Extending Drivers License (1 year to 5 year) In Ubon Ratchathani

ChrisB87

Hey,

I have a one year drivers license which i got in Bangkok. I have to make the extension to 5 years and would prefer to make it in Ubon Ratchathani.

My questions are:

Is it possible to extend in Ubon if i received my first license in Bangkok?

Is a residency certificate required? If so, where do i get one in Ubon?

Thanks for any insights wai2.gif

You can extend your Thai drivers license where ever you want. And you need a residency certificate. This you can get from your embassy and the local immigration office. Be ware of that you need a non-immigrant visa for both your Thai driver license and the residency certificate from the immigration office. And the immigration office will normally NOT issue a residency certificate if you live in a hotel.

Edited by Norlund

1. Go to a doctor (don’t go to the hospital unless you want to pay 500 baht!) and ask for a doctors certificate for drivers license. In Thai they call this “by rup rong paet ใบรับรองแพทย์”. This should only cost 30-60 baht depending on where you go to.

2. Go to your place of residence and ask the reception to write you a letter of residence. They probably won’t know what your talking about so just ask them to write a letter with the letter head stating that you are living at that address. It’s important that your full name and address of the apartment is written on the letter.

3. Now go to immigration and get a “Certificate of Residence” You’ll need 2 photos along with a copy of the doctors certificate a copy and the letter from the apartment owner you live at. Don’t give them the original doctor's certificate you’ll need that to get your license.

4. Once you have the certificate of residence and the doctors certificate and signed copies of your passport go to the drivers license office You get the smart card once you've had the provisional drivers license for more than a year. The 5 year drivers license which you can then get costs 250 baht. There is also a 100 baht fee for taking the photo (it’s digital so don’t go and get photo’s before hand!)

The "test" is pretty funny and don't fall asleep when you have to watch the one hour movie about the dangers of driving. Some reaction tests and you're good to go. Some Thais repeat their reaction test five times, but do pass. You can see the result when driving around in Isaan.

I'd reckon to do that at Sisaket's transport office. Seems to be easier. -wai2.gif

Hi Chris, I went along to the license office just up from the Honda training track on the ring road. Had my one year licence with me, they told me to go to the shop 2 doors from 7/11, pay a extortionate fee of 70 baht for a medical certificate, go back do the colour test (hehe) pull some ridiculous strings, and another test for red lights which your 2 year old could do and put on your best face for a photo and Bobs your uncle...you have a 5 year license. I did this about 6 months ago. I don't think too much has changed since then. I would advise you take your wife as the good ladies there don't speak too much English. Good luck!

Edited by AliasJohn

... or come to A. Kantharalak in southern Sisaket. No tests required for experienced driver falangs there, if my experience is anything to go by. But Sisaket immigration in Pusing or Meuang Sisaket do require 500 baht to issue a residency letter (unlikely to need evidence of address if you have been using that address on your arrivals cards) but bring Thai GF/Thai W and her housebook if that's where you live.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, I went along to the license office just up from the Honda training track on the ring road. Had my one year licence with me, they told me to go to the shop 2 doors from 7/11, pay a extortionate fee of 70 baht for a medical certificate, go back do the colour test (hehe) pull some ridiculous strings, and another test for red lights which your 2 year old could do and put on your best face for a photo and Bobs your uncle...you have a 5 year license. I did this about 6 months ago. I don't think too much has changed since then. I would advise you take your wife as the good ladies there don't speak too much English. Good luck!

I'd made mine being on crutches after a motorcycle accident. So much about the medical certificate. Lol.

But honestly reading AliasJohn's post, it makes perfect sense to go to Ubon, as you already have a one year license.The string test is unbelievable, as well as the red light district warning test.

The color test is also passable by blind people, as you're allowed to correct your answer five times. As far as I remember there're five colors.

I renewed my second 5 year license in Sisaket and had to watch a more than one hour movie about the dangers on two legs.

Here is some more information about doing it in Ubon.

You could get the residency certificate from your embassy, you could use a yellow tabien baan book or I think you could get it from immigration in Phibun if you have a 1 year visa. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Sorry, but just thinking about the wasted time and money for Naam Mann,some Immigration officer's strange behavior, I'd follow Alias John's advice, entering with a big smile in your face and leaving laughing.

I went to the local (Korat) immigration office to get my residency certificate for my drivers license. My wife came along and showed her Thai ID for proof of where we lived. It was sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by SpokaneAl

I did my 1 and 5 year motorcycle and car license in Ubon. I was told that I didn't have to watch the movie. I think I was given a paper which gave a brief description about the movie.

Well, at least 80% of the Thais slept, but I'd learned so much how to drive properly by just watching this movie.

A good looking girl was asking me afterwards, if I understood all. Actually I did after such a long time here.

I'd sent my 15 year old son to Sisaket on Friday to make his motorbike license.

.He made the questions, but has to be back on Monday to show them how his driving skills are.

Sad is that the former boss, my wife's uncle, was sent to an inactive post to Bangkok a few months ago.

Too many Lamborghini's are making too many problems for some people..

Edited by sirchai