Buying a Mazda 3: Old or new model?

Hi motor gurus,

I will soon replace my temporarily imported Malay car (Hyundai i30) with probably a Mazda 3.

Until a couple of years back the used car prices were sky-high, but recently it seems like the savings for a 1-2 years old car is increasing / getting interesting. Probably due to consequences derived from "first car discount scheme"...

Also, I prefer not to take the loss of value for a new car rolling our of the door as I am uncertain how long time I will be in the country, but assuming 1+ year...

Looking for Mazda 3 (but could be any hatchback in that class) I spotted an almost new one (2 L hatchback, high spec, 2013 model, 16 kkm only) for asking price 679 kBht on Taladrod.com. Seems to me like a good deal, but what do you experts say - compared to the new model just released? The new model is quite awesome, but also has some delivery time and seems like the 0% over 48 months instalment cannot be converted into cash discount (info received in BigC Chiang Mai where currently displayed).

This offer is from a dealer, and actually I would not mind buying (cheaper) on an auction or similar. Are there car auctions in Chiang Mai area?

The resell price of an old model will also be affected by the new model I guess, so I am trying to establish which price difference between new and slightly used would be adequate...

Lastly, which discount should I ask for when paying cash?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will soon buy a 2014 Mazda 3 Sedan (base model) for 833,000 baht. My Thai wife is doing all the negotiations but I can pass along what I know from her.

Firstly, I have test driven the 2013 and 2014 Mazda 3s here in Bangkok and was impressed with both vehicles. The 2014 is a "major change" over the 2013 and we much prefer it mainly because it is bigger. You can get a brand new 2013 with 0% interest or 175,000 baht discount on sticker price.

• With discounts of up to 175,000 baht (condition ** for the Mazda3 2.0L 2013 model)
  • Or installments at 0% interest to 72 months. (condition ** 25% down)
  • And FREE! Class insurance For all

For the 2014 model, paying cash does not get you any discounts and in fact you may even have to pay more than the base price. All the Mazda dealerships seem to be fairly standardized on what they can offer. They can throw in up to 10,000 baht in free options such as 3M tinted window film and rear sensors, Financing with 25% down and 4 years to repay was at 2.4% or 2.9% with the higher rate providing the first year's insurance for free (value approximately 24,000 baht).

• Like 1

Thank you Dwarf for some input, had hoped for more replies but that life...

Did you already reserve a new 3 and what is promised delivery time in BKK?

I'll go to the Mazda dealer here in CM today and see if they also have the old 3 on stock so I can compare side by side as you did.

Have not booked yet as we want to visit one more Mazda dealership, the fourth, and then pick the best amongst them. The 2014 Mazda3 hatchbacks are available now with delivery promised "in April". The sedans are coming in "a couple months" with no firm date from the sales guys. Also note there is a 10K baht surcharge if you want white and 15K if you pick red.

Have not booked yet as we want to visit one more Mazda dealership, the fourth, and then pick the best amongst them. The 2014 Mazda3 hatchbacks are available now with delivery promised "in April". The sedans are coming in "a couple months" with no firm date from the sales guys. Also note there is a 10K baht surcharge if you want white and 15K if you pick red.

'Also note there is a 10K baht surcharge if you want white and 15K if you pick red.'

Waz with the xtra costs for certain colors? Usually I see only white, but now I'm seeing red!

Yesterday I visited one of the 3 Mazda dealers here in CM and test drove the new M3 hatchback "high plus" spec as well as the only 2013 model they had left, with 1.6L engine only.

The new is great, no doubt about it, but also unfair to compare to the 1.6 L model. Dealer investigated which other 2013 models (5 Dr and 2.0L) is available at Mazda and claims none in whole Thailand. So they cannot offer that alternative and I have to go to "normal" dealers, where I have found approx. 20 cars with less than 50 kkm on the meter and almost all have some guarantee time left (whatever that is worth).

I asked for documented fuel mileage for old and new model, but they only provided numbers on a calculator, claiming on highway 19 km/L for New M3 and 15 km/L for 2011-2013 model. I cant find any data on the internet - have anybody digged out those numbers ??

Only 1 week delivery time on high plus model (in red colour but fine for me), but longer (around 3 months) on lower spec types. They wanted to push for high plus. No extra for colour, and was offered 1 year insurance and window film but no discount on full cash payment.

But the high plus price tag combined with no rear parking sensors (replaced by this fancy RMV system that however does not assist you when parking) moves me into the "plus" model as is 100 kBht less. I like the bigger wheels that does not come with the 2 lowest spec models.

When do you think that the arrival of New M3 will really affect the old model prices? I see some asking for ridicilous much, ie. wanting 800+ kBht for 2012 model with just little extra to compensate...

Here is a quote we received today for the 2014 Mazda3 base model. Sensors are 2,600 baht and free with these two financing options (I am told they are an add-on and not factory installed). The dealer we visited last weekend had 6 new 2014 Mazda3 hatchbacks ready for delivery to customers and at least two were the 2.0C Sports version (leather seats, infotainment system,16 inch wheels) but none were 2.0E Sports (base model).

2014 Mazda 3 Skyactive 2.0E

Option 1: Free insurance first year

Full Price 833,000.00 Net Price 833,000.00

Down payment 324,870.00

Amount to be Financed 508,130.00

interest rate* w/ free insurance 3.00%

mortage each month for 48 months 11,856.37

total car cost 893,975.60

Option 2: No Free insurance

Full Price 833,000.00

Net Price 833,000.00

Down payment 324,870.00

Amount to be Financed 508,130.00

interest rate* no free insurance 2.39% 48 month 11,598.07

We need to buy Viraya Insurance 23,600.00

total car cost 905,177.23

diff 11,201.63

Free insurance (If Option 1 selected) 23,600.00

Lamina film 4,000.00

4 sensors with car color 2,600.00

plate registration fee 5,500.00

gas 500.00

rubber mats 680.00

registration frame 350.00

Total free worth 13,630.00

need to buy

car cover 1,600.00

Red plate deposit 3,000.00

Total to pay on day 341,326.37

Edited by Spinning Dwarf

I asked for documented fuel mileage for old and new model, but they only provided numbers on a calculator, claiming on highway 19 km/L for New M3 and 15 km/L for 2011-2013 model. I cant find any data on the internet - have anybody digged out those numbers ??

The Australian Fuel consumption test has the new 3 with 2.0L engine at 13.3 km/L for combined city/highway. These values are usually not too far off if the car is driven gently. Interestingly the auto and manual are about the same so Mazda must have done something good with the SkyActive auto.

You can get some real world fuel consumption data here: http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3

Keep in mind the new model was available earlier in some markets. New model seems to average 13.5 with old model 11.5 - 12 km/L

Either source suggests the dealers 19km/L is optimistic, at least as an average.

We have a older 3 in the family and it does about 10km/L but mostly on short trips.

Edited by Jitar

• 1 month later...

i am thinking to buy the new mazda 3 as well. Actually is the more powerfull beetwen the toyota altis and the honda civic. But i am not sure about the resell value. They told me that mazda are not so popular here in thailand.

I was thinking to buy the 2.0 S sport becose of xenon light in particular, but i am not sure about the 18 wheels, of course they look very nice but at the same time some road here are not so good and maybe with the 18 whells you will lose something in terms of comfort.

do you have any suggestion?

i am thinking to buy the new mazda 3 as well. Actually is the more powerfull beetwen the toyota altis and the honda civic. But i am not sure about the resell value. They told me that mazda are not so popular here in thailand.

I was thinking to buy the 2.0 S sport becose of xenon light in particular, but i am not sure about the 18 wheels, of course they look very nice but at the same time some road here are not so good and maybe with the 18 whells you will lose something in terms of comfort.

do you have any suggestion?

who told you mazda is not popular here? The guy trying to sell you an altis lol.

