Are There Any Bluegrass Or Celtic Jam Sessions In Cm?

helitool

I will be moving from the US to CM in another few months and the only thing I will miss are the weekly bluegrass jam sessions that I attend here in the States. Are there any similar groups in CM that I would be able to sit in on? I play most 4 string instruments (mandolin, banjo, tenor guitar etc.)

I am fluent in both northern and central Thai so the other instrumentalists don't have to be english speaking.

I will be moving from the US to CM in another few months and the only thing I will miss are the weekly bluegrass jam sessions that I attend here in the States. Are there any similar groups in CM that I would be able to sit in on? I play most 4 string instruments (mandolin, banjo, tenor guitar etc.)

I am fluent in both northern and central Thai so the other instrumentalists don't have to be english speaking.

Used to be a place on the inside of the moat, just across the side street from the HHH [Hash House Harriers] Don't know if its still there or not, but its worth a try.

I know both places mentioned above well. The place by HHH is now called Jai Yen Cafe. They used to have bluegrass there but haven't for some time. Right now, I play there on Tuesdays with some friends but it's all pop/rock covers & some original music as well. I also occasionally play at Guitar Man & used to be a regular there. Some fun jams but definitely not bluegrass.

My recommendation, especially if you speak northern Thai, is to go to Ban Rai Yarm Yen, a big Lanna style restaurant near the river. The owner is a friend of mine & also guitarist/singer with the band. They play what is basically Lanna style bluegrass. All great musicians & the only place in Chiang Mai I've seen dobro, mandolin, & double bass (along with guitar, banjo, flute, etc.) . They don't have an open jam there but if you talk to these guys, & they're very friendly, they should be able to help you find something. Shows start around 730 nightly but the full band doesn't get going til 9 or 10.

Let me know if you want more details. Good luck, and glad you're coming - one thing I was surprised to find here but really love is the open, diverse music scene.

Thanks for the input, guys! I asked my wife about "guitar man" and she said that it is just down the street from her sister's house where we will be staying until our house is built. I am glad to hear that there are at least a couple of other mando and banjo players around town.

• 1 year later...

Hi Ray,

Very late reply...but still.

We have a folkie session at The Garden restaurant every Tuesday night 8 pm. Mainly US and British folk. You're more than welcome.

I play celtic on button accordeon, but it's mainly a couple of singers, 5 or 6 musos and a few afficianados. Mando, banjo several guitars, flute and me mainly.

On Wed evening, same place 8.30 pm we do a 1 hour traditional British folk stand between blues groups [The Watermen], with accordeon, mando guitar banjo & whistle.

The Garden (there are several by that name in town) is in the middle of the old city, 139 Ratchadamnoen Rd almost next door to the Writer's Club. {URL snipped}

All musos singers & listeners are welcome!

Paul

Edited by mcgriffith
URL removed per forum rules

Hi Ray,

Very late reply...but still.

We have a folkie session at The Garden restaurant every Tuesday night 8 pm. Mainly US and British folk. You're more than welcome.

I play celtic on button accordeon, but it's mainly a couple of singers, 5 or 6 musos and a few afficianados. Mando, banjo several guitars, flute and me mainly.

On Wed evening, same place 8.30 pm we do a 1 hour traditional British folk stand between blues groups [The Watermen], with accordeon, mando guitar banjo & whistle.

The Garden (there are several by that name in town) is in the middle of the old city, 139 Ratchadamnoen Rd almost next door to the Writer's Club. {URL snipped}

All musos singers & listeners are welcome!

Paul

Paul, despite being saddled with British roots and an education, was able to play in perfectly on all our bluegrass numbers last night at my place, along with people on guitars, banjo, and mandolin. We are going to make him an honorary Appalachian tobacco farmer. I think it was the 'shine' that loosened him up.

Someone told me this morning that we had half the building stompin' and spittin' to the beat! Bill Monroe was turning over in his grave. :o

Can you be more specific as to to location please.

Get on the main road to San Pee Seua. (It starts very close to the east bank of the river, immediately north of the superhighway bridge between Tesco Lotus & the Mae Jo road). Head upriver & after about 100-150 meters turn right - there's a big sign for Ban Rai Yarm Yen at the corner of the soi. I think the sign is in English as well as Thai. The restaurant is another 100 meters or so down the soi to the left.

Can you be more specific as to to location please.

Get on the main road to San Pee Seua. (It starts very close to the east bank of the river, immediately north of the superhighway bridge between Tesco Lotus & the Mae Jo road). Head upriver & after about 100-150 meters turn right - there's a big sign for Ban Rai Yarm Yen at the corner of the soi. I think the sign is in English as well as Thai. The restaurant is another 100 meters or so down the soi to the left.

Excellent. Thanks pal. I'll hunt it out next week.

• 3 years later...

This is incredibly out of date, but just in case someone stumbles past this posting again:

As of summer 2010, Tim at The Garden on Ratchadamnoen Rd still has people over on Tuesday nights for a song circle. Some bluegrass tunes get played there. Tim wants to keep the focus on American folk music, but they wind up playing whatever everyone feels like playing. Tim is incredibly nice, absolutely hysterical, and very accommodating to whoever wants to join in. Looks like it's been going for over 3 years now. Check it out, it's always a nice atmosphere.

There is also a band that plays Irish-Scots trad music over at the UN Irish Pub. I never got to see them play, but I got a list of their tunes. Lots of hornpipes. reels, and jigs. I hear they do a few songs as well. It's not a session though, it's a band with fixed arrangements (nothing wrong with that). They have their practice, then do the show at the UN Pub once a month. There's a flute player, guitarist, button accordion, bodhran, and a fiddle player. All players live in Chiang Mai.

Edited by timmyp