Getting first visa

Hi,

My first post so please bear with me.

I am a male British national ,resident of South Africa, married to a Thai national for several years and now nearing retirement.

My wife will return to Thailand in April and I will follow after my work contract finishes in June.

I have visited Thailand several times but only for short periods so know I can get a 30 day entry when I get to Bangkok airport.

My intention is to settle in Thailand but have some worries about future visas, as probably all new comers do.

What visa should I apply for? I understand that I have to have a certain amount in the bank 400-800K but can I open a bank account? Is it advisable to go to the Thai embassy in Pretoria, South Africa, and ask for a tourist visa or any long term visa, or come in on the 30 day visa and apply at the embassy/immigration office in Bangkok? As you see I do need help so any good advice will be most welcome. Thank you

You apply for a non-immigrant visa at a Thai embassy or consulate.

Either based on your marriage or based on retirement (if being over 50). On show of the required documents, which will depend on the embassy/consulate in qyuestion, you will get a non-O visa good for 90 days.

After arrival in Thailand you open a bank account and deposit either 400,000 (marrigae) or 800,000 (retirement) in the bank. (Retirement is easier, but requires more money in the bank).

After 2 months you visit immirgaiton for a 1 year extension of stay.

Opening a bankacocunt can be problomatic, but not if your wife goes witth you and already has a bankaccount with that bank. otherwise you just go to a different bank and try there.

• Like 1

You can apply for a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon marriage to a Thai at the embassy that will give you a 90 day entry.

You can then apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. The financial requirements are 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy.

The 800k baht number you mentioned is for an extension based upon retirement.

You can open a bank account without a problem. Your wife can sign as your guarantor to open an account.

• Like 1

Either based on your marriage or based on retirement (if being over 50). On show of the required documents, which will depend on the embassy/consulate in qyuestion, you will get a non-O visa good for 90 days.

After arrival in Thailand you open a bank account and deposit either 400,000 (marrigae) or 800,000 (retirement) in the bank. (Retirement is easier, but requires more money in the bank).

Opening a bankacocunt can be problomatic, but not if your wife goes witth you and already has a bankaccount with that bank. otherwise you just go to a different bank and try there.

Many thanks Mario. I probably will go to Thailand initially for one month and then back to South Africa to sort things out. During that month I am there can I open a bank account with a nominal amount until I sought my finances out in S.A where they have strong currency regulations?

You can apply for a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon marriage to a Thai at the embassy that will give you a 90 day entry.

You can then apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. The financial requirements are 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy.

The 800k baht number you mentioned is for an extension based upon retirement.

You can open a bank account without a problem. Your wife can sign as your guarantor to open an account.

Very helpful, thank you Ubonjoe.

I wanted to ask about having an income as opposed to a fixed sum in the bank. I have to get a letter from the bank to the embassy stating I have an income of, I think 60k Baht, does it have to state where that income comes from, such as pension, investments etc? Thanks again

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The income requirement for an extension based upon marriage is 40k baht and for retirement it is 65K baht.

There is no requirement for the income letter to show the source of your income.

Whilst the "income letter" does not have to show the source of income, some Embassy's do require evidence of the source of funds before a letter will be issued.

Many thanks Mario. I probably will go to Thailand initially for one month and then back to South Africa to sort things out. During that month I am there can I open a bank account with a nominal amount until I sought my finances out in S.A where they have strong currency regulations?

Yes you can open a bank account on a visa exempt entry. You may need to try a few banks but it can be done. You could have your wife with you which may help, but remember if the account is for an extension to stay it has to be in your name only..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The income requirement for an extension based upon marriage is 40k baht and for retirement it is 65K baht.

There is no requirement for the income letter to show the source of your income.

Whilst the "income letter" does not have to show the source of income, some Embassy's do require evidence of the source of funds before a letter will be issued.

Phuket Immi now require proof of the source of the funds to support the embassy/consulate letter.