US Visa Form I-130: How to answer Question #13?

Below is question 13 on US Visa Form I-130.

Which do I check?

I am a US citizen born abroad.

My birth certificate is Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the US.

13. If you are a U.S. citizen, complete the following:

My citizenship was acquired through (check one):

___Birth in the U.S.

___Naturalization. Give certificate number and date and place of issuance.

___Parents. Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your own name?

___Yes. Give certificate number, date and place of issuance. ___No

Unless I am reading this wrong there are three options and the third one fits perfictly - his citizenship is from parents and he has the form making him a citizen. Check yes to parents and certificate and provide the certificate number and date/place of issue. This is based on information provided above as I have not read detailed instructions for forms. He was not born in US (that is a separate route to citizenship).

___Parents. Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your own name? ___Yes. Give certificate number, date and place of issuance.

The FS-240 is not a certificate of citizenship it a Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the US. That is why I defaulted to birth in the US.

This is correct. I agree with your thinking.

I did an internet search on "US Certificate of Citizenship." Many pictures of a "Certificate of Citizenship" popped up. They look like a university degree.

A certificate of citizenship number begins with an "A." I don't have any such thing.

You have citizenship by birth because of your parents - you were born outside the US - the proof is your Embassy report of birth abroad.

Ok. For the certificate number, should I write "FS-240" ? The report has no identifying number. I looked all over the entire form.

I easily found the date and place of issuance.