A little help please! Extension (easy questions, I think)

Hey guys! I appreciate your help and I know I can get a quick, definitive answer here, unlike say, actually trying to call the Hua Hin immigration office whose number is either unassigned or goes unanswered for years now...

Anyway I am on a brand spanking new non-imm B and 90 days hits on March 26th. The job that GOT me that visa is NOT continuing the contract! whistling.gif Yeaaa! No worries, I got a new job over in Trat that will vouche for me... ...In a month or so.

So I am screwed and need an extension. First question, if I go ON the 26th, that's cool right? Essentially I want to get as many days as possible and don't want to burn days by going early.

This is Hua Hin immigration office just to be clear...

**Unnecessary interjection: I was at the HH imm office about 4 months ago and needed more than 7 days (before I got this B visa), and the pikey (officer) at the desk told me he could give me 30, 60 or 90 day extension for 7k, 10k and 13k, respectively. He actually had the audacity to write this down and push the paper towards me - which he would NOT let me have and snatched it away when I tried to get it. I know these guys, like "10 years" of legal visas - know these guys living in HH, seeing them over dinner, and they know me. They seem almost entertained putting the pinch on me after all the legal years of 'stamp and go' convenience... Bastards. I can't afford the 'milk money' in this case, otherwise I'd just pay the bri... er... 'toll'...**

SORRY: Back to matters at hand: I think they are only going to give me a 7-day extension.... Is that correct? Does anyone think or know if I can get more (possibly 30 - which would be wonderful!)??

Next question: If I can get 7 days or if I can get 30 (I pray), can I buy a re-entry permit on my current non-imm-B? Because I am going to HAVE to leave the country to bridge the gap between contracts. It would be nice not to leave the country and come back on a tourist visa and have to go through the damned process again in BKK diddlin' the teat of the labor department to get them to give the same papers I did months ago.

Finally, if I just get 7 days I am going to be burnt on April 2nd; now I got to move my happy a** and what little crap I have half way across the country whilst finishing my contract (31st). Question: If I show up at the Cambodian border to exit on the 3rd, I am on 1 day overstay right? (200 THB?) But that does THAT effect my visa status - with or without a re-entry permit? Will the re-entry - if I can get one - will it still work if I am on a day overstay? If not I am gonna have to do this trick with freaking mirrors!

All the stuff I have been doing in above the board and legal; if anything this seems to add to the complexity and headaches. But I am not rich and cannot afford 'favors'.

Your guys help is greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance! wai2.gif

Edited by EnigmaBurn

To be perfectly honest I have a great deal of difficulty understanding what it is you want to know. Having said I am sure that there are many out there who will understand what it is you want. Good luck??

also have a problem..my friend wont listen about his visa..so can we clarify this

he is married to a thai..

he entered thailand on visa on arrival.....30 days..

he has extended it at immigration for 30..days...

will do border crossing when the 30 days have expired..

now he said when that expires he goes back to immigration for another 30 days..

then when that expires..he does another border crossing..

and this is the cycle he is going to do

30 days visa extension...30 days border run...

i said i am not sure but you may have problems....

whats the correct thing to do..it old him get a tourist visa ..but seems not to listen

Wow, I am suprised. Um, sorry. Okay, let's try this:

1.) I currently have a 1 year, non-immigrant B visa, issued on December 28 in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana); the way this little thing works though is every 90 days I have to show up at immigration and give them supporting documents (signed by the sponsoring employer) that I am still there and all is well. Then Immigration does the the little "stampy-stampy" thing, collect their money and you are on your way.

BUT,

2.) My contract has not been renewed, so that nice, fresh 1-year non-imm B visa hits its first 90 day 'check-in' or whatever. It is effectively an extension - everyone on 1-year visa has to do the 90 day check in. But, I cannot get a document that asserts that I am still employed for this check in on March 26, since my contract is not being renewed.

SO:

Q1: I can only get 7 days (extension) right?

