Dengue fever - testing?

willfreeman

When I had dengue the early stages didn't feel like anything more than a mild cold or hayfever, but when the fever hit it did so very quickly and viciously, when I sat down for dinner I felt a little unwell and didn't really feel like eating, 15 minutes later I had a fever and was unsteady on my feet, a bit over an hour later I was being admitted to hospital with a temp of over 40c, hospital was my home for two weeks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've only been seriously ill twice in Chiang Mai in the last 12 years. Both were from mosquito bites. Blood tests determined that it wasn't dengue but a related illness (and much less serious.) I still felt horrible each time for about 4-5 days.

Be careful about taking medications. I self-medicated using ibuprofen as a pain reliever and was later told that was the worst possible drug I could have taken. The person giving me this advice was in the medical field but not a doctor, so he may have been wrong.

You can get test as early as Day 1 on dengue. It's antigen test, the antibody test, which has been using for decades can only be tested around day ~4 onwards so if you have all classic symptoms you may get tested at any hospital like Ram Lanna Sriphat they typically offer this rapid test, a CBC would as well be a good idea as it will show your platelets level which is an important indicator of how severe the disease could progress. Eventually dengue or not, hydration with electrolyte/ Gatorade and immune booster with high dose vitamin C is an early &wise step to take care of yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

When I had dengue the early stages didn't feel like anything more than a mild cold or hayfever, but when the fever hit it did so very quickly and viciously, when I sat down for dinner I felt a little unwell and didn't really feel like eating, 15 minutes later I had a fever and was unsteady on my feet, a bit over an hour later I was being admitted to hospital with a temp of over 40c, hospital was my home for two weeks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I forgot to add one other symptom I experienced, a constant headache that lasted for more than a week, it wasn't intense, just constant. I have a neck injury that causes occasional long term headaches, so I didn't really take too much notice, until the dengue hit, then the penny dropped.