Honda Phantom 200

tatom

Thanks in advance for your knowledge. I hope to find a shop that sells "after market" parts; specifically an oil cooler for my little Phantom. Sitting at a traffic light 20 minutes sends chills down my spine considering this is an air cooled engine. Ideally I'd love to find a shop where I can converse in the only language I know - English (sorry to say)

Keoki

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks in advance for your knowledge. I hope to find a shop that sells "after market" parts; specifically an oil cooler for my little Phantom. Sitting at a traffic light 20 minutes sends chills down my spine considering this is an air cooled engine. Ideally I'd love to find a shop where I can converse in the only language I know - English (sorry to say)

Keoki

We don't sit at traffic lights 20 min in Thailand. We go ahead and turn on the cross street, make a U-turn there, then turn back onto the original street to continue our journey.

Keoki

The phantom for the price is a great little bike, they are strong and I enjoy mine and to wait 20 mins at the lights then, Never I would have long gone with the Thai's :o

'dotcom'

I took pictures of some aftermarket goodies if anyone is interested.

Hi, I am interested in viewing your pictures. More importantly I would like to know where after market items can be purchased? I'm hoping to find an oil cooler, tach, and one leather saddle bag (for my Phantom)- the other one ??? walked away. Honda shop would gladly sell me a complete new set :-)

Thanks,

Keoki

p.s. a/b not waiting for 20 minutes at a light: I wonder why all those other bikes were beside me - most looked like Thai riders????? Appreciate the idea though, and might consider it.

'dotcom'

I took pictures of some aftermarket goodies if anyone is interested.

Hi, I am interested in viewing your pictures. More importantly I would like to know where after market items can be purchased? I'm hoping to find an oil cooler, tach, and one leather saddle bag (for my Phantom)- the other one ??? walked away. Honda shop would gladly sell me a complete new set :-)

Thanks,

Keoki

p.s. a/b not waiting for 20 minutes at a light: I wonder why all those other bikes were beside me - most looked like Thai riders????? Appreciate the idea though, and might consider it.

Just joking about some not-uncommon Thai driving practices. BTW, if cars are blocking you, just continue on the sidewalk! :o

OK. I went back downstairs. Tell me what this is? Helmet holder? I will keep looking for saddlebags.

It looks like a luggage compartment. I also have footboards on my ride. I really like having them. I think also I might want to put another seat on this ride. At times I feel like I'm too far foward :-) Maybe I miss riding my little Trumpet chooper :-)

Maybe someone could make quite a few BAHT if they opened up a shop selling after market items to English speaking bike riders. The shops listed in another BKK Mc rag are obsolete.

I'm still "workin on" my riding style to better suite BKK traffic. YIKES.

Why not try Red Baron? They have that whole warehouse of used stuff in the back, I'm sure you could find 1 saddlebag. The oil cooler might be more trouble, but I think there's a thread about it on the GT board.

Otherwise, here's the old link again for shops around BKK (I'd love to get this updated!):

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/index.html

Why not try Red Baron? They have that whole warehouse of used stuff in the back, I'm sure you could find 1 saddlebag. The oil cooler might be more trouble, but I think there's a thread about it on the GT board.

Otherwise, here's the old link again for shops around BKK (I'd love to get this updated!):

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/index.html

Thanks I'll check them out. I was unsuccessful loging into/ GT Riders.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I like the looks of the Honda Phantom and want to buy one. Having looked on the net i found second hand ones from 45-60000 Baht . How much are they new?

I would also like to hear from anybody who has/had this Bike. What are the experiences with this Bike you have/had . Good? or Bad? i want to know..

I am also wondering it has 200 cc . I am living in the Flat but like to go north driving the Hills there . Is this Engine give enough Power for that?

Thank you for your responses and if you can recommend another Bike that has the looks of the Phantom with approximately the same pricing please let me know too.

rcm :o

I bought the Phantom, purely on looks, since I didn't have a clue about bikes. It is in fact, the very first bike I've owned, or even ridden. When asking advice from people, on which bike I should buy, and listening to them rabbit on about power and "CC's", I may as well have been looking into a bloody big field, for all I understood! I paid THB 80,000 (new) almost two years ago, and I have never had a problem (except a puncture) with it. It starts 1st. time every time, and it is comfortable to ride, even though I weigh 102Kg.

I have to say that I cannot advise on it's power capabilities, since I am not a mechanic. I can, however, tell you that I have driven to Pattaya and Ratchaburi, along with my gf (43Kg), with no problems.

The only thing that bothered me, was the fact that I bought the saddle bags for it ( directly from Honda) and I was NOT a happy camper! The fasteners on the bags, after about one month, began to rust, and soon became usless. These have now been replaced with, the heavy duty plastic boxes, surrounded by chrome bars.

All in all, from an amatuer point of view, I am very happy with my Phantom. Cheers, Denis.

Hi,

I like the looks of the Honda Phantom and want to buy one. Having looked on the net i found second hand ones from 45-60000 Baht . How much are they new?

I would also like to hear from anybody who has/had this Bike. What are the experiences with this Bike you have/had . Good? or Bad? i want to know..

I am also wondering it has 200 cc . I am living in the Flat but like to go north driving the Hills there . Is this Engine give enough Power for that?

Thank you for your responses and if you can recommend another Bike that has the looks of the Phantom with approximately the same pricing please let me know too.

rcm :D

I've had to use one ocasionally and there's nothing much wrong with them per say.......but if it wasn't for the fact I was lent one free for 3 months, I wouldn't have been seen dead on one......it's not so much the mechanicals but what it says about the owner/rider that stinks....

