Final questions before coming to thailand next week

orcasmarx

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading this very interesting forum since about a month mainly because I'm planing to visit Bangkok (and Pattaya or Phuket) for 30 days in June/July. I now live in Nha Trang Vietnam since 3 years — I stayed before in Dalat for 1 year. Two beautiful cities in an amazing country. My reply is mainly concerning the cost of living. I am very surprised with what I read concerning Thailand in general. I sometime try to understand why people would choose a retirement country more than another. I always keep an open mind about this because at times I ask myself if I should maybe go to another place. This topic (like many others similar), keeps confirming me that Vietnam is for me. Every time my visa is due for renewal, I like to go and visit another Asian country for a short time. It will be my first time in Thailand. Let's compare a few things you are all familiar with in Thailand:

VISA: Here in Vietnam, the single-entry 3-month visa-on-arrival (by air) is about $65; the 2nd 3-month (available in about any travel agencies around the country) is $48; the 3rd 3-month, $64. Total for 9 months (maximum stay before having to do a visa-run or take a vacation) is $177. If I then do a quick same-day return trip to Phnom Penh (where I also spent some times before), I come back with another 3-month visa for $200 (it is possible also to get a 6-month in PP) (including all the traveling expenses), etc. Average monthly cost: $35. (Here is why I'm not considering to move to Cambodia (http://www.khmer440.com/k/2013/12/7-ways-cambodia-can-solve-its-foreign-dude-problem/#comment-38968) — I really, really love the Cambodians though)

APARTMENT: I have a 3 1/2 apartment, 500 meters from the ocean, balcony with a view on the ocean and the mountains, fresh breeze all the time, for $125 a month. My total cost for all the services (water, electricity - with a/c, cable, internet, elevator, parking, etc.) is another $75. Total $200. Three years ago I bought all the furniture new for less than $4000.

FOOD: First, I love veggies! I have meat a few times a week. I love cooking, I rarely go to restaurant… I budget NO MORE than $200. Add a little extra more for beer, 50¢, Tequila drink, $2, etc. Let's say $250.

TAXIS are cheap and they always use the meter. But 99% of the time I walk, take the bus or ride my bicycle.

GIRLS!!! Yes, I have… two! 402.gif 402.gif Since 3 years I sponsors these two beautiful young sisters through university — I've known them since 2009. The youngest (20) lives on the campus in Saigon (3 more years to go), the eldest (30) is still staying with me; she finishes her nursing in 3 months… and she is now my daughter-in-law — my son married her last October, and later this year she will be immigrating to Québec. Add another $500 for their food, university, boarding, and $100 for the parents.

My big monthly total living expenses: about $1000.

I hence hardly can spend my $2000 monthly government pension. Oh yes! I could if I wanted to. But this is my way of life. I love saying it is my 8th winter without snow.

MEDICAL: Although I look 55 whistling.gif, I will be 70 next November and I have a very good health. I walk at least 10km a day. I accumulated enough savings for emergencies.

Before, I have been 12 months in the Philippines (cheap, poor, but way too much bothering prostitution) and 6 months in Malaysia (a bit boring).

Besides Asia, even before, I also lived 3 years in Latin America: Antigua, Guatemala (I'm missing the marimba) and San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (I'm missing the Mariachis) All that music was live on the streets everywhere all weekend long. Such culture is missing a lot in all Asia. It's too bad.

That is why, now, I can say with certitude how much I love Vietnam. It is not totally perfect yet, but I'm working on it… !!! wai2.gif Tạm biệt!

That is really a nice post advertising Vietnam over Thailand. But what does it have to do with the OP? Why not move it to the "Vietnam is better than Thailand" forum?

what an interesting read,- about vietnam,- totaslly irrelevent (i wonder if some peoiple ever read these posts ha ha), ok i live in england my rent is £425 a month (1 bed flat) poll tax £77 mercedes convertible (just had to say that ) honda fireblade (same ) £160 month oh the list goes on i wont bore you. now can you see why i want to move ha ha, i didnt mention water rates -rubbish collection-sat/tv electricity.phone- DAM i just did : anyhow thanks for all the interesting posts on here KC

N.P.R. had a story..《can find it NPR..all things considered..04032014》about the credit cards, or debit..the card in Europe and everywhere else have the new chip, which generates a new pin every time, eliminating fraud. That's why fraudsters pick on u.s. cards. So the machine at Bangkok bank, that reads my card is the old style magnetic stripe..the new chip is the way to go, no tin wallet necessary..Thais know a thing or two about fraud.

aloha, gotta charge this thing..

