I'm confused. I just realized how late I came to the internet TV party

Neilcnx

I'd like to toss True. So my research has led me to Jsat; TOT with xbmc and IPTV - all at different prices. I find that I am confused. For example, muratremix explained that he can get everything he wants in English with a practically free TOT box and additional programs but I have no idea how to decipher what he's saying.

I'd like to be able to watch snooker, UFC, american football, baseball and nature stuff like discovery and nat geo on my TV. If there's a decent movie available when no sports programming is on, that's ok. But I'm otherwise happy to watch TV shows and movies on my computer.

I live in Chiang Mai and my wi-fi connection speed is usually around 10.

Just like Denzel Washington said in Philadelphia, can someone explain this to me like I'm in 3rd grade?

Edited by Neilcnx

Check out ilikeHD ,all the channels you could want ,some of them are in Thai,

but they have plenty of English stuff to,you can use their app. on Mac,PC and Android,

for 200bht pm. its the best value around,by far.

if you PM me your email i can send you an invite, plus give you more apps so you

can watch movies,documentaries,sports,etc etc, all for free,Personally i don't like

XBMC, to clunky for me,i just save the sites in speed dial and one click and I am there.

Regards Worgeordie

I would be interested to know more about this service. My email is part of my profile. Thanks.

just logged into the ilikehd site and it seems pretty good, tells you how to transfer money and that you need money, but doesn't tell you how much for a subscription or anything else... pity... and pity there is no trial... the free channels say not from ilikehd and are outside their control, so not much of a trial or show there...

oh well...

For those wanting uktv, there is another service that is very good... google thai expat tv ... good service too... not (imo) expensive..

i recently signed up for a true promotion- 10mbs/1 internet + Truevisions for 900 baht a month ( and I had to pay 1000B deposit for the truevisions box, the truevisions is called 'Sport' it includes several movie channels but not all of them, but enough for me, and I get most of the sports channels, I get no english news though-BBC World is blocked so if i want tv news i have to watch aljazeera off the internet(since they stream for free) i don't even get channel news asia or cnn.. but it's still a good deal considering I used to pay that much just for the internet..prior to this i had 'happyhome' cable tv, it wasn't bad and it was only 100baht a month, since it was only 100b a month and it included channels like bbc world and the local Thai channels like (7) and (3) actually look better on cheapcable than they do on truevisions, on truevisions only the HD channels look good the rest look pretty crappy but there is no static.. anyways, couldn't have both since they both use the coaxial cable, the tech from true had to go into the hall closet and switch to the truecable.. the internet continues to come in through twisted pair adsl wire..

alot of the stuff on cable can now be found somewhere free or cheap on the internet but i find i prefer to just have a normal tv remote to browse the channels..

Check out ilikeHD ,all the channels you could want ,some of them are in Thai,

but they have plenty of English stuff to,you can use their app. on Mac,PC and Android,

for 200bht pm. its the best value around,by far.

if you PM me your email i can send you an invite, plus give you more apps so you

can watch movies,documentaries,sports,etc etc, all for free,Personally i don't like

XBMC, to clunky for me,i just save the sites in speed dial and one click and I am there.

Regards Worgeordie

I seem to be a bit confused too.I'm not really up on these modern things,but I think you're saying that you can watch a movie for 200bt per minute------ 200BT/MINUTE!!!.At say 90 min movie will cost------------18000 bt!!!!!!!

OK no, I have got something wrong herecheesy.gif And that's the "best value around by far"??????

Go to Thaiexpattv and try their two day trail. It is instant and you can start watching English TV immediately. It is also fool proof. It gives you seven days catch up which is required because of the time difference with the UK. The same channels can be watched for free on the internet but is streamed from the UK and so is unwatchable at times because of internet traffic and poor international connection. Thai Expat TV uses a Thai server and is buffer free enabling one to watch at anytime for a small monthly sum. TRY THE 2 DAY FREE TRAIL.

• 1 month later...

Go to Thaiexpattv and try their two day trail. It is instant and you can start watching English TV immediately. It is also fool proof. It gives you seven days catch up which is required because of the time difference with the UK. The same channels can be watched for free on the internet but is streamed from the UK and so is unwatchable at times because of internet traffic and poor international connection. Thai Expat TV uses a Thai server and is buffer free enabling one to watch at anytime for a small monthly sum. TRY THE 2 DAY FREE TRAIL.

