The Leather on Those Golf Gloves Might Come From a Stolen Pet in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a disgusting fact but the lovers of dog & cat meat believe it tastes better if it has been tortured before or while it is being killed. That is why the real connoisseurs want them skinned while alive to improve the flavour of their gourmet meal. I am a dog & cat lover but something should be done to humanely deal with the gigantic Thai population of mangy, diseased and occasionally rabid soi dogs. A program of humane capture & humane euthenasing needs to be implemented by every local government agency in Thailand to control feral or un-owned dogs. And people need to be legally required to take responsibility for vaccinating & controlling or de-sexing their pets & guard dogs. Out in the country, too many people never take their dogs to the vet for any reason or even apply flea & tick meds. If the dog dies, Buddha was obviously not looking after it, so just go & get another one.

Every (other???) civilised country has city pounds & SPCA facilities. Unfortunately, the inconsistent Buddhist attitude to animal welfare is almost certainly at variance with this approach which necessarily must involve a "final solution" option. "We Buddhist Thais love all animals, particularly dogs & could never condone hurting or killing them." Yeah, Right!!!!!!

Even the temple dogs are frequently in a disgraceful state. There is no need or excuse for this in the light of the funds that pour into every temple and are usually amassed to build the next Buddha statue.

Serious question: Is anyone aware of any temple where The Abbott has assigned duties and a proper temple budget of caring for the dogs other than providing rice & table scraps for them? The temples my family frequents have mangy, aggressive half-starved populations of dogs. One temple, I refer to in family company as "The temple of 10,000 dogs."

The only bright spot is that dog meat can carry diseases to human consumers so for some (but not enough) of them it is "Sum Num Nah!!"

It does seem rather odd to leave one country for another which you prefer - and thereafter complain endlessly because it is not like the one you left.

Like they say, there's now't as queer as folk!

A couple of very inhumane responses above.

With all the real suffering in the world, you really expect most people to care all that much? If you feel so strongly about it go protest! Personally I fail to see the difference between gloves from other leather sources or dog, in fact if the meat were in the supermarket all nicely wrapped and cut up I for 1 would eat it. Different countries eat different things, Thais for example would be horrified to see rabbit in a butchers in the UK.

Jpeg, have a word with yourself not every post is serious.

Maybe a closer read would have more of an impact on you? Do you even try to get to the part where it says that 100 dogs can be stuffed in a cage and that they are sometimes skinned alive? Oh, right, why should we care about such suffering... it's just the way it is. Hope you don't bruise yourself on that barstool. Sincerely.

People killing each other over shirt color, child raping pedos getting locked up, bombs going off left, right and center, young boys shooting mum, dad and little brother and getting bail for pittance, the rich and powerful killing the poorer class with supercars and never doing a day in jail and poor farmers hanging themselves because they cant afford to pay back debts or feed their families. Somehow dogs are supposed to be top of my worry list???? One of us seems to have banged his head falling off his barstool, but I'm thinking maybe its you as I don't actually drink!

Well you did fall off something & bang your head if you cannot see that the appalling delibertaly cruel treatment of animals is part & parcel of a disgraceful double standard. Here, many revere the Thai Buddhist state in some "fairy tale parallel universe" while all the appalling things you mention are also going on. A country where a large portion of the population do the things you mention to their fellow family & countrymen also have no respect for the rights of dogs. I would not eat dog meat & cannot understand why the starving Indians do not eat their wandering homeless cattle. BUT, we are not talking about that. We are talking about the heartless inhumanity in the way so many of the LOS treat cats, dogs & all livestock as well as each other. THis is not a friendly, gentle, peaceful, kind, loving place for most animals & many citizens; And yes the rich & powerfully connected, can & do act with impunity. I would love to see the likes of the Merc driver who deliberately rammed the motor bike rider the other day, do 2-5 years in the Bangkok Hilton.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Well at least they might have found a use for all the diseased and useless soi dogs found everywhere throughout Thailand and with half the world starving and what must be a massive demand for golf gloves - seems they are onto a winning solution.

Next they should start on eradicating the breeders who flood the market with "cute" little puppies and the owners who buy them only to be released onto the streets when no longer "cute and cuddly".

Dog lovers and do-gooders - no response necessary.

The topic is stolen pets, not soi dogs

Correction, might come from stolen pets. - Do you see and understand the difference?

Well at least they might have found a use for all the diseased and useless soi dogs found everywhere throughout Thailand and with half the world starving and what must be a massive demand for golf gloves - seems they are onto a winning solution.

Next they should start on eradicating the breeders who flood the market with "cute" little puppies and the owners who buy them only to be released onto the streets when no longer "cute and cuddly".

Yes the dog problem is to capture the stray ones that raid un-bid garbage by lazy Thai's whom throw out UN-seperated garbage, household waste with recycle-able plastic and glass...stray Dogs dragging their new found food source around children play areas..dirty dippers...table scraps...plastic bags floating in the breeze. These dogs are on their last days..full of disease, a three legged dogs whom are the product of living too close to roadside curve... dog dropping that spot their road side dwellings... evening dog fights breaking out of guarded territories and for female mating...yes the cute puppies that no longer serve a purpose are abandoned..often the female look for the worse...yes compassion to them as they are once the bearers of the Cute and Cuddly...

Enough said...Dog lovers and tourist do gooders whom have pets at home and compare how Can I Help these poor creatures...and put their hand out in compassion will find out that WHAT they believe in compassion...surprising the tourist now shows the dog's bits .. a lasting tatto/hospitalization for the treatment of Rabbi's...education of compassion of stray dogs will highlight the "Amazing Thailand" is about... simply Amazing what you think and a dogs thoughts are....

If people looked after their pets they wouldn't get stolen. There are, from time to time, a lot of packs of dogs roaming the streets and attacking passers by. Pet owners are required by the BMA to place identification on their dogs so that the BMA, when rounding up the wild dogs, can return free roaming pets to their owners.There appears to have been a round up recently because I can now walk the streets without getting set upon by packs of dogs, who perhaps can smell the golf course on me.

IIRC last year, someone collected their dog from a rescue centre, after the thieves entered the dog owners property to steal the dog.

Half the world starving ? do you know this personally or do you have facts and figures?

I would think that using with a bit of intelligence it would be clear to most that the statement "half the world starving" is a figure of speech, meaning that a reasonable number of the worlds population is either underfeed or malnourished. If you want facts and figures go right ahead and research it yourself.

Starving because there are simply tii many people for the available resources.

surprising the tourist now shows the dog's bits .. a lasting tatto/hospitalization for the treatment of Rabbi's...

What on earth do Rabbis have to do with this? You don't like Jews or something, or do you blame them because they don't eat pork, and therefore think Rabbis eat dogs? cheesy.gif

IF YOU'RE going to post, at least try to get spelling in some way correct, and not diverge to where you don't really intend to go. thumbsup.gif

who´s gonna win the lowest level human prize?

the thais who stole and traffic with the dogs

the corrupt border officials involved

the vietnamise who pay for them

the guys of this forum who think there is nothing wrong with all this

then we have to hear that the human been it´s the more intelligent of all animals

With all the real suffering in the world, you really expect most people to care all that much? If you feel so strongly about it go protest! Personally I fail to see the difference between gloves from other leather sources or dog, in fact if the meat were in the supermarket all nicely wrapped and cut up I for 1 would eat it. Different countries eat different things, Thais for example would be horrified to see rabbit in a butchers in the UK.

Maybe a closer read would have more of an impact on you? Do you even try to get to the part where it says that 100 dogs can be stuffed in a cage and that they are sometimes skinned alive? Oh, right, why should we care about such suffering... it's just the way it is. Hope you don't bruise yourself on that barstool. Sincerely.

People killing each other over shirt color, child raping pedos getting locked up, bombs going off left, right and center, young boys shooting mum, dad and little brother and getting bail for pittance, the rich and powerful killing the poorer class with supercars and never doing a day in jail and poor farmers hanging themselves because they cant afford to pay back debts or feed their families. Somehow dogs are supposed to be top of my worry list???? One of us seems to have banged his head falling off his barstool, but I'm thinking maybe its you as I don't actually drink!

Sorry, but I didn't realise there is a limit to the sympathy, humanity, outrage, and disgust we are allowed to feel. Not sure about the metaphorical size of your heart, but I personally have no difficulty feeling outrage over the treatment of these poor animals AND the treatment of human beings in the cases you mention. I don't see why it's an either-or in your mind.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

Mahatma Gandhi

• Like 2

Finally found good use for those dogs that howl all night and cause numerous motorbike accidents including death. I do not enjoy going for a walk and having dogs baring their teeth at me or nipping at my heels. In Bali the number of dogs led to a Rabies epidemic where thousands of dogs were destroyed and the rest immunized. I enjoy a good dog and have been an owner. Sometimes a dog can be a good thing - like way in the country where they are not a nuisance to others. It is also partly dependent on the temperament of the dog. The Chinese are particularly responsible dog owners.

This is why I don't play golf, it's completely inhumane as well as boring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

it's only inhumane when you pay $120 for a box of balls and then lose half them on a new course with water magnets on every second hole!

This is why I don't play golf, it's completely inhumane as well as boring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

it's only inhumane when you pay $120 for a box of balls and then lose half them on a new course with water magnets on every second hole!

For the record, i would never knowingly buy any product produced as the result of this type of animal suffering.

Thailand also has a cat fur industry, especially white long- haired cats. It's used in toys and apparel.

I have stopped eating meat, the ethics of the cruelty involved for one, and the environmental impact raising a kilo of beef has. People are starving and we are giving cows corn so already overweight people can enjoy a steak.

Sound like Eric fart, sorry bahrt.j

You're going to get one anyway.

If you bothered to read the article you would have seen that it's not soi dogs but pets that are often taken. You might also have read about the cruelty involved which is more of an issue than the fact that they are being used for leather. I live in rural Isaan but have to go to Bangkok quite often and I just wonder where all these packs of dogs are. The largest I've seen whilst I've been here is 7 and those are mine.

I'm not sure what you mean by useless soi dogs. What do you expect dogs to do? Become street vendors, direct traffic or maybe teach people like you who can't read properly.

I do agree with you about the selling of cute puppies which although I don't know I suspect like you that many are abandoned when they are no longer cute.

A lot of these dogs are pets and maybe owned by children. A while back when one of these truck carrying dogs stuffed in cages was stopped a man came with a young girl whose dog had been stolen. She was obviously upset and I think she found her dog but many aren't so lucky. This sort of thing can be very upsetting for a child but it's OK because we can tell them that JeremyBowskill says we haven't got to worry about it.

Anyway he's worrying about child raping pedos getting locked up. Very strange.