Meds

johnjames

Yeah, most meds are available over the counter (well, not narcotics,etc.), but you need to bring info on the meds you are taking, brand name, active ingredient, dosage, because the brand name of what you will find in Thailand will quite often be different. Also, you might have to go to several pharmacies to find exactly what you need, and also a great idea to compare prices, and you can even bargain for prices for bulk sales in local style pharmacies (not Boots of course).

You can certainly get some "prescription" meds OTC here. My mother was in Thailand on holiday a couple of months ago and she managed to find her prescription meds at the local pharmacy inside Tesco Lotus. Indeed my brother and sister-in-law who were also over, and are both pharmacists in the UK, were amazed at what was on offer.

Do also bear in mind that private medical care in the major cities is excellent - easily on a par with more developed nations, and so should you have to get a prescription, you will have no trouble at all (and it won't cost you an arm and a leg).

I have a little story. When I came over I was taking three different prescriptions for mainly my blood pressure. My blood pressure was apparently very difficult to control (?). I felt pretty bad every day. A friend of mine wanted to take me to see his doctor. He took me to Bangkok Pattaya hospital and after the doctor gave me a basic check up he asked what I was taking. I showed him all the pills. He said nothing but I detected that he didn't like what he saw. He advised me to throw them all away and prescribed an ACE inhibitor called Enaril at 20 mg and 60 mg coated aspirins. He told me that I would live forever and not to worry about it. I buy 100 foil wrapped pills for 325 baht. I had insurance in the states and each prescription cost me a $20 co-payment. Within two days I felt like a new man and for the FIRST time my blood pressure was truly under control. Since then I have dropped to 10 mg of Enaril. I have to break the pills in half because 10 mg are not available. I always take one 60 mg aspirin daily in addition to the 10 mg of Enaril.

Go to see a good English speaking doctor and don't try to be your own doctor. I now have more faith in the doctors here than I had in the ones in the US.