Diabetic Medicines in Thailand

retarius

There must be quite a few diabetic patients in the faring community. Can anyone tell me whether metformin extended release tablets are available here in Thailand? I also take amitriptyline for neuropathic foot pain, is that available? My local pharmacies just say they don't have these medicines but can;t seem to tell me if they are available. I wish I had a MIMS book. Thanks

Yes, metformin xr is available but more commonly through a hospital dispensary. They usually try to prescribe the generic glucophage non xr . Every pharmacy has a MIMS and you can use it with some polite explanation of your purpose, in my experience.

Metformin is not cheap in Thailand ( better to get a bulk supply from your home country). I don't know about the neuropathy med....but anything to do with pain will be problematic as a "walk in " at a pharmacy ( assuming the med you mention is a strong one and specific to nerve pain)

"Amitriptyline for neuropathic foot pain, is that available?"

Amitriptyline is available. Several different brands, and a generic produced by the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) which should be relatively cheap. However, have you got the right drug? Amitriptyline is an antidepressant, not a pain killer.