Honda Phantom 200

tatom

I want to buy a larger bike. Im getting older and can't handle much more than an hour on my 110cc scooter. Ive looked around a bit, and the Honda Phantom (200cc), looks sharp and comfortable. The price in Khon Kaen is 85,000 baht. I can afford no more than 100,000 baht, so a Harley is out of the question.

I would like to get some ideas from those who have bigger bikes. What do others ride, is the Phantom a good bike, comfortable on long trips, a good deal for the money, etc.?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totem,

I bought a Honda Phantom in Phuket last year and I think it is a great bike. It is not quick, the little rice rockets will beat you off the line every time but I don't care. It has all the power I need and like a chubby bar girl, its built for comfort not speed. They are assembled here in Thailand so parts and service are cheap and easy. You will miss the storage space you have on the smaller bikes, no basket or under seat storage but add on boxes are available(I don't like them) I ride my Phantom every day and it starts right up. There is an on going debate about the use of gasohol in motorcycles but Honda Japan says OK up to 10%( thats what the mix is here in Thailand) so I use it. It has a clutch so you need to know how to use a true manual transmission. The scooters are generally without a manual clutch and some are now fully automatic. I find the Phantom very comfortable(I'm 80Kg and 175 cm) and I know it will hold a much larger person. One last thing in reguards to comfort. It is not a "step through" bike like a scooter, you have to throw your leg over like getting on a horse(or a chubby bar girl):o Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

P

pqrin, Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we are alot alike. Im the same size, so that shouldnt be a problem. I dont care to beat all the other bikes off the starting line either. I just want to cruise in comfort. Im also not a fan of the add ons. The front baskets look awful dorky, but they do come in handy. By the way, I said I was getting older, but I can still swing my leg over the seat!

A manual transmission is no problem, I've had motorcycles all my life. Had a '67 Triumph, that was my favorite. I've also had a few Hondas and a Yamaha 650. The Japanese bikes are great because they are pretty much maintainance free.

One other question. I want travel alot, just take off for a week or so. I was wondering what to do with the bike when staying at a hotel? I stayed at a hotel in Udon once and just parked my motorbike outside in the parking lot. It didnt get stolen or damaged, but someone messed with it: turned on the lightswitch, kill button etc. What do most guys do with thier bikes when staying at a hotel? PS The sticker price for a Phantom is 85,000, think I can talk them down much? Thanks again, Tom

I bought my Phantom almost three years ago, and really enjoy it... A visiting friend enjoyed mine so much that he bought one to leave in Thailand and only ride when he comes to visit... For an "Old Man's Bike", here in Thailand, it is the best choice... I can cruise the hyway at 90 to 100 with relative comfort and still feel safe and in control... I would prefer something in the 400cc to 650cc, but not willing to pay for both the bike and the "Book" prices that I was quoted... Not as easy around town as the small bikes, but still not bad...

I was unable to get any kind of a reduction in price, but did receive lots of small "Extras" such as helmets, crash bars, jackets for both my lady and myself... Total costs including taxes, lic. plates, insurance, ect. ended up at 93,000 baht... Oh, and I find that small saddle bags are really a plus, even when just coming from the Market with a few items...

Pianoman

Having your bike played with, while you slept in a motel, sounds a bit unusual for Thailand, but you never know. It surely beats Mexico, where you're expected/required to put it indoors, even inside your room! You might geta sturdy lock for such occasions. I've got 36,000 km on my Honda in Thailand, and nobody has messed with it. At school as a teacher, I used to walk outside and find teenage boys sitting on it and admiring it, but no vandalism.

My first real motorcycle was also a Triumph Twin, early 1960's, a 650 bored out to 700, a street dragster with high compression. What a beast to kickstart!

If the dealer won't throw in saddlebags, or you're not ready for them, you could always add them on later. Bikes in Thailand are utilitarian.

there has been a good posting on choppers here, do a search on phantom, yes its a good bike for the price. I have added some extras on it as you can see.

post-23651-1149040898_thumb.jpg

Rono,

Nice looking bike :D , the custom leather does the trick. :o

I saw a Honda Magna 250 V-Twin in Phuket once (Boat Lagoon).

It looked great, much more like the real thing, rather than something dressed up to look like a cruiser.

I was hopeing they were making them in Thailand, as i couldnt believe someone would go to all the trouble of importing this bike, but never seen one since & no-one in Thailand seems to have heard of it.

Anyone seen one or got any info on it ?

Try out a JRD 'Tornado'. It's only 150cc but has twin cylinders and all the extras you could think of as standard. It's as comfortable as the Honda Phantom, a similar size, and just as quick (or slow!). The price is less than 50,000 baht

Try out a JRD 'Tornado'. It's only 150cc but has twin cylinders and all the extras you could think of as standard. It's as comfortable as the Honda Phantom, a similar size, and just as quick (or slow!). The price is less than 50,000 baht

But only if you not bothered about quality or reliability :o

If you are going to be doing any long distance riding then I think you will find the bike to be very slow and will take a long time to get anywhere. It's not the point of being able to beat anyone off the line, it's having go power when you need it. Try Baht&Sold or ThaiSecondhand websites for other choices in larger bikes.

