is the advantage of an annual extension based on marriage with a multiple re-entry stamp compared with the visa(s) you have presumably reverted to using now?

I am intrigued by your attitude; the officer is charged with making sure that everything is above board and would not have acted out of caprice and if you thought that she was, why didn't you protest?

As Mario has already pointed out, marriage extensions are not granted locally.

Your local office, rubber stamps under instructions from head office.

They do not grant or refuse locally and have no power to alter the date.

When you apply, you are given an 'under consideration' stamp.

You return 1 or 2 months later after head office have finished considering.

Edited by FiftyTwo