I want to try, and started the process to sign in for the free trial. BUT reading the "Terms & Conditions" of ThaiexpatTV indicated that I was signing away all of my rights to privacy. Happy to join, but need to know that all of my details will never be passed on to a 3rd party, and will be kept only in encrypted form by ThaiexpatTV.

My interpretation of the T&C suggested that these fundamental requirements are not part of the deal. I would love to be proved wrong, and will happily join up at that point and will also feel OK about encouraging others to join. I cannot in good conscience suggest to others that they join unless I know that their info is totally safe and private.

I want to try, and started the process to sign in for the free trial. BUT reading the "Terms & Conditions" of ThaiexpatTV indicated that I was signing away all of my rights to privacy.

Happy to join, but need to know that all of my details will never be passed on to a 3rd party, and will be kept only in encrypted form by ThaiexpatTV.

My interpretation of the T&C suggested that these fundamental requirements are not part of the deal. I would love to be proved wrong, and will happily join up at that point and will also feel OK about encouraging others to join. I cannot in good conscience suggest to others that they join unless I know that their info is totally safe and private.

I believe your concern is truly misplaced.

Given the ongoing breaches and lapses of client data on big corporate servers

...your information is already out there.

Well, no it isn't. I have never been caught up in the various scandals and lapses surrounding Hotmail & other corporations. (Just a tip - check GMX mail if you value privacy).

Even if I had been "exposed", do you really believe that since my personal details are "out there" I should just give up and let anyone else now have my details? It's like saying "Since you're already drunk, you can have another couple of beers".

I am careful about security, and prefer to use companies that have practices in place that prevent my details being added to 3rd party databases. I do not allow cookies on my computer from 3rd party advertisers. I do not open mail whose origin I don't recognise. I use a complicated (for others) variety of passwords for various sites. I think I have been reasonably successful to date.

More to the point, why doesn't Thaiexpat TV have strict policies and procedures that ensure privacy?

UK TV that cost nothing =

www.itv.com/itvplayer/

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live just been watching the News Live.

almost everything you would ever wish to watch is out there somewhere free, just need to spend a little time to search and add to Bookmarks, so next time is just 2 clicks away.

Sorry had loads of set top boxes over the years, after a few months need some new software, or gone off air, or some other thing that need you to buy yet another new box, or some service/upgrade.. if a web program vanished simple just go to search and find another, No sending box back to be flashed or trying to work out how to download the new flash/image..

If you use Chrome with the Free app ZenMate a simple click shows you as being in UK [needed for the above 2 links] or many other places.. another app is Sky Sports all free

As yet no one has told me what these IPTV boxes will do better ? + cost up to around 14,000 baht !! then x thousand per year. an old PC or laptop + a HDMI cable to TV, so get all that are in HD, don't know but has done me OK for past 2 years, and a lot easier than setting the big Move dish to another Sat and re searching for program's that are there one day and gone the next.

I do keep looking at these IPTV boxes, so far the best appears to be from Jsat as NO monthly or yearly fees and box is almost 1/2 what some others charge.

Edited by ignis
  • Like 2

>As yet no one has told me what these IPTV boxes will do better ? + cost up to around 14,000 baht !!

You can buy IPTV boxes/HDMI sticks in any IT mall from as little as 1500THB. Most run free Android and, as you say, there are loads of options from then on to watch free IPTV, albeit usually not as clear as a Thai based play on demand type expat service. No need to have a bulky old laptop wired into your TV set these days.

Edited by Digitalbanana

>As yet no one has told me what these IPTV boxes will do better ? + cost up to around 14,000 baht !!

You can buy IPTV boxes/HDMI sticks in any IT mall from as little as 1500THB. Most run free Android and, as you say, there are loads of options from then on to watch free IPTV, albeit usually not as clear as a Thai based play on demand type expat service. No need to have a bulky old laptop wired into your TV set these days.

Thanks, will have a look...

My old bulky Sony Hi end in its day laptop, [bought in UK Aug 2002] screen went about 2+ years ago, plugging into TV worked so getting IPTV sort a went from there... Laptop is about 12 years old and very slow so will not last that much longer = why looking at these IPTV boxes

Edit: March 2004 bought a MOVE dish System = free TV from around the world, just thought it would be a 1 off thing, sadly always appeared to be Sats gone off air, new boxes needed, upgrades to dish, return boxes for upgrades etc, new type of boxes needed.... end of 2011 worked out spent somewhere between 90 - 100,000 baht !!! so a little weary of buying yet more boxes that will last how long ? need upgrading constantly ?

Edited by ignis