One other question. I want travel alot, just take off for a week or so. I was wondering what to do with the bike when staying at a hotel? I stayed at a hotel in Udon once and just parked my motorbike outside in the parking lot. It didnt get stolen or damaged, but someone messed with it: turned on the lightswitch, kill button etc. What do most guys do with thier bikes when staying at a hotel?

I've stayed at many hotels over the years and have never had any problem with parking.

If someone has been fiddling with your switches then it'll be a security guy who's bored out of his skull just taking a mild interest in your bike. Having a security guard sitting on your bike means that it's not being stolen, so don't chase him off the bike.

Often, the hotel will let you park right near or opposite the main entrance, and some (small-time hotels) don't mind if you push the bike into your room.

I want to buy a larger bike. Im getting older and can't handle much more than an hour on my 110cc scooter. Ive looked around a bit, and the Honda Phantom (200cc), looks sharp and comfortable. The price in Khon Kaen is 85,000 baht. I can afford no more than 100,000 baht, so a Harley is out of the question.

I would like to get some ideas from those who have bigger bikes. What do others ride, is the Phantom a good bike, comfortable on long trips, a good deal for the money, etc.?

Hello,

I have had many British twins from the early '70s on and still have a 650cc that I did up and it goes great.

But what I want to know is;

Why does everybody that wants a motorbike in Thailand get so excited about these little machines?

200cc for gods sake!

I read a post onTV recently where they were argueing the pros and cons of Honda Waves and dreams. Give me a break.

My old 650cc is very small these days ( and very old ) where I come from.

I was riding a Honda Wave in Isaan recently and a Kawasaki Serpico ( they said it was a mans bike ) but these bikes are just transport not pleasure.

I posted in the motoring forum about this but nobody replied.

Is it a face thing?

I have an interest in upcountry Thailand and want a motorbike to look around on when we are up there. Why doesnt anyone use a dirt bike up there, maybe 250cc up.

Sorry to be a fly in the ointment but I will probably retire up there and I really need to know.

Thanks.

Hi, Vegemite,

Good post. Yes, I couldn't get excited at all about that Honda Dream vs. Wave thread; and I thought I was a superstud because I drive a CBR150 in Thailand. Not really.

The biggest engine now built in Thailand is 200 cc, and imports are questionable about legality, parts, service, etc. You can get a new BMW, though; that should do you fine, starting with their F650 single.

Thailand is a slow country for riding. As in many developing countries, you never know what's coming at you next.

One other question. I want travel alot, just take off for a week or so. I was wondering what to do with the bike when staying at a hotel? I stayed at a hotel in Udon once and just parked my motorbike outside in the parking lot. It didnt get stolen or damaged, but someone messed with it: turned on the lightswitch, kill button etc. What do most guys do with thier bikes when staying at a hotel?

I've stayed at many hotels over the years and have never had any problem with parking.

If someone has been fiddling with your switches then it'll be a security guy who's bored out of his skull just taking a mild interest in your bike. Having a security guard sitting on your bike means that it's not being stolen, so don't chase him off the bike.

Often, the hotel will let you park right near or opposite the main entrance, and some (small-time hotels) don't mind if you push the bike into your room.

Like i always say to my business partner when we're out on the Harleys "check its in neutral before you start it"

The amount of walls he's hit along with nearly falling off the koh chang ferry twice. :o

Edited by davethailand

Why does everybody that wants a motorbike in Thailand get so excited about these little machines?

200cc for gods sake!

I read a post onTV recently where they were argueing the pros and cons of Honda Waves and dreams. Give me a break.

I think for some it's their first ever bike that they've purchased or plan to own.

My first bike, a Harley 175 2-stroke, holds more fond memories for me than the several Bonnevilles and big twin Harleys that I owned later on. Because I remember clearly the near spills and close calls with death while learning to ride. Also the thrill of holding onto the bars for dear life while doing a staggering 50 mph for the first time, and of course the love and affection that was given to my new found joy. :D

It does bring a smile to my face though when someone posts a photo of their step-thru with the caption of 'This is my baby", but I can see where they're coming from. :o

I have an interest in upcountry Thailand and want a motorbike to look around on when we are up there. Why doesnt anyone use a dirt bike up there, maybe 250cc up.

I would say that a dirt bike or offroader is more ideal for riding through the countryside, towns and even cities, but they're not made here as far as I know.

An offroader certainly makes it easier to ride on muddy or dusty dirt roads, easier for riding through flooded areas with it's high ground clearance, pot holes and ruts are coped with a lot easier, the size and riding position is more suited for bigger riders too.

But the downside is that they're not very popular. So the question arises about spare parts, knowledgeable mechanics and I suppose the seat height of dirt/offroad bikes probably prevents popularity.

Ideally, a modified stepthru with raised suspension and on/offroad tyres plus maybe a change of bars and exhaust is the way to go, but everything I see sold as accessories are only for 'beautifying' or speed enhancement. :D

Hi,

I like the looks of the Honda Phantom and want to buy one. Having looked on the net i found second hand ones from 45-60000 Baht . How much are they new?

I would also like to hear from anybody who has/had this Bike. What are the experiences with this Bike you have/had . Good? or Bad? i want to know..

I am also wondering it has 200 cc . I am living in the Flat but like to go north driving the Hills there . Is this Engine give enough Power for that?

Thank you for your responses and if you can recommend another Bike that has the looks of the Phantom with approximately the same pricing please let me know too.

rcm :o

Hi,

I like the looks of the Honda Phantom and want to buy one. Having looked on the net i found second hand ones from 45-60000 Baht . How much are they new?

I would also like to hear from anybody who has/had this Bike. What are the experiences with this Bike you have/had . Good? or Bad? i want to know..

I am also wondering it has 200 cc . I am living in the Flat but like to go north driving the Hills there . Is this Engine give enough Power for that?

Thank you for your responses and if you can recommend another Bike that has the looks of the Phantom with approximately the same pricing please let me know too.

I've had to use one ocasionally and there's nothing much wrong with them per say.......but if it wasn't for the fact I was lent one free for 3 months, I wouldn't have been seen dead on one......it's not so much the mechanicals but what it says about the owner/rider that stinks....

"I'm a complete ******* with no idea about motor bikes and think that this 200cc piece of ************ is cool"...

Sorry I know this is totally subjective and not very helpful, but I really hate those bikes.

Hi,

I've had to use one ocasionally and there's nothing much wrong with them per say.......but if it wasn't for the fact I was lent one free for 3 months, I wouldn't have been seen dead on one......it's not so much the mechanicals but what it says about the owner/rider that stinks....

"I'm a complete ******* with no idea about motor bikes and think that this 200cc piece of ************ is cool"...

Sorry I know this is totally subjective and not very helpful, but I really hate those bikes.

Interesting feedback....so do you dislike Motorbikes in General or is it just the Phantom riders ?

rcm :D

Please look elsewhere, on the first or second page of this motoring forum, for another, lengthy piece about the Phantom. The 200 is a four-stroke, and I understand the defunct 150 was a two-stroke.

Westerners get special or prejudiced images of Harley Davidson riders or sportsbike "crotch rocket/rice-burner" riders. These stereotypes are nearly meaningless in the West, and even more absurd here.

If you like the looks and rides of a certain style, buy one. They have no effect on your virility unless your groin slaps the tank really hard. :o:D

The Honda Phantom has just enough power to pull the skin off the top of rice pudding.

The amount of street cred you will attract is similar to that of Reliant Robin owners in the UK. :o

On the other hand if you want a reliable, cheap as chips motorcycle that is comfortable enough for the average farangs wide a55 then go ahead and make the purchase! :D

Two similar topics have been merged. Funny jokes.

That "can't rip the topping off of pudding" remark was used in a road test of the 42 horsepower Yamaha 1982 Seca 400, which I had. It could drag-race some Chevrolet Corvette V-8's. In contrast, I doubt a Phantom 200 has 16 horsepower.

My favorite, badass, Harley Sportster full-leathered biker at the rough Sturgis meeting usually wore madras checkered shorts, Polo shirts, :o and had a girlfriend named "Muffy."

there has been a good posting on choppers here, do a search on phantom, yes its a good bike for the price. I have added some extras on it as you can see.

post-23651-1149040898_thumb.jpg

Rono,

Nice looking bike :D , the custom leather does the trick. :D

Yup

Good looking bike and still practical, must get one :D

TBWG

PS Also a pic of pgrin throwing said leg over chubby bar girl would also be interesting! :o

TBWG

It has all the power I need and like a chubby bar girl, its built for comfort not speed.

:o:D:D:D

Now that is funny!

Reading all these posts i think i'm gonna get a Chubby Bar Girl then....i look for something to Cruise and not to big (yet)- speed isn't really important . So the Phantom seems to be right. Have to explain to my wife about the Chubby Bar Girl i will take her around with....

Thank you all,

rcm :D

Interesting feedback....so do you dislike Motorbikes in General or is it just the Phantom riders ?

I've been riding bikes since I was 7 years old and I ain't no spring chicken now.

I don't hate bikes in general at all - I love 'em, and maybe that's why I hate the Phantom so much......as for the riders I don't hate them or any other "group" of people...I just like to give as I said a subjective opinion as to what I think it makes them look like - not what they actually are!

Edited by wilko

The Honda Phantom has just enough power to pull the skin off the top of rice pudding.

The amount of street cred you will attract is similar to that of Reliant Robin owners in the UK. :o

On the other hand if you want a reliable, cheap as chips motorcycle that is comfortable enough for the average farangs wide a55 then go ahead and make the purchase! :lol:The Honda Phantom has just enough power to pull the skin off the top of rice pudding.

The amount of street cred you will attract is similar to that of Reliant Robin owners in the UK. :D

On the other hand if you want a reliable, cheap as chips motorcycle that is comfortable enough for the average farangs wide a55 then go ahead and make the purchase! :D

Do I usually agree with you TW? I certainly and most wholeheartedly do on this occasion.....I wish I'd written that myself - word for word....

or as my Grandfather once said - "couldn't pull a laying hen off her nest"