I am reading this very interesting forum since about a month mainly because I'm planing to visit Bangkok (and Pattaya or Phuket) for 30 days in June/July. I now live in Nha Trang Vietnam since 3 years I stayed before in Dalat for 1 year. Two beautiful cities in an amazing country. My reply is mainly concerning the cost of living. I am very surprised with what I read concerning Thailand in general. I sometime try to understand why people would choose a retirement country more than another. I always keep an open mind about this because at times I ask myself if I should maybe go to another place. This topic (like many others similar), keeps confirming me that Vietnam is for me. Every time my visa is due for renewal, I like to go and visit another Asian country for a short time. It will be my first time in Thailand. Let's compare a few things you are all familiar with in Thailand:

VISA: Here in Vietnam, the single-entry 3-month visa-on-arrival (by air) is about $65; the 2nd 3-month (available in about any travel agencies around the country) is $48; the 3rd 3-month, $64. Total for 9 months (maximum stay before having to do a visa-run or take a vacation) is $177. If I then do a quick same-day return trip to Phnom Penh (where I also spent some times before), I come back with another 3-month visa for $200 (it is possible also to get a 6-month in PP) (including all the traveling expenses), etc. Average monthly cost: $35. (Here is why I'm not considering to move to Cambodia (http://www.khmer440.com/k/2013/12/7-ways-cambodia-can-solve-its-foreign-dude-problem/#comment-38968) I really, really love the Cambodians though)

APARTMENT: I have a 3 1/2 apartment, 500 meters from the ocean, balcony with a view on the ocean and the mountains, fresh breeze all the time, for $125 a month. My total cost for all the services (water, electricity - with a/c, cable, internet, elevator, parking, etc.) is another $75. Total $200. Three years ago I bought all the furniture new for less than $4000.

FOOD: First, I love veggies! I have meat a few times a week. I love cooking, I rarely go to restaurant I budget NO MORE than $200. Add a little extra more for beer, 50¢, Tequila drink, $2, etc. Let's say $250.

TAXIS are cheap and they always use the meter. But 99% of the time I walk, take the bus or ride my bicycle.

GIRLS!!! Yes, I have two! 402.gif 402.gif Since 3 years I sponsors these two beautiful young sisters through university I've known them since 2009. The youngest (20) lives on the campus in Saigon (3 more years to go), the eldest (30) is still staying with me; she finishes her nursing in 3 months and she is now my daughter-in-law my son married her last October, and later this year she will be immigrating to Québec. Add another $500 for their food, university, boarding, and $100 for the parents.

My big monthly total living expenses: about $1000.

I hence hardly can spend my $2000 monthly government pension. Oh yes! I could if I wanted to. But this is my way of life. I love saying it is my 8th winter without snow.

MEDICAL: Although I look 55 whistling.gif, I will be 70 next November and I have a very good health. I walk at least 10km a day. I accumulated enough savings for emergencies.

Before, I have been 12 months in the Philippines (cheap, poor, but way too much bothering prostitution) and 6 months in Malaysia (a bit boring).

Besides Asia, even before, I also lived 3 years in Latin America: Antigua, Guatemala (I'm missing the marimba) and San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (I'm missing the Mariachis) All that music was live on the streets everywhere all weekend long. Such culture is missing a lot in all Asia. It's too bad.

That is why, now, I can say with certitude how much I love Vietnam. It is not totally perfect yet, but I'm working on it !!! wai2.gif Tạm biệt!

Yes, Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand, but dont know how this is helping the OP. I lived in Thailand for about 1 year and then traveled there frequently for an office we opened for our company. Vietnam it not bad, but it's no Thailand. I prefer Thailand. The girls are not as friendly in Vietnam as in Thailand. I found Vietnam boring after about 4 months. But each to their own.

OP I would try and get a 1 year B visa from one of the consultants in the US before you leave. When I first moved to Thailand I was able to get one. I believe the cost was around $150 for a Multi B. I sent my passport a check and a letter saying I was moving to Thailand to work. Nowadays it might be harder as that was about 20 years ago, but you can try. Maybe contact a English school in Thailand that is looking for help and get them to provide you a letter saying they will give you a job when you come the Thailand. Good luck to you!

If I was you I would sign up to get a FairFX card and load it with a few thousand dollars before you go .

You can then use it as a credit card or draw out cash at an ATM .

It works out cheaper than using a card from home and you will not be charged for drawing out cash or purchasing anything else with it from your bank.

FairFx takes about 150 Bht per transaction

You can also top up your card on line from your bank and they will not charge you for it.

Hope this helps

What's this crap!

Open a saving account & get a debit card... at, Kasikorn or the blue bank (forget the name but Thailand being so superficial to least, just look at the color). After situated or visa sorted, BK bank.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand