One killed as rash of bombings hits Yala

webfact

SOUTH
One killed as rash of bombings hits Yala

The Nation

30231000-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A series of explosions rocked Yala yesterday, killing at least one and injuring more than a dozen in the heart of the town, provincial Governor Dejrat Simsiri said.

The first of four blasts went off at the Coliseum intersection at about 4pm. The second was in front of Raja Furniture shop, the third at an ATM machine in front of the provincial electricity office and the fourth at the Fa Sai shop. The most serious was at Raja Furniture on Sirorote Road, where an unknown person was found dead and a fire broke out after.

The body of the victim was burnt beyond recognition, police said. Fire officials fought the blaze at the shop, while many injured were admitted to a hospital in the province.

Ten wooden buildings in the area where damaged, police said. A Toyota pickup was found damaged near the furniture shop, according to police, who suspected the bombs were carried in the vehicle.

Police hoped surveillance-camera footage in the areas might be of use in identifying suspects behind the bombings.

Yala is one of several hot spots in the predominantly Muslim deep-South, where violence erupted in early 2004 and has killed more than 5,000 people so far. The government believes separatist movements are behind the violence.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-07

"No justice, no peace.

Remember Somchai Neejapajit! "

Is it really worth all this killing? Does that negate the Thais' right to life down there? Seems like there is a veritable killing spree against Thais (especially the "infidel" sort), mostly not reported but you can see googling "Pattani news" "Yala news" etc. Why is there no outcry about this (which seems like it could be considered "ethnic cleansing" given who it's directed towards) but so much outcry about the "crackdown"?

• Like 2

I just came back from yala yesterday, when I first arrive there I was shocked

they are literally preparing for a war!! not in haadyai but in betong!! right on the border

I would say Malaysia is shit stiring, I dont know... but the closer u got to that border to more bunkers and machine guns I saw

what is really going on??

How much longer will the free world population be asked to sit on their hands and do nothing???

This has to stop!!

As long as you have governments, which do not care about the people, and are only concerned how much money goes into their pockets, nothing will happen. When there was the Tsunami, in the south. The politicians went down to see how much money they could take. Millions of dollars donated by other governments came up missing. Fingers were pointer, but nothing done.

Why should ethnic-Malay Muslims be content to be part of Buddhist Thailand with their tax money going to support a religion they don't believe in? Maybe someone should try a creative solution, like maybe increased autonomy and/or a special administrative district for those three southern provinces?