Q2: Does anyone think I can get a 30-day extension or that I am entitled to one in the visa situation I just described?
Q3: Can I buy a re-entry permit for this visa - no matter what extention I get - can I get a re-entry permit for THIS non-immigrant-B visa?

Q4: If I exit one-day late, it is overstay of 200 THB correct?

Q5: Would exiting 1 day late (overstay) effect the re-entry permit validity (assuming the answer for Q3 is yes and I can get one)?

Sorry I added to much pomp and circumstance to my story and cuased confusion. But your help is greatly appreciated.

Q1: I can only get 7 days (extension) right?

Q2: Does anyone think I can get a 30-day extension or that I am entitled to one in the visa situation I just described?
Q3: Can I buy a re-entry permit for this visa - no matter what extention I get - can I get a re-entry permit for THIS non-immigrant-B visa?

Q4: If I exit one-day late, it is overstay of 200 THB correct?

Q5: Would exiting 1 day late (overstay) effect the re-entry permit validity (assuming the answer for Q3 is yes and I can get one)?

Yes, 7 days.

No.

A re-entry permit is only good until the end of your current permission to stay. It does not give you any additional time.

Overstay is 500 baht per day, and has been for many years.

Any re-entry permit would expire when your permission to stay expires.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

TerryLH - WOO!

Thank you!

Point of clarification. If I get a 7 day extentsion, then my permission to stay is until that 7 days is up right? So, can I not get the re-entry permit and use it get 30 at a border?

Thank you sir!

If you come from a G7 country a 30 day visa exempt entry will be given when returning to Thailand without a visa.

There is no point in obtaining a re-entry permit for a 7 day extension of stay !

Edited by thepool

TerryLH - WOO!

Thank you!

Point of clarification. If I get a 7 day extentsion, then my permission to stay is until that 7 days is up right? So, can I not get the re-entry permit and use it get 30 at a border?

Thank you sir!

If you come from a G7 country a 30 day visa exempt entry will be given when returning to Thailand without a visa.

True and I am a G7, but there still overlooks the idea/intention of getting the re-entry permit: The idea is to re-enter on a B, not a tourist.

If I am understand you sir, what you are saying is a re-entry would be meaningless because I would only have non-imm-B (90) + 7 day extension and thus, re-entering anywhere would still just get me a tourist visa because the validy of the B is seen as expired?

Many thanks! :)

Asked and asnwered - thank you Pool!

And a good day to you, thanks for the help sir!

** My hope was that they new 30 would be issued under the B rather than a tourist visa. But what your saying makes sense of course. Thank you! **

Edited by EnigmaBurn

Slow down

What EXACTLY is in the passport ?

A 12 month multiple entry "B" visa obtained outside Thailand ?

OR

An extension of stay which requires 90 day reporting to immigration ?

Edited by thepool

Hey Pool, you're a hell of a sport! Thanks!

The answer is neither. It NOT a Non-Imm-B obtained outside of the country, NOR is it a 90 extentsion. It is a new 1-year, Non-Imm-B visa, but it is complicated...

I don't want to confuse the topic by going into that. Does this help?

jZPG9.jpg

d819I.jpg

Thanks Pool!

Thank you

As you will have noted the " permission to stay" expires on the 26th of March.

Without paperwork from an employer there is no hope of that being extended. The "permission to stay" ceases on the day the job finishes.

You will not regain entry to the country with that visa . Nor can you get an extension beyond 7 days from the day the job ends.

Nor can you obtain a re-entry permit based on that visa.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and sincerely hope someone will come along and prove me wrong !

And that you Pool!

I don't think you will be proven wrong. I had a lot of things in my mind that amounted to "fantasy" or luck about how I might be able to deal with the situation.

I can go to HH immigration ON the 26th to get my 7 day extension right? To get the most days forward as possible? Going on the day of expiry is okay right?

If so, then it looks like what I will have to do is:

1. - HH on 26th to get 7 days on March 26th.
2. - Burma on April 2nd to get 30 more as a tourist.
3. - Get paperwork from NEW employer (apparently will be done in 15 days, give or take).

4. - Go back to BKK ** this is where things are effecively "starting over"...

Would you agree? Thank you for your help sir, it is much appreciated!

I have removed inflammatory posts and bickering afterwords.

The only choice you have is to apply for a 7 day extension prior to the 26th and then leave the country after that for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

The chances are very high that you will have to go out to an embassy or consulate for your B visa. Not all companies are able to arrange a conversion to a non immigrant visa. If possible you will only have 15 days to do it from the date you enter the country with the 30 day entry.

You will also need an approved work permit application.

Oh crap that's right! facepalm.gif

Thanks Joe for the reminder, yeah they always want 15 days before the switch over!

That means it will be two runs for the border then. Damn.

Company's cool, no worries there. Just the bullocks of doing everything, legally even, that becomes the headache.

Thanks!

An American friend of mine went to immigration recently looking for a 7 day extension. They gave him 14 because he had a US passport (G8 they said)

In my day we needed B visas for work permits. You could go to Trat, get the paperwork and take a bus to Pnomh Penh. Trat to Koh Khong 1 hour and 4 hours by bus to PP. Check the border opening time and bus timetable in Cambodia. You might need to be at the border when it opens, or else risk having to stay overnight in Koh Khong.

Mojomor

"An American friend of mine went to immigration recently looking for a 7 day extension. They gave him 14 because he had a US passport (G8 they said)"

Is this fact or hearsay ?

I have never heard of anyone receiving a fourteen day extension no matter which countries passport is held

Perhaps the Mods know about this ?

I have never of heard it being done.

The police order only allows 7 days to leave after an extension is denied which is what the so called 7 day extension is. You apply for it pay 1900 baht and they give you days to leave.

From police order 777/2551

4. In the case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the non-permission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date following the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

Hmpf. Interesting on the 14 day stuff, if I get the chance I will push for it and report back to you guys. "But, I am an American! G8!?" See if it works... tongue.png

Follow-up question(s) for you gents:

Q1: The Chanthaburi to Krong Pailin/Battambang border crossing, is that a sound over land route for a visa run? Anything I should know or special about crossing there or to Cambodia in general (never been). I will be on 1 or 2 days of overstay.

Q2: Any reason(s) why I should opt for the mini-bus rather than just biking myself there?

Q3: I can just cross over, have a smoke, turn around and come back right? I don't 'need' (or want really) to see Cambodia [on this occasion].

Thanks guys!

Hmpf. Interesting on the 14 day stuff, if I get the chance I will push for it and report back to you guys. "But, I am an American! G8!?" See if it works... tongue.png

Q1: The Chanthaburi to Krong Pailin/Battambang border crossing, is that a sound over land route for a visa run? Anything I should know or special about crossing there or to Cambodia in general (never been). I will be on 1 or 2 days of overstay.

Q2: Any reason(s) why I should opt for the mini-bus rather than just biking myself there?

Q3: I can just cross over, have a smoke, turn around and come back right? I don't 'need' (or want really) to see Cambodia [on this occasion].

Thanks guys!

1. It is a good crossing and less busy than others.

2. Assume you mean motor bike. I see no reason you couldn't do it if you have stamina to do it.

3. You can depart through Thai immigration, buy get your visa for Cambodia and then enter. Then stay for a long or little as you want and then return to Thailand.

Thanks guys!

1. It is a good crossing and less busy than others.

2. Assume you mean motor bike. I see no reason you couldn't do it if you have stamina to do it.

3. You can depart through Thai immigration, buy get your visa for Cambodia and then enter. Then stay for a long or little as you want and then return to Thailand.

Sweeeeet!

I haven't decided on doing the drive myself for sure yet. Yeah, would take a little stamina, cost about the same as the mini-bus. Just being able to come and go as I want would be nice...

Thanks!

Reason I mentioned PP was there is a Thai embassy there, where you might be able to get a B visa. A simple crossover will not get you one of these.

Why you would want to go to Battambang is beyond me --- check your geography --- it's 6 hours from PP.

The info about the 14 days was from the man himself --- it was a surprise to me also --- he only needed 6 days anyway, so it was not necessary.