Fiasco At Immigration. Is This Correct ?

Friend just been to immigration Hua Hin to extend retirement long-stay visa.

Has pension but does not have embassy letter confirming it.

Went along with saving account book, minimal amount in it.

Also had fixed-term deposit account with several millions Baht in.

They said can not renew as money had to be in a savings account, ie: readible available. He thought ok, that's fair enough and said he would withdraw the 800k from fixed-term (forfeiting the interest) and put that in his savings account and come back.

They said no you can not do that, we want to see the 800k come into your savings account but will also want to see the fixed-term book to make sure it did not come from there.

Is this correct ?

So I will temporarily lend him the 800k, do they care money came into account just 1 or 2 days before ??

Cheers,

Edited by rockytimeshere

Friend just been to immigration Hua Hin to extend retirement long-stay visa.

Has pension but does not have embassy letter confirming it.

Went along with saving account book, minimal amount in it.

Also had fixed-term deposit account with several millions Baht in.

They said can not renew as money had to be in a savings account, ie: readible available. He thought ok, that's fair enough and said he would withdraw the 800k from fixed-term (forfeiting the interest) and put that in his savings account and come back.

They said no you can not do that, we want to see the 800k come into your savings account but will also want to see the fixed-term book to make sure it did not come from there.

Is this correct ?

So I will temporarily lend him the 800k, do they care money came into account just 1 or 2 days before ??

Cheers,

The problem is now, the bankbook don't show that the money comes from abroad. Bring a Bank statement or the guarantee from the embassy or better both!

Funds have to be wired into your Thai bank account from abroad each year before seeking extension of stay for retirement.

Can not loan your friend the money, has to come from outside Thailand.

Funds have to be wired into your Thai bank account from abroad each year before seeking extension of stay for retirement.

That is not correct that retirement funds have to be wired from abroad.

I have used several large ATM withdrawals to bring my acct balance over 800,000 baht and Immig. (Bangkok) had no problem with it. I told them what I had done and offered to show my receipts but they did not ask to see them. Maybe I have an honest face?? :o

if he can show that the original "several" million came from outside thailand and that the 800,000b has come out of that "several" million then that should in theory satisfy the authorities.

ask the bank to verify the source of the funds and the transfers from the deposit account to the savings account.

That is not correct that retirement funds have to be wired from abroad.

I have used several large ATM withdrawals to bring my acct balance over 800,000 baht and Immig. (Bangkok) had no problem with it. I told them what I had done and offered to show my receipts but they did not ask to see them. Maybe I have an honest face?? :D

No it is not your honest face.You either have money or you don't.The problems start with people that worry about a million baht or so that don't have it.I have never had a problem with immigration and my retirement visa.They know "I have it".It is actually a pleasure for me to go there once a year,reminds me how all my hard work paid off in retirement.Party Time!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:o:D

Edited by oopapasan

Is this correct ?

No, it is not.

It sounds like some 'jobsworth' official making up his own rules.

Money in a Fixed Deposit account is as readily available as money in a Savings account;you can withdraw from either at any time.

I have been showing money in Fixed Term Deposit Accounts as proof of funds for the last three years without query.