My wife owns a Mazda 3 for the past 5 years and we find it a very good car. I would recommend it. But I would never buy a used car in this country. You never know what you are getting. Also Madza service is very good.

• Like 1

My 2014 SP20 Hatch (top spec model) from intial deposit to its arrival is supposed to be 3 weeks (did the finance papers last week).

20% down, 2.4% interest over 48 months through Tisco.

The usual freebies, insurance is extra.

A superb alternative to a Honda City, should upset Hondas Sales a bit. My LIKES ...Everything about it exept Brain Dead Black, Hatcback Model and that Display Ting.thumbsup.gif .

How ever will I sleep at night knowing you do not like my shiney new black hatch.

A superb alternative to a Honda City, should upset Hondas Sales a bit. My LIKES ...Everything about it exept Brain Dead Black, Hatcback Model and that Display Ting.thumbsup.gif .

How ever will I sleep at night knowing you do not like my shiney new black hatch.

Hehe, Honda City indeed. I think Ace should read the review in the Bangkok Post about how the new Mazda 3 compares with his dated Civic. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Very Well, much better in many ways, can't argue with that,but the Hatch looks like the Hoons Civic of yesteryear. The Saloon has a Touch of Class about it somehow ,the Hatch somehow Screams Spotty Yob and reversed Baseball Cap. But if the Cap Fits............

spotty yob with a reversed cap.....the though of that makes me feel 20 years younger !!!

I actually chose the hatch over the sedan due to the extra load space. I have 6 10 inch subs to fit and the Hatch will allow this and still have room for a few bags of groceries.

• Like 1

Today i went to the mazda dealer near pattaya.

I have finally a look of the new mazda 3 and is really really nice. So i decide to get one.

I am not sure yet if take the sedan or the hathcback, actually i prefert the hatchback, but they told me thai pepole prefer sedan cars, so for the future maybe will be more is to resell it.

Actually they cannot give me discont, but they can give 1 class insurance, free registration and a cople of other usuall things

Hehe, Honda City indeed. I think Ace should read the review in the Bangkok Post about how the new Mazda 3 compares with his dated Civic. rolleyes.gif

No one with a passion for cars would buy a Civic. Dull, dated and cramped.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

No one with a passion for cars would buy a Civic. Dull, dated and cramped.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Honestly, in that C segment, of the Jap brands, Civic was the best car for a "car guy" in the past few years since the change. Everyone knows that the "most fun to drive" mainstream cars of the Japanese are the Mazda, and then the Honda.

People who think of cars as appliances buy Toyota and people who think of cars as very ugly appliances buy Nissan (in Thailand). Strangely, Nissan has some stylish cars in the US, but not here.

My wife owns a Mazda 3 for the past 5 years and we find it a very good car. I would recommend it. But I would never buy a used car in this country. You never know what you are getting. Also Madza service is very good.

I agree, i would never buy a used car in Thailand, especially with it's crazy second hand car prices.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Today i went to the mazda dealer near pattaya.

I have finally a look of the new mazda 3 and is really really nice. So i decide to get one.

I am not sure yet if take the sedan or the hathcback, actually i prefert the hatchback, but they told me thai pepole prefer sedan cars, so for the future maybe will be more is to resell it.

Actually they cannot give me discont, but they can give 1 class insurance, free registration and a cople of other usuall things

You should wait if you can for the next car show you get a lot more options than from that dealer in Pattaya.

Honestly, in that C segment, of the Jap brands, Civic was the best car for a "car guy" in the past few years since the change. Everyone knows that the "most fun to drive" mainstream cars of the Japanese are the Mazda, and then the Honda.

People who think of cars as appliances buy Toyota and people who think of cars as very ugly appliances buy Nissan (in Thailand). Strangely, Nissan has some stylish cars in the US, but not here.

The Focus/Mazda 3 are better in every department.

The Focus/Mazda 3 are better in every department.