Buy 2 pay 1 at Rimping

tropico

I usually have no problem with rimping products but it happened already a few times that I bought some biscuits on promotion 2 x 1 that were old and not crunchy anymore. I am not sure this happened only to me but if it is a systematic way of selling old products, it is definitely not appreciated. Did somebody have the same experience?

Ignore the sarcasm. Stale products should never knowingly be sold, promo or no promo. It can also lead to health issues. Speak to the manager about it. I was at Rimping last week and saw someone bring back a bag of cookies at the counter.

I love Rimping, but I am wary about these 2-for-1 specials, as often times it's close to the sell-by date. However, sometimes the date is not legible or there's a sticker on it, in which case you should just leave it there. It might not be Rimping's fault as the manufacturer may have stretched the date a bit too much or the product may not have been stored or transported properly before arriving at the store.

If you have a problem with any shop, the thing to do is return the product, rather than posting it on a forum.

This has two benefits - the shop will normally replace it immediately, so your problem is solved.Second, they are usually very grateful to learn of any defective promotional products which come from their supplier, and will thank you for letting them know. Rimping certainly would.

I have had some super 'Buy One Get One Free deals' from Rimping - the most recent was Tyrrels potato crisps which in my opinion are far better than Frito Lay or any others.

• Like 1

I bought some 2 for 1 chocolate in there a long time ago. I think it had melted first and then hardened again. It was totally inedible. There's no way Rimping can do their buy one get one free on goods that are not inferior.

• Like 1

I've bought loads of buy 1 get 1 cereals and biscuits at Rimping and never had a problem. When I've checked , the sell by date has usually been a month or so away. If I did have a problem I'd return them to the store and I'm pretty sure they would refund it. I'd be more sympathetic to your cause if you'd mentioned trying to return them before posting here.

An imported box of cereal usually 225 baht, buy one get one free.

Too much loss, so somethings not right with it.

As I said, I've bought loads of them and never had a problem. Are you saying I'm wrong?

If you bear in mind the number of products that they sell at the regular price compared to the occasional few they sell at a loss because they are near their sell by date, I think they're well up. I also perceive Rimping as a store that would refund without much fuss. Either way, I'm a happy customer.

• Like 1

I've been buying Lorenz potato chips at Rim Ping on a 2 for 1 deal. They were in perfect condition.

But I do agree with one of the previous posters. Return the product. On the few occasions when I returned something, absolutely no fuss was made. They accepted the return without question or hassle.

The natures best granola bars they seem to have sold forever on. 2 for 1 promo has recently stopped, never had a prob w/them. I did get tude from Rimping when trying to get refund for sour dairy product, was told need to bring back w/reciept but I wasn't about to carry around smelly old goat milk yogurt until I stopped in next time. Was told I should open all products and chk before I leave store then. La la la oh what a beautiful morning .......

• Like 1

As I said, I've bought loads of them and never had a problem. Are you saying I'm wrong?

If you bear in mind the number of products that they sell at the regular price compared to the occasional few they sell at a loss because they are near their sell by date, I think they're well up. I also perceive Rimping as a store that would refund without much fuss. Either way, I'm a happy customer.

Of course not, why are you making it personal? I'm just questioning how a store can take such a hit on an imported product (and presumably still make a nice profit). When they have 2 for 1 there are certainly have a lot of them, so the supplier obviously wants to get rid of them cheaply. I have looked at the sell by date on some of the deals and they often have a year to go, so it's not just that factor.

If what you eat suits you then that's entirely your business.smile.png

• Like 1

In marketing it is called a "loss leader" the thought being, "i'll stop by limping to to check out the bogof deals" then while you are there you throw a bunch of profitable items in your cart..... they know their business.

I just bought several rather large tins of excellent loose leaf Sri Lankan tea (270gm) marked at sale price (106 baht) from Tops. The manager made sure to tell me that the expiration date was only 6 months away. (It was marketed for Christmas sale.) But this particular tea is vacuum sealed inside a mylar bag, that being inside a sealed can. (I bought one tin a few days before to try. It's a full-bodied tea that can stand up to a second steeping!) This tea will still taste fresh after 2-3 more years! The essential oils can't evaporate. Having teas that are several years old but well packaged is not a problem. It's only once they are opened and exposed to air that they begin to loose flavor. I'm a devout teaist, and this one is a keeper!

Sometimes, foods near or past expiration dates can be a real bargain. 'Sometimes.'

In marketing it is called a "loss leader" the thought being, "i'll stop by limping to to check out the bogof deals" then while you are there you throw a bunch of profitable items in your cart..... they know their business.

Yeah, I guess there are people who will make a special trip to Rimping to see if they have something on sale that they normally can't afford. Personally, whenever I go there I know exactly what I want, it's never on special and for sure I won't buy it in the fruit and veg section. It's an OK place for certain western things.

• Like 1

...or the product may not have been stored or transported properly before arriving at the store.

Suspect that accounts for a big chunk of it. Very common for pasta to have weevils in it due to excess humidity.

Had this problem years ago and apparently its the eggs in the pasta [very very small] and as pasta is not cooked in manufacturing process but is dried, the eggs survive..

I've never heard of a link between weevils and excess humidity before...interesting..

Is this a fact or just your deduction?

PS i know that in some places people freeze all their susceptible products to kill the eggs/lavae..

Luckily for me, Rimping never has a "buy two pay 1" sale on anything that I actually want, so I have never had to deal with it being stale.

Luckily for me, Rimping almost always has a 2 for 1 promotion on the few items I buy there, mainly cookies and cereals, and I've never had a stale product yet. I did a quick check earlier and was amazed to find that I have two different cereals (the crunchy oatmeal type, not your boring old plain oats) and a packet of biscuits, and the sell by dates range from 1 month to 6 months. The oat bars mentioned above have a promotion about very two months.

Lucky for us both, it seems.

Of course not, why are you making it personal? I'm just questioning how a store can take such a hit on an imported product (and presumably still make a nice profit). When they have 2 for 1 there are certainly have a lot of them, so the supplier obviously wants to get rid of them cheaply. I have looked at the sell by date on some of the deals and they often have a year to go, so it's not just that factor.

If what you eat suits you then that's entirely your business.smile.png

Most people dont't realise that the English language is just as tonal as Thai . My words were spoken with a tone of disbelief that someone could think I could possibly be mistaken as opposed to a tone of indignation. They were written with no intonation, unfortunately.

In case anyone else should misinterpret any of my future comments please bear in mind that nothing here surprises me, I couldn't possibly be offended by comments from people I've never met, and I am almost certainly more likely to be amused by any replies to my posts than annoyed, irrespective of their tone or intent. All good fun, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1