Second weekend with total alcohol ban in Thailand

george

How much wine and beer constitutes "flowing tremendously?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

lots of open bottles and pitchers of beer on the table in plain sight. the restaurant walls are glass and the road is a main street in central bangkok

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally it does not worry me but is an absolute joke. Do you see this in educated Western Societies.. NO!! I feel sorry for the owners and workers in the bars who are trying to make a living for their families. Its something like 5 weekends where bars have had to close this year already. The people who make these laws are the coprrupt with millions of baht in their accounts. They do not care about the average person who loses wages because of these stupid laws. Again Thailand a laughing stock around the world.

• Like 2

On a Hua Hin beach last night, noticed a BiB patrolling the beachside restaurants.

Now why are the police able to enforce booze laws, but seem never to have heard of traffic laws that NEED to be enforced. Has anyone ever seen a police car on a Thai road waiting to catch speeding idiots?

Great comment. These 'keystone cops' will not go near a real crime. Fining bar owners is far easier and safer than tracking down a thief who might want to fight them.

All the pubs in Pattaya such as Shenanigans, Lion, Pig and Whistle etc etc are always open on these days where alcohol is banned. Makes this law an even greater farce. Oh my god LOS; take your pick on what the 'S' may stand for.

Personally it does not worry me but is an absolute joke. Do you see this in educated Western Societies.. NO!! I feel sorry for the owners and workers in the bars who are trying to make a living for their families. Its something like 5 weekends where bars have had to close this year already. The people who make these laws are the coprrupt with millions of baht in their accounts. They do not care about the average person who loses wages because of these stupid laws. Again Thailand a laughing stock around the world.

Yep! the poor people. That's why I drink!burp.gif

Difficulty in obtaining alcohol, seems troubling to some Thai Visa members. I am not sure why. Home brew, is easy to make if you find alcohol to be a life staple.

MY GOD! what are all the drunks from austrailia and the UK going to do? leave for the P.I.?

Drinking alcoholic is allowed. Selling alcoholic beverages is NOT allowed.

So I am at the community pool with a couple of beers and friends. Smart people have stock.

Dumbs or people living by the day, like the Thai, may have a problem.

And if I've ran out of beer. There is still a family mart around, still selling alcoholic beverages at any time.

There should be a national pissup organised to protest the ban. The whole nation reveling pissdrunk, not a single vote cast the following day, purely in defiance. When the vote is rearranged with no ban in place, all electorate to turn up sober and vote, thereby proving that drink is the root cure for all evil.

Don't care, don't like alcohol and I think it turns people into instant morons.

If alcohol was banned forever I wouldn't care one bit.

Drunk people only looks like morons to people who are sober...

Drunk people are also a lot more fun to other drunk people...drunk.gif

I can remember in the U.S. when alcohol could not be sold on Sundays. 'Don't know if it's still like that anywhere or not. (I sort of doubt it. The religion-haters would scream bloody murder.)

Nope, laws like that are still common in parts of the US. Depends on the state and the county. Some counties in the US are dry and ban the sale of alcohol completely. In the county where Jack Daniel's is made it is actually illegal to sell alcohol that they make there!

• Like 1

I am all for it... everyday I see just as many drunk Thais as non-drunk Thais getting around... -sic-

The people that make these laws are just morons who have no grasp of society and just "come up" with something... it really is a <deleted> situation

Maybe if more drunks voted, then there would be fairer results, as booze tends to remove inhibition and they have more "free will"

Difficulty in obtaining alcohol, seems troubling to some Thai Visa members. I am not sure why. Home brew, is easy to make if you find alcohol to be a life staple.

Some guys are so smart that they buy alcohol a week in advance, imagine.

• Like 1

I can remember in the U.S. when alcohol could not be sold on Sundays. 'Don't know if it's still like that anywhere or not. (I sort of doubt it. The religion-haters would scream bloody murder.)

Nope, laws like that are still common in parts of the US. Depends on the state and the county. Some counties in the US are dry and ban the sale of alcohol completely. In the county where Jack Daniel's is made it is actually illegal to sell alcohol that they make there!

Those idiots have dry counties in 2014 and have to buy and pay the tax in the next county. Either way it does not seem to make any difference, just look what they are voting for in the US hahahaha. Half the country is stoned anyway

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You obviously haven't met me yet............giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif alt=giggle.gif width=20 height=25> ..............smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Oh, and just bought my beer............thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

As my old man (passed away now 30 years) told me after i got pissed down the rugby club on my 16th birthday and spewed everywhere " it doesn't take a man to drink , it takes a man to know when to stop!"

• Like 1

Reckon you must be the soul of the party at New Year, cracking jokes and hogging the Karaoke mike, Mr. Meldrew.

Above said with tongue in cheek

I really don't get the point of these laws. It's not like it's stopping anyone from having a beer if they want to have one, or buying a bottle of whiskey, or whatever.

Same as that 2 - 5pm thing, or the after midnight thing. I can easily get alcohol 24x7 if I want, so I don't see the point of denying me buying a bottle of red wine for a steak sauce, because I ended up going grocery shopping at 2:30pm.

Edited by Nautilus05