Cigarette packaging in the UK

iamariva1957

Today on the BBC there was a story regarding the implantation of 'Plain Packaging' for cigarette packs (already in place in Oz). This is designed to make the packages less appealing. Though this might lessen the number of people buying cigarettes based upon the appeal of the advertise on the packages themselves, when will the authorities tackle the issues regarding the packaging of the myriad liquor labels out there today? Grey Goose, Sky Vodka, to name but two are far more interesting than a pack of Marlboros from a visual aspect. Also, drinking causes just as many deaths and certainly medical conditions, though different, as smoking does.

The fact is that 'Binge Drinking' in the UK is at an all time high and affects all age groups (like smoking) sort of demands that if you look at one group, then you have to look at the other. Or is the 'Nanny State' looking the other way on this issue and thinking that smoking is bad but drinking is something that is not as bad as it requires the individual to know when they have had enough... by falling down, fighting, seeing flocks of Police vans parked outside the pub, spending the night in jail, going to court, answering the possible charges of GBH, the ramifications of the Civil law case's outcome, the time needed in Rehab, and possible death due to liver failure or other physiological reasons?

Governments are interested in the costs of governing. They are also, for the most part interested in the health, safety and welfare of the population. But come on... do they really think that doing away with cigarette packaging is really the best way of doing this? For what is next... plain packaging for those junk food items, sodas, fast food places, and/or any of the other providers of things that are 'bad for us'? Or is this really about control? Though smoking is bad for you and can lead to a whole mess of health problems, and though I agree with the smoking ban in public places... the question remains, is this the best way of doing things? The targeting of one item suggests that every other should also be targeted. This leads to control by the government over all of us in the name of keeping us safe and at what cost to us and the freedoms we should have.

Maybe Thai cigarettes should be sold in plain packs? Better still, bar girls should be dressed in plain packs. That might help preserve wealth!

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

Maybe Thai cigarettes should be sold in plain packs? Better still, bar girls should be dressed in plain packs. That might help preserve wealth!

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

Look at them in the morning.......can't get much plainer than that!

• Like 1

It is a public health issue at the end of the day.

If cigarettes were invented today they'd probably be illegal.

Despite the stereotypes, governments don't collect anywhere near enough via ciggi taxes than they do out outlays treating medical conditions arising from smoking. And given that it is the government footing the bill for our health care in places like Australia and the UK, then I have absolutely no problems with the plain packaging - so long as it works. It ultimately reduces the need for taxing and outlays of government revenue that could be better spent elsewhere, while improving public health outcomes. A win win for me.

The fact that the cigarette companies have signed up countries like Indonesia to appeal this policy approach by the Australian government tells me that it does work.

I guess if you wanted to take the libertarian approach, I guess the us would be a good place to smoke. You'd be more or less on your own to cover the health care consequences or your smoking.

If a government REALLY had the balls and were serious about stopping smoking, countries that don't grow tobacco could just ban it from being imported. Plain packaging....really....smokers will simply get used to them. It's not the package it's the contents they crave.

Note: Personally, I'm not advocating banning smoking, just saying that governments could if they really wanted.

It is a public health issue at the end of the day.

If cigarettes were invented today they'd probably be illegal.

Despite the stereotypes, governments don't collect anywhere near enough via ciggi taxes than they do out outlays treating medical conditions arising from smoking. And given that it is the government footing the bill for our health care in places like Australia and the UK, then I have absolutely no problems with the plain packaging - so long as it works. It ultimately reduces the need for taxing and outlays of government revenue that could be better spent elsewhere, while improving public health outcomes. A win win for me.

The fact that the cigarette companies have signed up countries like Indonesia to appeal this policy approach by the Australian government tells me that it does work.

I guess if you wanted to take the libertarian approach, I guess the us would be a good place to smoke. You'd be more or less on your own to cover the health care consequences or your smoking.

The welsh just made vaping illegal. Nuts. But there is a point with plain packaging which is that it will make it much easier and cheaper to counterfeit product.

That might not be an issue when you are australia on an island a thousand miles from anywhere. Europe and the UK is a very different problem with taxes and smuggling. The British market could become swamped with eastern European products in plain packets very quickly.

No one signed up Indonesia. They have an enormous tobacco industry of their own.

Edited by Thai at Heart