"I'm a complete ******* with no idea about motor bikes and think that this 200cc piece of ************ is cool"...

Sorry I know this is totally subjective and not very helpful, but I really hate those bikes.

Sorry to hear that you were forced to use this excuse for a bike! I sincerely hope that you were not forced at gunpoint (although, having read what you wrote, I suspect that you were!).

I find the bike to be practical, comfortable and reliable. By the way, I do not consider myself to be "cool".

I certainly do not consider myself to be "a complete *******".

While is is true that I have no idea about motor bikes, I do not consider this bike to be a 200cc piece of ****. (I think you will find that 4 stars will suffice for the word you are trying to convey).

As regards the "Mechanicals" (sic), they've been wonderful for almost two years. Is there a little bit of ***** envy going on here? :o

It was almost 3 years ago now that I bought my Phantom (new).

The only problem I ever had, was one time I left it with my landlady to park it while I was on my way to the airport. She parked it, turned off the key, etc, etc, but when I got back 3 months later, battery was dead. (Normally when I park it myself, I disconnect the leads and the connections to the fuse box).

No big deal. Had a lad from the nearby Yamaha shop push it to his shop and put the battery on the charger. 2 hours later I went to pick up the bike and pay the bill. Except there was no bill. Asked the lad how much, and he told me not to worry about it (or words to that effect). I gave him a good tip for his time and effort.

Other than that, everything has been great. Let my dad drive it last month while he was in Pattaya. Had a great time (though he wants to buy a Harley when he goes back again) :o

I find it more comfortable for those slightly longer trips around the area (20-30 minutes or so), and it has enough zip for in the city. Ever since I bought my Harley, I've had a few people offer to buy the Honda off me, but I've turned them down. I'll hang on to it for a while longer and use it for my short city trips. I've had no regrets about buying it, and under different circumstances would probably buy another (but don't really need 3 bikes right now) !

The Honda Phantom has just enough power to pull the skin off the top of rice pudding.

The amount of street cred you will attract is similar to that of Reliant Robin owners in the UK. :o

On the other hand if you want a reliable, cheap as chips motorcycle that is comfortable enough for the average farangs wide a55 then go ahead and make the purchase! :D

Who da $%*% bakes YOUR rice pudding? :D

• 1 month later...

I just got a a new phantom yesterday and so far I am happy with it. I wish I could read Thai as the owner manual is not in english. I asked the dealer for one, but was told NO HAVE. can anybody tell me were I can get a manual?

Help please.

Here's for an older Phantom, but I really don't think all that much has changed. You can thank Issangeorge for finding it, but I don't remember where he did so I can't say if there is a newer one available now. I think you can forget about actually finding a printed one from Honda in Thailand as they are just not interested in providing one for us.

Phantom_ta200_owner_manual.pdf

Here's for an older Phantom, but I really don't think all that much has changed. You can thank Issangeorge for finding it, but I don't remember where he did so I can't say if there is a newer one available now. I think you can forget about actually finding a printed one from Honda in Thailand as they are just not interested in providing one for us.

Hey Higgy, thanks so much. I have a Phantom and was really hoping for find a manuel for it. This is a great "gift." I'm hoping to put a "super big" tire on the back, but don't know where I can find one. Reason being, and I have been riding for ???35+ years, I dumped my bike on Petchaburi Rd a/b 2 months ago. Didn't do anything crazy just made a U turn and the ass end slid out from under me like the bike was on ice - no not true b/c I recovered my Sporster on Black ice. But I kissed the road and my ankle has not been the same since. Shin grew back though :-)

Cheers,

Keoki

Can anybody give me information on how many km I should get on a full tank of fuel, I am using 91 grade fuel and have just over 200 km on my new Phantom and trying to guess when I will need a fill up. The new phantom dos not have a reserve tank only a yellow light when fuel is needed.

Edited by skipvice

My guess is that you will get about 35/36 km/l. I never tell them to fill it up anymore as they almost always try to squeeze in every last satang, and inevitably spill some on the tank. Depending on the price of the fuel (I use the red 91) I now stop them at 200 baht, which gets me around 250/300 km before I start running out of fuel and need to manually move the fuel cock to reserve (the older ones do not have the light). I really do wish they had put a fuel gauge on it.

Not only big tyres.. But some of the rubber fitted here is hard and not great..

My machine has dunlop rubber on there that I am not overly keen on.. Will look to something softer..

Thanks for your post. My g/f called the Honda dealer in BKK, and was told they do not have Dunlop tires - no surprise. Now I wonder if anyone can tell me where I can get them or even "better" softer tires. I don't want to experience the ass end going out from under me again when I make a very typical U turn. Geeze I still can hardly believe that happened. Is it me????

Cheers, Keoki

• 4 weeks later...

I've been considering a Honda Phantom and after reading these posts I think it will do what I need it to do. Reliable and comfortable are most important for me, but I would like a little extra juice if I'm in a situation that calls for it. Is it possible to have the engine modified to give it a bit more power without affecting the reliablity and durability? After market cam? etc.

If anyone has modified or knows someone who has had work done on their Phantom with a positive outcome and can give me some details let me know. Thanks.

I had to ride my partner's 2006 Phantom to our new home yesterday, on fast urban roads. I nearly killed two folks on another bike when I changed half lanes (it does not handle like a CBR150). I wonder what the engine speed is when you are cruising at 100 kph in sixth gear; no way to tell. With a ten liter fuel capacity, you seldom have to put gasoline in.