Explosive devices?

FolkGuitar

This just arrived in my inbox from the consulate:

Friday March 21, between 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. unidentified persons threw explosive devices at several locations in the greater Chiang Mai area—including a gas station, a restaurant parking lot, and an office building—resulting in four injuries. The attacks occurred in Nong Hoi, Muang district; tambon Yang Nerng, Sarapee; and tambon Pa Dad, Chiang Mai city, respectively. Thai authorities are investigating.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at www.Travel.State.Gov[Links to http://www.travel.state.gov/]. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency.

• Like 1

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5703220010005

CHIANG MAI, 22 Mar 2014, (NNT) - Police officials report that there were multiple bombings in Chiang Mai last night, saying no group or individual has come forward to claim responsibility, while acknowledging the incidents were the work of ill intentioned individuals creating public alarm.

The first violent attack was on a PTT fuel station in Muang District at around half past eight, the police said, adding four people were injured, three of whom were station employees while the other was a customer. All the injured were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

About one hour after the event, another attack occurred in Boonrawd Co.Ltd. in Saraphee District where an unknown number of attackers threw two grenades into the company’s compound. One bomb exploded while the the other did not. No one was injured during this attack.

Finally at 10.15 PM, another bomb went off at the Andaman Seafood Restaurant in Muang District, Chiang Mai. The blast wrecked two cars but fortunately no casualties or injuries were caused.

Police are conducting an investigation into the triple attacks.

Personal or business vendetta probably where one of the three bombs was a distraction as to the real cause?

My view is that BKK centric democratic groups would be highly unlikely to launch any sort of bombing campaign, the risk is too high because of the odds.

Oh wait, you said "educated guess", I retract the above. laugh.png

CHIANG MAI, 22 Mar 2014, (NNT) - Police officials report that there were multiple bombings in Chiang Mai last night, saying no group or individual has come forward to claim responsibility, while acknowledging the incidents were the work of ill intentioned individuals creating public alarm.

If no group or individual came forward to claim responsibility, I wonder why the police feel confident stating that this was the work of ill intentioned individuals creating public alarm, rather than someone/group with a specific agenda?

So.. I can see a motive for Boon Rawd, but less so for the gas station and parking lot near Andaman.

Anyone any (educated) guesses?

a report in the thread in the Chiang Mai news forum stated the gas station owner is an ex senator and PDRC supporter.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

So.. I can see a motive for Boon Rawd, but less so for the gas station and parking lot near Andaman.

Anyone any (educated) guesses?

The PTT and Singha connections are well known my guess is any place with Andaman seafood must have a strong southern connection also...During the 2010 red revolt I rented a town house near CM construction (also yellow connected) they were hit 2 times by grenades, so it is just SOP for the CM reds.

• Like 1

I live not 2 minutes waalk from where the bomb went of thought the appartment was going to go too I know the young people that work there I get my gas there every week they are really good nice people SHAME they had to face the brunt of something being done by someone who holds a grudge.....my thoughts are with them

• Like 1

Well its very thoughtful of the U.S. Embassy issuing advice to its citizens.

The British Embassy obviously doesn't give a stuff about us.....and other embassies likewise about the safety of their citizens.

Then again are the US blowing things out of proportion.?

• Like 1

Well its very thoughtful of the U.S. Embassy issuing advice to its citizens.

The British Embassy obviously doesn't give a stuff about us.....and other embassies likewise about the safety of their citizens.

Then again are the US blowing things out of proportion.?

I think the British government care it's just that it has not reached a point where even at a random risk level it is likely to affect UK nationals.

I always remember the Home Secreatry coming up with that wonderful term in Northern Ireland, that would come to be part of the daily warnings.....that there was an "acceptable level of violence". We have not reached that stage yet.

As Winnie pointe out far more risk with drunk drivers (and driving), Pattaya sky diving, Downtown Inn, Full Moon parties, New Years...and the dreaded and upcomming ...Songkran.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If no group or individual came forward to claim responsibility, I wonder why the police feel confident stating that this was the work of ill intentioned individuals creating public alarm, rather than someone/group with a specific agenda?

The red shirts are not yet ready to openly admit they are nothing but a group of terrorist thugs.

It is common knowledge but they will not admit it. Just look at the pictures of them beating a monk just because he tried to stop them from destroying property that did not belong to them.

They are loosing there support here in Chiang Mai so they are resorting to more violent methods.

Sad days ahead for Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The red shirts are not yet ready to openly admit they are nothing but a group of terrorist thugs.

It is common knowledge but they will not admit it. Just look at the pictures of them beating a monk just because he tried to stop them from destroying property that did not belong to them.

They are loosing there support here in Chiang Mai so they are resorting to more violent methods.

it just goes to show how little you know about this country even though you believe you are an expert. the PT party are NOT losing their support in C.M.

• Like 1

it just goes to show how little you know about this country even though you believe you are an expert. the PT party are NOT losing their support in C.M.

I think it is you Oscar who is not living up to reality. The Redshirts are still very strong in numbers here in CM but there are chinks in the program and their popularity is declining.

• Like 2

I think you can have broad acceptance that all red shirts are PT, it is by no means conclusive that all PT are red shirts. If the red shirts reduce numbers that does not translate totally to less support for the PT. Yingluck (to me) remains incredibly popular in CM. AV/Suthep not so.Yingluck visits here freely and generates a lot of support and attention. For the Dems it remains a bit of a no go zone.

I can't see how any activity of late has reduced support for the PT (as opposed to red shirts). Chinks in the red shirts yes..in the PT no....and certainly not chinks wide enough to make people vote Dem. The situation is too polarized all round with absolutes. I can't see where there is a big swing voter category that both sides can pick up in the middle ground...and the parties themselves do not try to appeal to any middle constituency,

Really it's no better than unquestioning lifelong family support to a football team.....kinda sad way to run a country and has produced these endless cycles rather than any real progress.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

The only sound of explosions up here on Mae Jo Road is the

electricity transformers, 3 yesterday when it was raining,resulting

in a black out, and another one today at Meechok Plaza,and the

whole plaza was blacked out,except Rim Ping ,they must have a

generator.

The PEA must be buying cheap Chinese made transformers as

every time it rains you can hear at least one explode.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

The only sound of explosions up here on Mae Jo Road is the

electricity transformers, 3 yesterday when it was raining,resulting

in a black out, and another one today at Meechok Plaza,and the

whole plaza was blacked out,except Rim Ping ,they must have a

generator.

The PEA must be buying cheap Chinese made transformers as

every time it rains you can hear at least one explode.

regards Worgeordie

I liked that. Yes, after a long dry period the first big rain showers always cause the HV fuses to pop. The latest 2 heavy rain showers in our area caused power off immediately as the rain started falling - twice. My Thai wife has joked about the Thai power systen since I met her - only takes a dog to pee to cause a power out. I could say that in Thai but that's allowed on TV.

• Like 1

In reality it just goes to show your inability to read I said nothing about the PTP.

Just out of curiosity are you a red shirt trying to throw people off the track?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif