Old but deadly 500-pound World War II bomb found in Chonburi

webfact

An example of Shrapnel from AZON (first guided bomb) found near Hell Fire Pass (dropped by allied bombers on 3 tier bridge sometime late 1944) You can imagine the effect this chunk of burning hot metal would have travelling through the human body. Perhaps it's time to start educating everyone here about these UXB's with a campaign much like they use in Laos and Vietnam?

May be there are more important risks that Thais need educating about first...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So far four 500-pound bombs of World War II had been discovered during the past 20 years. The finding in Chonburi is the fifth bomb to be discovered."

Mai kao jai.

Strange that of the 4 or 5 in 20 years, 2 have been uneartherd in the last week.

Not strange at all.

Drought alway follows a cold winter in Thailand. This winter was the coldest on record. It follows that water levels in dams and ponds in the lowest it has ever been. These bombs were not unearthed, they have been hidden below the surface of water for decades...and now, because the water has dropped, they have been discovered.

Only in Thailand...can any identify any other country in the world were officials approach a live bomb wearing baseball caps...

Hardly explains the ironic outcome that another turns up just in time.

They haven't all forgotten WWII. My wife's grandfather will gladly tell you about fighting the Japanese in WWII. I don't believe he was Army in the first place (hard to get the exact translation), that would make him what used to be called a guerrilla, now days a terrorist. A few years back he was one of 2 still alive in Udon Provence that refused to lay down arms. Born in 1921 he is a walking history book. I tried to make the wife understand the need to record his history, she said "everybody has heard and is tired of listening", damn!

• Like 2

"So far four 500-pound bombs of World War II had been discovered during the past 20 years. The finding in Chonburi is the fifth bomb to be discovered."

Mai kao jai.

Strange that of the 4 or 5 in 20 years, 2 have been uneartherd in the last week.

ah, they've just become fashionable now. i expect the next gogo bar in LK metro will be called 'DA BOMB' and plump 30+ girls dressed in bomb disposal suits will wobble around a rusty casing hanging above the stage.......

Edited by tomyumchai

An example of Shrapnel from AZON (first guided bomb) found near Hell Fire Pass (dropped by allied bombers on 3 tier bridge sometime late 1944) You can imagine the effect this chunk of burning hot metal would have travelling through the human body. Perhaps it's time to start educating everyone here about these UXB's with a campaign much like they use in Laos and Vietnam?

It's not shrapnel, it is a fragment of a bomb casing.

• Like 1

If it's been sat in a pond for as long as the pond has been there, one would assume it would have been spotted well before now.

And an explosive radius - which I assume is what is meant by the destructive power measure - of 500 metres seems well beyond what I should have expected. A quick check online suggests closer to 100.

Agree those numbers aren't right. 500 meters is the approximate evacuation distance for a 500 lb bomb. Around 60 meters for the fatal radius.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Fragments of the casing can travel for up to a 1000 metres or more so you don't want to be in the open.

I does not look like a bomb to me, also it does not look like it has been in the ground or in water for 70 years.

Ergo - they must be lying?

Maybe the Basil B, should take a trip to the site, and beat the thing with a hammer, and possible take his oxy kit with him and cut into it, them come back on TV and tell us how he got on.....whistling.gif

• Like 1

If it's been sat in a pond for as long as the pond has been there, one would assume it would have been spotted well before now.

And an explosive radius - which I assume is what is meant by the destructive power measure - of 500 metres seems well beyond what I should have expected. A quick check online suggests closer to 100.

Agree those numbers aren't right. 500 meters is the approximate evacuation distance for a 500 lb bomb. Around 60 meters for the fatal radius.

Tywais...the jpg you posted is correct for the damage radius upon impact with ground when first dropped.

For clearing UXO's...say a 500 pounder/250kilos...one clears a radius of 1000 meters around the site

if the old bomb/device is to be blown 'in situ". It is not the blast radius that only causes damage to

property and humans it's the shrapnel...aka blown apart bomb casing pieces...that are a hazard out to

a minimum of 1 kilometer. Even at 1000 meters away from the detonation a piece of bomb casing

may not cause death but is sure as heck can ruin somebody's day. If found within a city then clearing

that distance may be impossible so other measures (sheilding) are employed to some effect that is

usually pretty good although not always 100% spot on.

While filming the work of HALO Trust in Cambodia back in the latter part of the 90's, an exclusion and

evacuation zone of 2.5 kilometers was set & enforced after an old 2000 pounder was found and eventually

detonated in situ. The radius was set not just because of blast...at 2.5 Km's one wouldn't even feel it, but

because...even after sandbagging the old bomb with multiple layers...the shrapnel still poses a nasty threat

out to that distance. Just think of catching a baseball with your head after say...Mickey Mantle smacked

a grand slam down between centerfield and the third base line...it has popped into and out of a few folks

in the grandstands hands then onto your head because the sun was in your eyes...not lethal at that distance

perhaps but that ball may make a believer outta you!

When clearing UXO's anywhere, the "safe" radius used always exceeds the main blast & stated lethality

ranges of the device found. By how much depends upon the EOD agency dealing with the UXO.

• Like 2

Mai kao jai.

this is the 3rd, isn't it?

It was mentioned how some contemporary Thais seem ignorant of the historical activities of the Japanese occupation of Thailand during WW II. In my wife's village just outside of Udon Thani, the old timers are well aware of the time a Jap Zero took off from Udon Thani air field, which was converted by the Japanese, and crashed into a coconut tree after developing engine trouble.The pilot died at the scene. Another family member revealed that he had worked on the Udon Thani air base doing maintenance for the Japanese during WW II.

While I was stationed at Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base as a USAF photographer in 1968, the old Japanese control tower and one of the hangers still remained.

Edited by Tonawatchee

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Caption Competition time

"Pass me that hammer Somchai"...

"Should get a few baht for this one...where's that scrapyard again?"

"No, I'm telling you, it's a giant 'ammer 'ead mate. Werff a small fortune that is" To be read with a cockney accent.

The 500 pounder found in the pond should be relatively easy to

remedy. Just place 3 PE4/C4 (same stuff) blocks on the old bomb,

sandbag said bomb completely with a few layers of bags, clear the

surrounding area of inhabitants by at least 1000 meters and detonate

the charges. Big bang, bunch of water & sand tossed about, pond

gets a new dimension added to it...everybody gets a show and it's

all over.

A few layers of sandbags would have zero effect on blast or fragmentation safety distance. You would be looking at in excess of to 2.0m of sandbags or earth to significantly affect blast and fragmentation distances.

• Like 1

Nice to see they have approached the bomb with caution, wearing the full bomb disposal safety gear, clearly they are on the ball.

Approaching unexploded ordnance (UXO) of any size, let alone a 500lb General Purpose Bomb, in an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) suit (like what you may have seen in "Hurt Locker") would make zero difference to the life expectancy of the EOD Technicians approaching the item.

Uneducated and disparaging remarks such as this do not help the matter. Clearly you are not a technical advisor and are not in a position to make comment on the operating procedures of the Thai EOD Team responding to the incident.

*edit spelling mistake.

Edited by SpankTheLing

Not in a million years would I stand at 100m for a 500lb General Purpose (GP) Bomb being destroyed on the surface.

For those interested in actual Safety Distance Calculations:

500lb General Purpose Bomb :

Fragmenting munitions when public access is possible to the demolition range area: 1592m

Using the All Up Weight (AUW) of 250kg.

http://www.un.org/disarmament/un-saferguard/explosion-danger-area/

International Ammunition Technical Guideline (IATG) 0.18 formulae for ammunition management.

Distance = 634(AUW)1/6

For a 500lb General Purpose Bomb which has been deemed safe to move into a pit, the pit would be need to be at least 2.0m in depth and tamped to reduce the safety distance to a minimum of 800m. Obviously the deeper the pit, the greater the degree of safety to persons and public property.

• Like 1

Mai kao jai.

Wondered who would be the 1st to try to have a dig at journalism...it's so simple, 4 bombs had been found before the Chonburi one making it 5 in all. Go and get a calculator, it may help.

"So far", not "previously". "So far" brings us to the present, and in the present, 5 have been found.

Never mind, I can see your point too.

Tywais...the jpg you posted is correct for the damage radius upon impact with ground when first dropped.

For clearing UXO's...say a 500 pounder/250kilos...one clears a radius of 1000 meters around the site

if the old bomb/device is to be blown 'in situ". It is not the blast radius that only causes damage to

property and humans it's the shrapnel...aka blown apart bomb casing pieces...that are a hazard out to

a minimum of 1 kilometer.

I have first hand experience of what the impact is like of a large bomb blast. May have posted this experience before a few years ago.

While I was stationed at Utapao in 1968 there was an 'incident'. I was living off base near Ban Chang in a small Thai village a few kilometers from the base. Was taking a shower and heard an explosion than another one a minute or so after. Put my sarong on, yes I went native, and went outside and several villagers were out wondering what was up. Another couple of explosions and it sounded similar to mortar fire 'stepping' through the jungle and was coming from the direction of the base. Was standing there looking toward the base when a massive fire ball started rising in the air. It was so huge that I was craning my neck looking up at it. It looked like the fire mushroom you would see from a nuclear explosion and went up several hundred meters in the air.

That was the first time I felt my own mortality and was certain it was all over, can remember even now thinking that to myself. Several seconds later the shock wave hit and nearly knocked me off my feet. The windows of the house (on stilts) shattered and the concrete columns cracked. That snapped me out of it as I was still alive and the villagers were panicking and asking what to do. I told them to get into the ditches and I proceeded to get dressed and flag down a baht bus to get back to base.

The base was on red alert and every base in Thailand went on yellow alert as it wasn't clear what had happened. Working in the communications center I had privy of information coming in. Ended up that a 750 lb bomb casing was penetrated by a fork lift operator by accident. It set the internal delay fused timer off so he was able to clear out and clear the area. It went off then it in turn set off the timer of another one that was still outside the storage bunker, than another one, thus the initial explosions I heard. It finally set off an entire stock pile of 10-15 750 lb bombs at once, and was the fireball I saw.

Damage was done as far as 6-10 kilometers away with the roof of a movie theater near Rayong had collapsed. Several buildings near the bunker on base were nearly destroyed and one airman with ear damage, so very lucky. The barracks several hundred meters away were intact as were most buildings on base.

So, to me being 500-1000 meters away from a single tiny 500 lb bomb (270 lb explosives) is a non issue. biggrin.png

• Like 2

My Thai friend said to me " I didn't realize that there had been ELEVEN world wars"!!!! (WW11) What idiots, only Thai people cannot recognise a bomb!clap2.gif

Can't say I'm surprised.

Not knowing it was a bomb is no excuse. If there is even a 1% chance that it could be a bomb, you don't open it.

Ended up that a 750 lb bomb casing was penetrated by a fork lift operator by accident. It set the internal delay fused timer off so he was able to clear out and clear the area. It went off then it in turn set off the timer of another one that was still outside the storage bunker, than another one, thus the initial explosions I heard. It finally set off an entire stock pile of 10-15 750 lb bombs at once, and was the fireball I saw.

Damage was done as far as 6-10 kilometers away with the roof of a movie theater near Rayong had collapsed. Several buildings near the bunker on base were nearly destroyed and one airman with ear damage, so very lucky. The barracks several hundred meters away were intact as were most buildings on base.

So, to me being 500-1000 meters away from a single tiny 500 lb bomb (270 lb explosives) is a non issue. biggrin.png

Absolute rubbish. Ever seen a 750lb casing? What was the fusing of the M117? "Internal delay fused timer"? He managed to "clear the area"?

The amount of armchair experts here amazes me.

Ended up that a 750 lb bomb casing was penetrated by a fork lift operator by accident. It set the internal delay fused timer off so he was able to clear out and clear the area. It went off then it in turn set off the timer of another one that was still outside the storage bunker, than another one, thus the initial explosions I heard. It finally set off an entire stock pile of 10-15 750 lb bombs at once, and was the fireball I saw.

Absolute rubbish. Ever seen a 750lb casing? What was the fusing of the M117? "Internal delay fused timer"? He managed to "clear the area"?

The amount of armchair experts here amazes me.

Nothing armchair about this, I was there you weren't. I read the classified reports as they came in, you didn't. I've seen the 750s loaded onto the B-52s and brought in from the Sattihip deep water port.